StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer friend called me last Saturday morning with a heads up. Yamaha was opening a website at 12:00 that day and you must "claim" one of the first shipment of T7s coming. I forgot the number of first release bikes, but it was much less than 1 for every dealer. They claimed/sold out in a couple hours. There were a bunch of people that had already left money with dealers and still had to go on the website and secure a claim number. Some buyers with deposits in already were unsuccessful getting a claim number and got their money refunded. Basically, corporate Yamaha turned the process around and now the buyer can take his claim number to any dealer(s) and negotiate a price instead of dealers being in charge and marking up the bikes they order, to what ever they want to try and get. Pretty good idea if you ask me.

Anyway, you claim one then go to your dealer with the claim number, cut a deal, and pay $500 deposit. Delivery in late June. My dealer is a personal friend and he offered to let me have it for $500 under MSRP, which would put it at $9500 and taxes, assuming I got a claim number.

I passed and decided to wait out the first wave of bikes. I just have a need to sit on one first. I guess me and the S10 are going another full season.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m shocked StCorndog, you are very fond of your Super 10. Are you thinking of adding the T7 or trading in? Are you looking to take your off-road riding to another level?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m shocked StCorndog, you are very fond of your Super 10. Are you thinking of adding the T7 or trading in? Are you looking to take your off-road riding to another level?
Part of the above. My Super 10 (now called the T12) is a great bike. I live in the sticks and we have lots of gravel road riding at my disposal. The S10 is a handful in gravel. I am about done doing real dirt bike riding anymore, since all my dirt bike friends are into ATVs and SxS.

S10s are not worth much on resale or trade in. My plan was to buy a T7 as a second bike and if it will haul enough possibly selling the S10 down the road. At least that is the wife version. Actually, I want both.

S10 = about 550lbs wet and the T7 about 450lbs. Not sure if I shouldn't get a used WR250 and really have a safer bike to fall on top of me. Decisions....decisions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like the looks of the T7, but if I get a dedicated dirt / off-road toy...I’d like something even lighter than the T7.

That thing is roughly KLR weight, which isn’t much compared to a S10, but isn’t exactly light to pick up.

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
Basically, corporate Yamaha turned the process around and now the buyer can take his claim number to any dealer(s) and negotiate a price instead of dealers being in charge and marking up the bikes they order, to what ever they want to try and get. Pretty good idea if you ask me.
Agreed. A much more "buyer" friendly program.

My wife and I are getting incrementally closer to final retirement with every day that passes. THat has got me thinking about a TAT adventure and of course a reason to think about the perfect bike for such a trip.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
My dealer friend called me last Saturday morning with a heads up. Yamaha was opening a website at 12:00 that day and you must "claim" one of the first shipment of T7s coming. I forgot the number of first release bikes, but it was much less than 1 for every dealer. They claimed/sold out in a couple hours. There were a bunch of people that had already left money with dealers and still had to go on the website and secure a claim number. Some buyers with deposits in already were unsuccessful getting a claim number and got their money refunded. Basically, corporate Yamaha turned the process around and now the buyer can take his claim number to any dealer(s) and negotiate a price instead of dealers being in charge and marking up the bikes they order, to what ever they want to try and get. Pretty good idea if you ask me.

Anyway, you claim one then go to your dealer with the claim number, cut a deal, and pay $500 deposit. Delivery in late June. My dealer is a personal friend and he offered to let me have it for $500 under MSRP, which would put it at $9500 and taxes, assuming I got a claim number.

I passed and decided to wait out the first wave of bikes. I just have a need to sit on one first. I guess me and the S10 are going another full season.
That's surprising, here in Canada they are not even selling out. Dealer near me posted that they sold the first one and had a picture of a guy riding away on it. Said they had more available. That was a week or so ago I believe.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Part of the above. My Super 10 (now called the T12) is a great bike. I live in the sticks and we have lots of gravel road riding at my disposal. The S10 is a handful in gravel. I am about done doing real dirt bike riding anymore, since all my dirt bike friends are into ATVs and SxS.

S10s are not worth much on resale or trade in. My plan was to buy a T7 as a second bike and if it will haul enough possibly selling the S10 down the road. At least that is the wife version. Actually, I want both.

S10 = about 550lbs wet and the T7 about 450lbs. Not sure if I shouldn't get a used WR250 and really have a safer bike to fall on top of me. Decisions....decisions.
The T7 IMO fits into this awkward middle ground of ADV bikes along with the likes of the KTM 790. They manufactures make them as offroad friendly as possible, at the sacrifice of onroad ability. What you wind up with is a bike that really isn't good at either. The V-strom is very road bias, and makes a great road bike (as does the S10). I just don't see the appeal of these bikes. I went with the CRF450L and couldn't be happier. It's about 230lbs lighter then the T7. I'm sure the T7 will be a riot on gravel roads, but so should your S10.

If all you want to do is gravel though, perhaps you need to look at different tires. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires are fantastic in loose gravel. They have lugs that come over the side of the tire, like what you see on a pickup truck and they work VERY well. You shouldn't really have any issues at all with the S10 on gravel.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.......................snipped........If all you want to do is gravel though, perhaps you need to look at different tires. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires are fantastic in loose gravel. They have lugs that come over the side of the tire, like what you see on a pickup truck and they work VERY well. You shouldn't really have any issues at all with the S10 on gravel.
I have my S10 set up for sport touring and only do gravel with it occasionally. I had some decent Anakee Wilds on it, but then it sucked on the road and they vaporized on one long trip I took.

I need a 2 bike solution I think, just don't know if the T7 is it or something along the lines of a smaller dual sport. I can be on gravel in less then 5 miles.

This would be an easier decision if the S10 wasn't so good at what it does. I am not fond of losing my cruise control and shaft drive either. I think the Yamaha has made me "soft".

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I have my S10 set up for sport touring and only do gravel with it occasionally. I had some decent Anakee Wilds on it, but then it sucked on the road and they vaporized on one long trip I took.

I need a 2 bike solution I think, just don't know if the T7 is it or something along the lines of a smaller dual sport. I can be on gravel in less then 5 miles.

This would be an easier decision if the S10 wasn't so good at what it does. I am not fond of losing my cruise control and shaft drive either. I think the Yamaha has made me "soft".
I'm a big fan of the 2 bike solution, the magical unicorn bike just doesn't exist. The T7 wont be nearly as good as the S10 onroad, it's a small bike and like you said lacking in features common on touring bikes.

I'd consider the CRF450L the thing is a beast, it might be more then what you are looking for as it is geared towards the performance end and is based off a motocross bike. The suspension is incredible, as is the power. If you plan on doing long distances it's not an option though, the oil needs to be changed every 600 miles. Typically my dual sports see 1200 miles a year so it's not so bad when used as intended. HOnda spent a lot of R&D on this bike and it really paid off. They did things like insulate the swing arm to reduce vibes. The 450 is on par with my Strom 1000 for vibrations, which are very low. The only issue is the throttle is very twitchy and takes some getting used to.

WR250R would be a great choice, save a few bucks and much longer maintenance intervals. You do lose a lot of power on the road though and the suspension isn't even close. But if all you want to do is bomb around on some gravel roads it would be the better choice. Also cheaper then a T7, and better for your intended purposes. Because lets face it, with a T7 and S10 in the garage, and you are going on any kind of long ride... you are taking the S10.

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
I received a dealer email from Givi about the T7 yesterday. The five years that it has taken to bring it to market allowed plenty of time for the big aftermarket folk to get their line of products ready. I can provide the email to anyone interested. It simply shows what they will have available. Pretty much standard stuff, but the soft bag option are kinda cool.

In this case, I doubt the Givi skid pan will make sense to many. Generally people who are buying this bike have a more trail mission in mind and there should be better solutions. Same for the side stand foot.

I checked out the Yamaha.USA page on the T7 ths morning. I never noticed how little foam is in that seat.

2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 Adventure Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more

Holy crap! Yamaha lowering links are $115 a pair. Tenere 700-Lowering Kit

~decent price on their rally seat. Rally Seat

$370 for a rack. Unless the V-Strom the T7 does not come with one. Tenere 700-Rear Rack

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

The Moto Guzzi V85TT seems to check a lot of the boxes.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
For moderate off road, and on road, the DRZ 400 I rented to ride around the White Rim trail in Utah was fantastic. I would not like to do tight single track with it, or much Interstate but on predictable trails it was just about right. Very tractable powerplant. I'd consider that for a two bike solution. I bought a Wr250R after trying one in single track. It wants to be revved out a lot more than the DRZ, but feels more nimble in tight stuff. The DRZ engine will pull you through stuff in a more relaxed manner. I like both qualities. I like the WR250R for it's big stator too, as I'm asking mine to do a lot (Even recharging my Cpap machine)

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
Two of my full on dirt bike buddies used DRZ 400s for trails in the cascades in the late 90s. The off road versions. They moved on to big KTMs before I quit riding dirt. I would expect a DRZs400 to be an excellent bike for the TAT. Big enough for highways, small enough for serious trails.

But then my perspective is dated. My sons 2019 KTM 350 blew me away. I would have never expected that kind of power from a 350. And seriously light.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
First rider review I've seen of the actual bike we'll be getting:

A little porkier than I'd like. But maybe right in the sweet spot for ADV bikes. Sounds like plenty of power for on-up riding, pretty good off-road manners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So...I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new T7 in America for a couple of years now, and I thought that one day soon I'll own one...that is until I took a 2-day 550-mile overnight trip on my 2018 VStrom 1000XT. We rode about 85 miles of gravel, and the rest was on the road. Here's what I came away realizing:

-I'm NOT a technical off-road rider (nor do I want to be)
-The Vee is surprisingly very well mannered on gravel roads (for some reason, it's better than my 2012 Wee was)
-Gravel roads (and moderately-easy dual-tracks) are about the most difficult terrain I want to ride on the Vee (for more technical stuff, I'll take my Honda CRF250L Rally)
-The Vee should be MUCH more comfortable than the T7 on long-mileage days.

All of that is to say that I fully endorse the 2-bike solution!!!

Other good 250cc models are:
Kawasaki KLX250s
Honda CRF250L (or the Rally version)
Yamaha XT250 or WR250

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Read a new review on the Africa Twin and the AT Adventure Sports ES on Cycle News:

Sounds like the electronics mostly get in the way. And the DCT gets easily confused in the dirt. All at a 50% price premium, or more, over the T7. Although I am surprised that the weight difference isn't greater.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts