StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best hard luggage for the DL650? Givi? Which one? I'm just interested in a top-case for now. Any pics?
Thanks,
-Jack

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can't state its the best since I haven't tried them all, but I just installed Hepco & Becker Junior sidecases and topcase on my new DL650.

I got them from Eurotech Motorsports. I'm very pleased with the way they look on the bike and will be posting a more thorough review and pics this weekend.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked up the Suzuki hard baggage for my 650. They where not available in black to match the bike, so I got the silver ones. Suzuki does not have the mounting hardware yet, so i ordered the Givi tubular side mounts from Arizona Motorsports. The mount for the top case is the same as the 1000. I liked the Suzuki (Kappa) cases because they had a larger painted surface than some of the others. The silver looks fine on a black bike, I think. Cases are quite nice,quality seems good, and all the locks have the same key. The price was $600, plus $220 for the mounting hardware. They are a bit large, but I should be able to carry all the things my wife needs when we go on a trip. I figure two case for her stuff, one for mine!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the color matched Suzuki/Kappa luggage set on my V-Strom, and a Givi E52 trunk on my Burgman.

The Kappa stuff is pretty, but the Givi trunk is much better quality than the Kappa. It has a better latch mechanism, it has a document compartment in the lid, it has the integral brake lights - and there is no wire to disconnect for the brake lights when you remove the trunk. There is a contact disk on the bottom of the trunk and another on the rack. Simply slide the trunk on the rack, the disks contact each other - and you're wired for the brake lights. Also, the Kappa side cases hang way out on the sides of the bike. With Givi, you can select from different sizes of side cases - you could have a large set for touring and a smaller narrower set for daily riding.

Another issue I had with the Kappa trunk was that it sealed too tightly. I rode to work one afternoon and the outside temp was in the 70's. During the evening the outside temp dropped into the high 40's. When I left work at midnight I had a heck of a time opening the trunk. I finally pushed up on the lid as hard as I could - there was a big whoosh as the vacuum seal released and the lid opened. Whew! - my helmet, gloves and riding jacket were all in that trunk. This happened to me again a couple of times - once the vacuum was so strong that it had started to cause the lid of the trunk to dent downwards! I've seen a couple of reports of other folks encountering this problem too. I finally solved the problem by drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of the trunk. So far, I haven't had this problem with the Givi trunk.

Anyway, if I had it to do over, I'd buy Givi luggage for the V-Strom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of Suzuki's topcase mount? is it the same as GIVI's? Also what was the cost of Suzuki's mount. I have a GIVI bag from another bike that I want to use.
I was also thinking of the GIVI T421 soft side bags, just wondering if anyone has tried these.
Thanks.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hard luggage

jofromsf, did you go the "enduro" route; i.e., the 30l and 40l case sizes? Also, how wide is the bag setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I got the enduro set-up. Sorry I didn't get a chance to post my review and pics yet. I believe the width was 43", but I'll double check.

They look very good on the bike as the H&B sidecase rack is very asymmetrical. This was exactly the look I was looking for, basic black sidecases that look like they were made to fit the bike; 40l on the non-exhaust side and 30l on the exhaust side.

I also topped it off with the 40l topcase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts