StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the year I've owned my 02 dl1000 it has started exactly the same every time. Two weeks ago I had it out for a 500 ride and at the end, the throttle was binding up. I lifted the tank and found the fuel line rubbing on the throttle linkage. No problem, easy fix.

Today, I tried to start it for the first time after that repair and it won't start. It acted flooded and I eventually got it to start by holding the throttle wide open. After that it ran perfect and started perfectly twice more after that.

It may be my imagination but I also notice that the whine (Fuel pump?) that occurs when you turn the key seems to be going longer before stopping. My memory is that it would stop about th esame time the needle got back to their stops but now it's a solid 2 seconds after that. I never really gave it much thought before.

What could I have done by lifting the tank and messing with the fuel line routing that could have caused one hard start? And the whine, what's normal and what makes it stop?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,688 Posts
It could be a fuel filter plugged up as that would cause a longer whine, but it could just as well be you imagination. (And if it was plugged then the bypass operation can take care of it cheaply.)

I have found in general that our bikes are hard to start in normal conditions of the throttle is open even a bit. Since you were doing stuff with the cable I would check that there is enough slack in the throttle cable line so that you are not inadvertently holding the throttle open a bit.

..Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought mine was but now it's a good second or more after the needles stop. I can't be sure but seems longer. I wonder what would cause that to happen suddenly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts