StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

I have a question, yesterday I took a ride with a buddy we had an altitude change of 5200-7700 feet. We stopped for lunch at the higher altitude and when I went to start up it took a lot of cranking before she would start. It sounded like she wasn't getting enough gas. Once we made it back home no problem starting. The V-Strom is a 08 I'm the second owner and it has always been in the area.

I'm running 88 octane any suggestions on the hard starting? Not sure if there is something I should check.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Do you have an evaporative canister either cali or some years all models

When she's parked hot try like cracking the throttle as you crank

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
At that altitude, you can run 85 octane. Opening the throttle if it doesn't start right away is a standard procedure. People think it gives more gas but it actually opens the throttle plates and gives more air. The usual problem is fuel vapor from the tank vent flooding the intakes. Hot air, sun on the tank, heat rising from the engine and thin air all contribute to flooding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it wasn't the octane never heard the cracking the throttle comment before. I'll give it a try next time I head up in the hills. My buddies FJR tank did pressurize saw fuel dripping from his overflow so he opened his tank. I decided to do the same thing but mine wasn't or at least I didn't hear that normal noise when it equallize pressure.

I've only had my V-Strom 2 months not sure what you meant about the "vaporative canister either cali or some years all models". I didn't get an owners manual and I just ordered a service manual. I know the bike was originally purchased in New Mexico.

Thanks for the tip.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Altitude alone is not likely to be a problem.

I visited a pass at about 11300 feet in Colorado a while back, and wondered if the bike would start smoothly. It occurred to me that, if starting at altitude was a problem, I could coast downhill and start it that way, or eventually reach an altitude that would be OK.

Silly me, of course. The bike started up just as in Florida, where the air is sometimes like soup. I imagine it would start just as well at an altitude where I would have problems.

I think Greywolf's thesis nailed the problem, and I am glad to know the theory behind his conclusions. Thank you again, sir.

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts