StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 650 and today has been first day in nearly 4 months since I rode it, but It would not want to cooperate with me and it didn't want to wake up. Fresh battery 12.85VDC static the bike would crank crank 6-7 seconds 3 tries, finally I opened the throttle a bit and it slowly started. After almost 100 miles ride with multiple stops the bike start fine. What could it be. stale gas in the injectors? too much fuel? Bike runs fine and accelerates great with the fuel. I'm at a lost. Any ideas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
10% ethanol fuel maybe? I know I wouldn't want that junk sitting in my tank for 4 months.

Full tank of fuel when you put it away 4 months ago? Maybe a little water in the fuel?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10% ethanol fuel maybe? I know I wouldn't want that junk sitting in my tank for 4 months.

Full tank of fuel when you put it away 4 months ago? Maybe a little water in the fuel?
Full tank. Marine Stabil. I don't know, I will see again after the bike cools down. Warm engine starts on a touch. I don't know, maybe it was some stale fuel in the lines.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I switched from Stabil to Seafoam and my bike starts right up. This has been a brutal winter though and may just be some moisture in the tank. Also check for critters in the airbox area in case something is obstructed. If you can get it running just take it out to burn the old gas off. Add Seafoam... that stuff works great.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
+1 on Seafoam...I use it in wifes Civic, my V6 Accord, 2009 Vstrom, the snowblower and in my '53 Vincent...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I run a full tank of stabilized fuel before storage. Storage is also done with a full tank of stabilized fuel. If the stabilizer is only added just before storage, the fuel in the lines may not be properly protected.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a full tank of stabilized fuel before storage. Storage is also done with a full tank of stabilized fuel. If the stabilizer is only added just before storage, the fuel in the lines may not be properly protected.
I think that's what happened, Greywolf. I put the Stabil ran the engine for maybe 5 minutes and put it to storage. This could be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I try to get non oxygenated gas to store for the winter. Or add seafoam. I don't fill the tank, just more old fuel to burn.

·
38,103 Posts
Not filling the tank promotes condensation inside whenever the air temperature goes down which leads to rust and puts water in the fuel. Filling the tank with stabilized fuel before winter storage is a basic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last winter I filled my tank with fuel and added fuel stabilizer at the pump then rode the motorcycle home with the thinking the mix would find it's way to the injectors before I shut it down for the winter. It was maybe 50 fahrenheit when I started the engine and it was sluggish getting going. However it did start after only a few cranks but the stench of the exhaust was noticeable. I also leave a battery tender on throughout the winter months. If none or some of the items mentioned above were not done that might explain your symptoms. A weak battery, poor fuel, and/or cool temperatures making the engine oil thick could tax the starting after sitting for that length of time I would think.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last winter I filled my tank with fuel and added fuel stabilizer at the pump then rode the motorcycle home with the thinking the mix would finds it's way to the injectors before I shut it down for the winter. It was maybe 50 fahrenheit when I started the engine and it was sluggish getting going. However it did start after only a few cranks but the stench of the exhaust was noticeable. I also leave a battery tender on throughout the winter months. If none or some of the items mentioned above were not done that might explain your symptoms. A weak battery, poor fuel, and/or cool temperatures making the engine oil thick could tax the starting after sitting for that length of time I would think.
I filled up the bike and rode home. Put the stabil, changed the oil, cycled the engine and let it run for no more than5 min. Shut it off and put it away. This would explain that the stabilized fuel didn't make it to the lines. This morning she fired right up and ran like a top. 6-7 -8 K RPM no issues. So, I guess the fuel stabil mix made is all the way through and it's all good now. I still want to get rid of the last year's fuel and put in fresh one.

·
38,103 Posts
Just ride the bike. Now that the properly stabilized fuel has reached the injectors, it will run fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Last winter I filled my tank with fuel and added fuel stabilizer at the pump then rode the motorcycle home with the thinking the mix would find it's way to the injectors before I shut it down for the winter. ......
I follow a procedure similar to greywolfs with at least one full tank of stabilized fuel burned prior to storage and always fill the tank prior to storage. In Canada and maybe a few states where ethanol free fuel is available (shell premium has no ethanol in many areas of Canada..check the data on the pumps), I would recommend the last few fills of the season using this fuel. Back in the 70's I knew nothing of fuel stabillizer and man, had a difficult time starting bikes, outboard motors, chainsaws etc with a new season...once started they ran fine though. I run my snowblower with nothing but stabilized ethanol free fuel.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
I stopped using stabilizer several years ago. I just fill it with Ethanol free fuel just before putting it away. (In Ontario Shell Super is advertised as have no Ethanol.) I put a battery tender on it and this past winter it say in the pool house under a cover. Mind you it only really sits for about 3 months.

I found in any of the years that I first started the bikes after sitting I would do two things: turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump pressurize the system and make sure to not touch the throttle. . If I touched the throttle (usually because I touched the throttle rocker) it didn't fire up without a bit of cranking. Leave the throttle alone and it fired up in seconds or less. Today was my first time starting it (and going for a ride!) and it started in about a second and fired immediately. The temperature was about 26f.

It was a nice first ride of the season!

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
I don't have the luxury of ethanol free fuel near me. Sta-Bil marine formula takes care of it okay though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just came back from homemade obstacle track I set up in local college's parking lot. I used snow balls as cones. Bike ran like a top with one exception where the starter would crank once and stop for some reason. That was after slow riding for about 15-20 minutes. Another touch of the button and it started fine. So far it runs good and almost half of the tank of last year's fuel is gone.
Check this out.... What is her problem? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiG5aUMRD0c

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
When I use Seafoam I am very careful not to measure it..I take the can to the gas station, pour in at least 1/4 of the can, then fill up with Shell premium..
My sister in Connecticut was having some issues with her Subaru, so I told her to do the same...she called and said that although the can was kinda expensive, it seemed to have worked..I asked " what do you mean expensive - what did the can cost you..she replied $65.00... I then asked what was the size of the can..1 U.S gallon...she had dumped in 1/2 gallon of Seafoam, then filled up the tank to 50%... I was stunned.. That was over a year ago.
So, excess Seafoam, it seems, won't hurt a Subaru..and within reasonable amounts (2-6 ) ounces, hasn't hurt my Vincent either, and it sure beats cleaning out those damn Amal carbs..

·
Registered
393 Posts
When I use Seafoam I am very careful not to measure it..I take the can to the gas station, pour in at least 1/4 of the can, then fill up with Shell premium..
My sister in Connecticut was having some issues with her Subaru, so I told her to do the same...she called and said that although the can was kinda expensive, it seemed to have worked..I asked " what do you mean expensive - what did the can cost you..she replied $65.00... I then asked what was the size of the can..1 U.S gallon...she had dumped in 1/2 gallon of Seafoam, then filled up the tank to 50%... I was stunned.. That was over a year ago.
So, excess Seafoam, it seems, won't hurt a Subaru..and within reasonable amounts (2-6 ) ounces, hasn't hurt my Vincent either, and it sure beats cleaning out those damn Amal carbs..
1 gallon??....lol... that's priceless!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I haven't had the need to use any fuel stabilizers, but 100% gasoline (in 87, 89, 91 octane) is widely available across the state I live in. I've left 100% 87 octane in my lawn mower over the winter and it fires up after a pull or two in the spring.

10% ethanol fuel may be fine in the daily driver, but I don't trust it in a engine that may sit without starting for several months.

About the only disadvantage of 100% gasoline is the price premium. It usually costs about .20 to .30 more per gallon than 10% ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
good informative thread.

thank you.

be well.

rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts