StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After close to 2000 miles now I notice that starting the bike in the morning it takes quite a few hits on the starter button for it to start, after the initial start i barely hit the button and it starts. Don't know why it is starting to exhibit this type of behavior...Anyone else having this particular issue? other then that, bike is running great, no isues...

Jeff
Austin TX

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I have not had a problem with hard starting in colder weather. What are you idling at, and have you tried a little throttle upon starting? I assume you are using premium gas.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By cold starting I mean the motorcycle is at ambient temperature, here in TX that is 70 degrees in the early morning. The owners manual states that if hard starting is detected, crack throttle 1/8"...Tried that during cranking the engine didn't seem to help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Forget about the 1/8". Open the throttle until it starts to fire if it doesn't fire right away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here on Ice Planet Hoth, Edmonton - Canada, our summer mornings are typically 43-53 F. The Vee2 has close to 6000 km and fires up right away.

If you're fueling up at multiple stations, it's not the gas. You may need to do some troubleshooting or have the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you turn the key on, you need to wait for the fuel pressure to come up. Maybe you are too quick on the starter. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
By cold starting I mean the motorcycle is at ambient temperature, here in TX that is 70 degrees in the early morning.
Cold Starting???
:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A brand new bike? it should just start. No need for throttle. It may mean that your fuel pump is not maintaining pressure and is leaking down (back?). Or it's not producing instant pressure as it should. Anyhoo...not right. get er in to the shop.

·
38,048 Posts
Really folks, in warm weather, especially if the bike has a evaporative emissions control canister, fuel vapor can get into the intakes. Opening the throttle clears it right up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Really folks, in warm weather, especially if the bike has a evaporative emissions control canister, fuel vapor can get into the intakes. Opening the throttle clears it right up.
My new V2 is also slow to start for the first start of the day. The starter grinds for a few seconds before kicking to life. Messing with the throttle before hand (or during) doesn't seem to quick the start. After that, it's starts up quickly, even if left turned off for a few hours.

pmk

·
Registered
209 Posts
My new V2 is also slow to start for the first start of the day. The starter grinds for a few seconds before kicking to life. Messing with the throttle before hand (or during) doesn't seem to quick the start. After that, it's starts up quickly, even if left turned off for a few hours.

pmk
We're into winter down here, but it seldom goes below 5C or so. I garage the bike so its probably sitting at around 10C when I start in the morning. I haven't yet seen the starter run for more than a second or so (not as long as 2 secs) before its up and running. Don't touch the throttle at all.

·
38,048 Posts
Don't touch the throttle at all.
Unless the engine doesn't fire in the first few revs. If it just goes RRR, RRR, RRR, open the throttle until there are combustion sounds. Such a situation will be fairly rare and usually take hot weather, warm and sunny weather, or a hot engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Unless the engine doesn't fire in the first few revs. If it just goes RRR, RRR, RRR, open the throttle until there are combustion sounds. Such a situation will be fairly rare and usually take hot weather, warm and sunny weather, or a hot engine.

I'll rephrase, (I) don't need to touch the throttle at all (when cold).

A hot engine start problem is often due to 'heat soak' causing fuelling problems such as vapourisation in the fuel lines. I frequently had to start with an open throttle in the past with Lycoming aircraft engines - a near full throttle setting being needed to coax them into running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts