StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, any suggestion as far as the hard cases for DL1000 and the GPS. At the moment i am kind of looking at GIVI E460 and E21, and Garmin GPS V. Any pro/con or amy different suggestions? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

'06 DL1000 red

V

·
0 Posts
I have a GPS III+ which has the same size and screen as the V and sometimes its very hard to read. I eventually plan to replace mine with something with a larger color screen.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm casually looking for the original Streetpilot. It has a large monochrome display and adequate features. eBay has 4-6 at any given time.

I have nothing to offer on hard luggage....I hate it all. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like the Streetpilot III right now. You can find some good prices on used ones on ebay. The only limitations of this one vs the newer 2620 is memory for detailed maps. I don't even find that much of a limitation. It had enough memory to get from MI to SD with detailed maps. But even if you can't cover the whole trip with detailed maps the base maps that are built in are pretty good. Also the SPIII has a nice large color screen.

What would get me to spend the money for a new model? They have some very expensive models that overlay weather radar maps on the screen. Ride around storms or know when to stop for the evening would be nice. Right now a model that does that is out of my price range at over $2K.

BTW if you go the ebay route make sure the seller has the unlock codes for the detailed maps and software. If not stay away.

K

·
0 Posts
i got the e52 topcase...works great, no instabilities and can hold a ton of stuff. i also bought two e46s for sidecases...they work really well, and give me an insane amount of cargo space. only draw back is, they make me about as wide as a vw bug, and i have to be careful not to over-load the suspension.

as for GPS: i really like my set up...i have a dell x30 handheld and a garmin bluetooth 10 GPS reciever. i velcroed the reciever to the side of the front fairing, and i velcroed my handheld over the speedo (since it shows speed anyway)
obviously this set up will run you more than just a GPS...but i get the verbal directions along with my music through my headphones, and i enjoy the functionality of a PDA anyway (great for takin notes in class)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am currently running the E-21/ V-46 combination, using GIVI mounts. I have had no issues. The E-21s are a good compromise for saddle bags, ideal for commuting, and usable on road trips. This combination will hold enough gear for a week trip if you pack apprpriately. If I was doing strictly road trips, I would probably get a set of E41s.
Can't help with the GPS, I currently have a Magellan Meridian color, with maps and destinations. Works great and will do address to address directions, extremely difficult to see on the bike, and no way to listen to the beeps at intersections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garmin GPS V

Greg
I have a Garmin GPS V with the software, Garmin mounts, soft case, powerplug adapter, operators manual, and Ram mount cradle, that I would be willing to sell for $200.

I upgraded to the Garmin 2610 because the V was hard to see in my truck. When the V was installed on my V-Strom (with the Ram Mount), I was able to position it at eye level to the gauges, well with in my viewing area. The V worked well on the V-Strom, so well I thought about keeping it for the Strom and using the 2610 for the Truck.

I don't need two GPS Units.

If you or any other Strom riders are interested, I will work a deal.

PM me or e-mail @ [email protected]. I live in CA but shipping is not a problem.

Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the Givi E21 side cases, and I really like them. As stated by others, they're perfect for commuting, and good enough for long trips if you packed appropriately.

They're the narrowest out there (within a half inch) and the least expensive setup by a long ways ($300 to my door for the complete setup vs. $1000 or more for those "other" brands).

They're versatile too - you want larger cases? Order them from Givi, they'll snap right on your mounting brackets. Try that with Happy Trail or Jesse.

You got another bike with Givi racks on it? Stick your cases on that bike, they'll also snap right on. Versatlity & practicality at an all time high, with the Givis, as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hard cases and gps

i like my givi 52 maxia with brake lite kit. as others have said, holds tons of stuff and is stable and well built. my gps is a missouri map folded neatly in my tank bag. merry christmas to all. jet

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have GIVI V46 topcase and no sidecases. The case is really nice and fits my need.

I used to have Garmin GPS V and although it was adequate for around town use, it was very limiting for any extended riding I wanted to do. The two biggest drawbacks in my opinion was very little amount of memory (19Mb, will not hold lot of maps. I had to bring a laptop for extended trips and download maps as I needed them) and City Select software is not nearly as accurate/detailed as City Navigator.

I since sold the GPS V and bought StreetPilot 2610 and couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
130 Posts
GPS

I have an old Garmin GPS II+ mounted on a shelf. I like it because I can leave it on the bike and nobody messes with it (note crossed fingers). It just tells me the basics: Where have I been, NSEW, Miles to destination, correct speed. That, and a $2 map, works for me.

I haven’t traveled north or south of the border. If I was, I would probably have to upgrade. Units are about $100 on ebay with long range antenna and brackets. Doug.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi y'all! Just found this forum! Had my DL650 since last august. Great little bike, I just love it.
As for top case, I installed the Givi 26 I had on my former bike. It is small but will easily carry a full face helmet or, a reasonable grocery bag. It was very affordable at about 90.00$ CDN. The only complaint about it is the rattles it generates over bad pavement. Otherwise, it fills my needs perfectly.

Concening the GPS, I have a Garmin Quest. I didnt use it much on the bike yet, I still need to get the motorcycle bracket( I only have the bicycle bracket) so I can use it as in the car, with the screen light on. OK, the screen is on the small side but it is color and I find it is still easy to read once you get used to it. I have used it frequently in the car and it is a precise tool to find your way, or, to get lost without worry! Oh also, the gps confirmed what most of you might already know by reading other papers, the speedometer is way off: indicated 130 kph (81 mph) is really 120 kph (75 mph).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the 46 liter topcase on my V-Strom and I use it daily for commuting and running errands. The only thing that could possible be better would be the 52 liter topcase, but then I would probably just fill that up, also. Can you ever have too much storage space? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts