Strom Trooper banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Anyone who's interested, should look up the term "Shore A Hardness". It's a technical measure of rubber hardness.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had some Coopers on my Mazda6 a while ago, and those tires would flat spot overnight. It was a crazy deal. I'd leave the neighborhood with my car going, "thumpy thumpy thumpy". Not really the picture of zoom-zoom.

Back to these motorcycle tires.... There is one point this discussion is possibly missing- A dealer often won't mount tires which are more than five years, and that is because the tires may still be on the vehicle after the 10 years service guideline.

One thing to remember in regards to the OP's question. His bike has Trailwing tires. I'd toss those tires just for that reason alone.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have seen just as many radial tires "flat spot" as the bias ply did. I was in the car business for years, and that is a continuing problem.
Weird I've got many seasonal cars and trailers that site for 6-8 months at a time and have not seen a flat spot since the last bias ply tire I had on one of the jeeps

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
My Jeeps Ridge Grappler Nitto radials (34") flat spot in a week. At least they will warm up and roll round after 15 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had an old tire on our last motorhome blow out through the sidewall while unloaded on jacks one night. 100 PSI makes a very large noise in the wee hours of the morning. We had blown another tire hours earlier on the freeway but didn't know what caused the loud noise. I thought I hit something on the road. I was really tired. (yes, I stopped to check but it was an inside dual tire and I missed it at night) I don't know how old they were, but they were Michelin radial tires. I bring this up because age certainly is an issue with tires. I would never ride on old tires. Think about a front blowout on a nice corner somewhere in the mountains. You are just done.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I bought a bike with PR3's fitted from 2012, can't be more than 1000 miles on them, they feel fine and I don't ride like Rossi so I'm going to run them out for this season, I have around 1500 miles put on them, I'll fit new rubber next Spring, I see the logic of the argument but for me these will do the job this year.
Biggest risk is in the wet, and that's not an opinion......good luck and be safe.

Yup. Using those tires is a very poor choice. But good luck.

·
Super Moderator
4,599 Posts
Alrighty then, you all have been A FONT Of knowledge and help. Can't wait to see what you say about this.
Dunno about being a font of knowledge but this site is a pretty good fount of knowledge.

(Font of knowledge and font of wisdom are mondegreens) >:)

Re the hard tyres, yes, I've been told the same about a set I had. I ended up replacing them as I did want to have good grip. Did I need to? I don't know.

I've certainly had slides on wet roads in a previous 4WD with old tyres that still had lots of tread.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
heh....learned a new word today :D however ...

The question: "I would like to know what the difference is from 'font of wisdom' and 'fount of wisdom'... as obviously, you have some to spare."

The Old Editor answers: There is no difference, or rather, the only difference is your preference. Both words derive from the Latin fons, "fountain." In "font of wisdom" and "fount of wisdom," the sense of the word is "source."
Font is the earlier, having come into English before the twelfth century. Its early sense included the basin or receptacle into which baptismal water is poured as well as "fountain" and "source." (The receptacle for holy water is a stoup.) Fount dates from the fifteenth century.

Font is also a term from printing, identifying the set of metal pieces of various sizes and styles in a typeface. That word does not derive from fons, but from the Latin fundere, "found," "pour." The association is with the foundry in which the metal castings are produced. In traditional typesetting a distinction is made between the typeface, such as Bodoni, and the font, the set of metal characters. But in contemporary electronic writing and editing font and typeface are interchangeable.

It is typical of their cussedness that the British use fount for "typeface."
clear as mud eh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Motorcycle tires are rated for 5 years after the date of manufacture. They should not be used after the expiration date. The week and year of the manufacturing date is shown on every tire

Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity, make you and what you ride as safe as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. I am a tightwad when it comes to tires on anything... I use them up... All of them. Now with this said I am VERY cautious on my VStrom but I ride them all the way down and the last two rear tires ran them to the belts...
I live in Texas and out chip-seal asphalt roads when over 100 degrees KILLS TIRES. Winter is when I put in my new tires. I ride most of winter and this is when I can't afford slippage.
Back to summer, if I were you I would inspect with a flashlight and really stress the tire for visible cracks. Then if it passes that test. Move on to a ride, do a high speed emergency stop, do some u-turns in parking lots and power take off.. if the tires slip, we'll go do some BURNOUTS and have some teenager fun in a parking lot or your driveway.. safety is our number one concern over saving a buck.
I buy two rear tires a year most of the time and I run Shinko because of price and YES I've tried several other TOP name brands and they all wear out in Texas heat so I buy clearance tires and so thankful VStrom uses common sizes. Heck my latest fire I just bought last month was a Shinko 712r for 72.00... deal deal deal.
So point is inspect and use em up if they pass your inspection.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
old tires are good for burnouts, don't take long to get rid of the tread

stop before you explode the tire and flail the steel belts into your tail (I learned by observation, not doing)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Now with this said I am VERY cautious on my VStrom but I ride them all the way down and the last two rear tires ran them to the belts...
???? Cautious = running on tires with the belt exposed????

I saw a tire with metal threads exposed recently. It was sitting in the local shop waiting to be replaced.

I asked the shop owner, who sells a lot of tires, if he would ever ride on a tire like that. His reply: I wouldn't ride that one from the parking lot into the shop.

................shu

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regarding the opinion that Trail Wings should be replaced just because they "are"- Is there some evidence to show they are somehow dangerous tires and are hazardous to the rider, or is this just bullshizzle? My 2017 came with them and I've felt completely safe riding in the twisties of southeastern Ohio, albeit on pavement. They are wearing evenly and roll out smoothly, and I've only had a couple of noticeable traction control incidents, which were in turns with some debris on the road. They do fine in the rain, and appear to hold air. The only real negative I've found in forums was that they don't track well on gravel roads. I don't do much of that. Send me all of your new discards, I'll use them. Unless, of course, they are truly unsafe at any speed. Best, DD

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I remember posting a photo in some thread here of a friend of a friend in Hungary who rode his old Gold Wing from the Croatian coast to central Hungary at average speeds of 135 kph with a palm-sized chunk of rubber completely missing, down to the cords! A huge delamination. I saw the tire in person, it was crazy. Just to say, some people will take crazy chances.

Correction. The photo was of the tire, not the friend.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
As it was pointed out to me via PM unless you do not work directly in the tire industry no matter your personal experience, your thoughts, opinions and even real world experiences are merely anecdotal and are not be taken into consideration when evaluating used tires or new tires that have been in storage.

So I'll re-ask the OP's question to only the certified tireolgists; Is a 6 year old tire safe to continue to keep in service?

·
Registered
316 Posts
As it was pointed out to me via PM unless you do not work directly in the tire industry no matter your personal experience, your thoughts, opinions and even real world experiences are merely anecdotal and are not be taken into consideration when evaluating used tires or new tires that have been in storage.

So I'll re-ask the OP's question to only the certified tireolgists; Is a 6 year old tire safe to continue to keep in service?

There is no definitive answer for that question. Can it be ridden if it good shape I'm sure you can ride it, is it safe and that fine sir is the real question is completely unknown per each situation. Is a 6yr tire as grippy or as malleable or is it too malleable? Is your life worth the risk is your health worth $300 set of tires. That's for each and everyone to ask themselves. Manufactures won't stand by it at that age so why should I?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Something to consider:

If the tire was designed as a "sport" tire with soft/sticky tread rubber compounds, the aging/hardening process will not affect it as severely for 'regular' styles of riding. Whereas the 'high mileage' harder tire compounds will increase in hardness beyond safe riding standards over the same time period.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There is no definitive answer for that question. Can it be ridden if it good shape I'm sure you can ride it, is it safe and that fine sir is the real question is completely unknown per each situation. Is a 6yr tire as grippy or as malleable or is it too malleable? Is your life worth the risk is your health worth $300 set of tires. That's for each and everyone to ask themselves. Manufactures won't stand by it at that age so why should I?
Unless there is a privacy agreement or some trade protected information would it be possible to list the tire manufacturer you work for and what type tires you produce?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts