StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!

Bolted-up some pistol cases from Cabela's to my SW Motech Quick-Loc racks and while they work great I was shocked at the loss of gas mileage. I expected to lose a few mpg's but dayum! Went from 43 to 34. :-(

It's like I'm driving a car with the parking brake engaged. (Yes, I have done so) ;-)

Some Pics:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/mayner/VStrom1k/Boxes/

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
43 to 34?

Have you checked it a couple of times? I'm really surprised to see that big a drop. The airflow back there is pretty messy to begin with, what with your legs and everything in the way already. I hope its not really as bad as you say because its going to change my range considerably for long trips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a set of E21's and a E45 as a trunk on my 04 DL1000 and have not noticed any difference in mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I have the E41's and I'm doing a trip out West this summer. I haven't put on many miles with the bags on yet but I'm hoping they don't knock 20% off my mpg.

K

·
0 Posts
My 1000 went from 41 to 40 when I added the less than aerodynamic Pelican cases.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went from 41-42mpg down to 39-40mpg when I added the Givi E360 sidecases and the E52 topcase. I think the E52 causes the most drag of my setup, but it's still not that bad.

Having not seen your pistol cases mounted, I still have to think it's something else. (unless you filled them with lead :D )

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After thinking on things since last night I may have jumped the gun on my estimate. I was a little pissed cause I ran out of gas about 100 yards from a gas station near my home. This bike does not feel heavy unless you have to push it. ;-)

Anyway, I thought I had plenty of fuel when I left work so I did not bother getting gas, thinking I'd stop off on my way a little closer to home. I have a dailey 100 mile commute. I thought it a little strange that the bike took only 5.54 gallons. The thing was empty as far as I could tell. There musta been a little bit sloshing around in there but I could not see or hear it.

I will run this entire tank through and see what I get. I have to admit that my earlier estimate included more city driving than usual. Since I put the Staintunes on I get "slightly" worse mileage in the city because I'm always gassing it from stoplights, just to hear the ehaust. ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ambient1 said:
Mayner,

The boxes look really good!

Mind me asking how much they were and what model they are?

Thanks
Got them from cabela's here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2D12321D

Doskosport All-Weather Gun Case item #XF-220623

They seem to be out of stock at the moment. I attached them to my Quick-Loc Racks from SW.

Easy.

For the life of me I can't remember what I paid for them. I got three. 2 for the bike and one for my guns. I think they were around 50 bucks or so. Cabela's doesn't list the price of Out of Stock items, apparently.

·
Registered
430 Posts
mayner said:
Wow!

Bolted-up some pistol cases from Cabela's to my SW Motech Quick-Loc racks and while they work great I was shocked at the loss of gas mileage. I expected to lose a few mpg's but dayum! Went from 43 to 34. :-(

It's like I'm driving a car with the parking brake engaged. (Yes, I have done so) ;-)

Some Pics:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/mayner/VStrom1k/Boxes/

Jeff

Feel sorry for you. Are you sure you measured mileage correctly? I have givi E21's on and my mileage stays at 55 mpg. I know the E21's are narrow, but mileage was one of the reasons I bot them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts