StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was errand-riding around town today, with a fair bit of starts/stops, I started to have some challenges going up to 3rd gear from 2nd. It feels like I've shifted, but stays in 2nd gear. When I pull in the clutch and try again, it goes right in. I have 350 miles on the brand new ADV model, and I'm confused and a bit frustrated. :jawdrop: Shifting down from 4th into 3rd is smooth... just up from second that there seems to be a snag.
I've been doing a gentle break in, never exceeding 5000rpm's. I haven't gunned it off the line very hard, but really driving it in a pretty gentle way. Just a little juice every now and then to get the rings heated up so they seat.
The oil is at the correct level and the shifter doesn't seem to have much play in it. There are no other symptoms.
Is anyone having a similar experience or have an idea for a fix?
I though of changing the oil and filter now, but haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
FWIW. Make sure the gear shift lever returns completely after shifting into 2nd (or any gear) before shifting into 3rd (or any other gear)

I mention this because I purchased a new pair of riding boots which are still breaking in. While using the new boots I would occasionally miss an upshift because I wasn't getting the lever returned all the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've notice the same thing on mine.....I figured I was just outside the rpm sweet spot. As I get used to the bike a little more, it seems that either, I make a lot of mistakes or there is a very short range of sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I noticed the LONG length of the shifter. This means you really have to move the thing far to shift. I have noticed the gear position sensor on down shifts getting stuck with a blank, i.e. in between gears. I'm just hoping the new engine needs to wear a bit, but we will see. Sounds like a dealer thing to me if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FWIW. Make sure the gear shift lever returns completely after shifting into 2nd (or any gear) before shifting into 3rd (or any other gear)

I mention this because I purchased a new pair of riding boots which are still breaking in. While using the new boots I would occasionally miss an upshift because I wasn't getting the lever returned all the way.
This - I got a brand new pair of Sidi's that Im not using right now until I get more used to the bike. They are pretty stiff and make it harder to properly control the shifter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shifter Length

I notice it is longer than the SV. And I realize that the SV shifted similarly when new, and was a real silky mechanism by 2000 miles. Whatever the deal, it is a long way from the tractor like action of the BMW's I have ridden.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm having similar issues too since around 4000km. Lots of false neutrals between second and third. Occasionally the digital readout shows I'm in neutral when the gear is engaged. Interestingly my left foot is becoming sore because of the extra effort need to enage gear. Might have to look at the gear shift adjustment and change its position slightly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might have to look at the gear shift adjustment and change its position slightly.
We had a customer with about 70,000 miles on a GS750 years ago. He called and said his bike would hardly upshift at all but down was ok. When he showed up at our shop, my dad rode his bike all around the parking lot shifting any way he pleased. Then my dad looked at the owner's fairly new boots and asked "when did you get those boots?". The owner smiled and said something like "surely not?". Yep, it was the boots.

Why just 3rd? There may be a small difference that gets noticed there. Or possibly the shift dogs fit closer in their windows for third gear than the others. Usually high gear is one of the better fitting though. This is done to reduce drive line slack at the expense of easier shifting. Unless an adjustment of the shift pedal height helps, there isn't another adjustment to be made.

I ride a DRZ400S a lot and occasionally I miss 4th gear on it. When I do, it's because I'm back on the gas with the clutch out before the shift was completed. In my case it's poor operator technique, not a fault of the bike. :mod2_whistling:

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my case it's poor operator technique, not a fault of the bike. :mod2_whistling:[/QUO
Yeah my thinking (hoping) at this stage is that its me at not the bike. Suzuki gearboxes have a good reputation etc. My boots are same old same old. Gear shift adjustment will happen this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, well, well...
I was wearing combat touring boots that I hadn't worn on this bike before. The weather is clearing for a little bit and I'll go for a ride with softer footwear.
Thanks... I'm feeling hopeful after a little freakout:cryin:
I ordered an arsenal of farkles that have been sitting in their boxes awaiting final judgement of said machine.
Your time will come, dear farkles, your time will come...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Riding Boots and Shifting Gears

This - I got a brand new pair of Sidi's that Im not using right now until I get more used to the bike. They are pretty stiff and make it harder to properly control the shifter.
I noticed I was a bit clunky on the gear shifts when the bike was new and put it down to it being new.
Well one day I just rode with my hiking boots on and the gear box was silky smooth, then I went back to riding with my BMW boots which have a rubber patch where the shifter contacts the boot and many clunky shifts later I realized the boot can make all the difference.
The top of the boot was too grippy and it was forcing the shifter into gear, time for some new boots or a modification on the old ones.

DJB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts