StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crikey. It's hard to believe that it's four years today that my son, Lee aka Bucko, passed away - and I'm still riding his Strom that he was riding that day.

I still remember the phone call that night from the bloke leading the ride Bucko was on to tell me that he'd gone.

Lee and me:

His first bike:

Rocky (from Rocky and Bullwinkle)

A caricature given to us after his funeral:

Part of his garage (I still have the blue XJR1300 in the pic) :

Thanks for letting me post.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My deepest condolence to you. next month my son-in-law will have been passed for four years as well. he died in A collision with A deer. not quite the same I know but I can feel a little of your pain. I expect only a parent could completely understand. cherish the memories.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks icnxpln. My condolences to your family and, in particular, your daughter. It'll be tough day for you all.

In our case, no one else was directly affected, only his mother, sister, and me. He had no relationship nor kids.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My son is riding with me on his learners permit. He gets his regular real soon. It makes me stop and think of what I'm doing. He's a great rider and level headed, but still things happen. My condolences to you and your family. I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My thoughts are with you and family Ron.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps.

Let's just say I was rather teary this morning (and just a tad now).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thank you for refreshing our memories about your son Bucko, and also his death.
Mentally, we live our lives in the past, the present, and the future "all at the same time".

Frequent glances into the rear-view mirror, should be part of everyday life.
Past; present; and expectations of the future : all of it is important, and makes us what we are.
Memory is identity.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rest in peace and ride on forever Bucko, hard to come to terms with Ron.

PM if u want to go for a ride sometime.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My condolences Sir.
Loss of any Loved One is bad enough, but losing an Offspring has to be the worst of the worst.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My deepest condolences,
I had my first service on my 2011 wee on Tuesday, while talking to the mechanic who done the service, he told me that he has lost 2 sons to motorbike accidents. One hit a roo and the other had an accident with a car, not his fault. His pain was clearly evident and it was a very awkward couple of minutes. I left feeling very upset for him so i can only imagine your pain, ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My sincerest condolences. Not that it compares but I started riding when my father passed away too early at 57. Funny thing is the place I'm closest to him is when I'm riding. There are no distractions and part of me creates a quiet place and memories of Mr. Bud find me. I think it's part of why I love riding, having taken it up when he passed makes it something we share even though he never knew (and most likely would not have approved). I can't imagine your pain; but seeing your photos moved me to share. Take care.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Ron,

You have told me the story of Bucko in the past over coffee together and I'm honoured that you shared it with me.

Elizabeth and you are both in Belinda's and my thoughts at this time.

Steve

Reactions: Mustang

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for sharing and posting photos of your son Ron, it brought a tear to my eye.
It is good you still have his bike, but I do think the camo paint job needs to go back on :yesnod:. :mrgreen:
Steve

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My sentiments have been expressed by previous posts Ron,my thoughts are with you and your wife and immediate family,take care my friend and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank-you for sharing the beautiful pics of your Son, keep hold of your memories and He will never be far away.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I can't imagine losing one of my children. My deepest sympathies.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everybody, Elisabeth and I really do appreciate your kind words. It was a tough day yesterday followed by a funeral for a good friend today - someone with whom Elisabeth went through primary school and with whom she worked.

Some time ago ADM333 (David) from the AULRO/RRNET fora PMed me the to say that his F-I-L, Brian, who is a champion orchid breeder Down Under Australian Native Orchids   wanted to name one of his orchids after my late son, Lee aka Bucko.

David said:

The plant in question won an award as the best Australasian Hybrid last weekend at the Newcastle Native Group Autumn show.

Apparently there is a particular naming convention to be followed and the suggestion from Brian is D. Bucko Beckett

D indicates it is a Dendrobium.
Elisabeth and I were totally gob-smacked. His sister was amazed!

We don't know how to thank Brian and David but I had to share this with you.

Here are the pics:

I received a PM yesterday from ADM333 - his F-I-L won this and wants to send it to us:

I really don't know what to say.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi Ron,

I'm saddened by your loss, don't know if I could ever get over losing a child. My sincere condolences to you and the family.

That photo of his 1st bike, my God that is a little Ron, he is the image of you on the Strom!

All the best, catch up soon.

:cheers2:
BOB.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ron, On Wednesday when talking with you at The Shed I could see the hurt when you remembered the anniversary was coming up. I didn't really know how to properly respond, I should know better than that.
See you at The Shed next wednesday but a coffee first, check your PM.
Regards to both you and Elizabeth
Brian

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bloody hell! I thought I'd update as it's been 8 years today since our son died on the Strom and what do I find - the last post in the thread was from Saturn 5 who passed away a fortnight back. That's brought tears to my eyes.

We still miss you Bucko and we'll also miss Brian. You'd have liked Brian.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts