StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wandering through Harbor Freight and saw this 8 inch Flood/Spot combo light and was wondered if anyone has tried mounting one of these right below the stock headlight?
64324_I.jpg

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would be conserned about how much clearance there is, during a full fork compression. Do you have a fork brace fitted on your K9 Wee or the forks raised in the triple tree / yokes? Perhaps a single row LED light strip may be more suited idepending on the clearance that you have to work with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wandering through Harbor Freight and saw this 8 inch Flood/Spot combo light and was wondered if anyone has tried mounting one of these right below the stock headlight?
Pelonmelon, I use to run a set of LEDs like that on my DL1000. I made a mount so that it was above the headlight. The mount bolted into the bolts that hold on the part of the cowling holding the windshield. These 4 bolts were easy to access once the windshield was off. Then for added stability I put 'swing away' legs under the mount. I removed the tupperware in the wheel well. I put speed nuts in where two of the rivets were, put all the tupperware back on, and then bolted the bottom of the swing away legs into those nuts. The legs for the LED light mount had to swing out of the way or the tupperware in the wheel well could never come off. So rather than mount yours below the headlight, consider just above it. aux front LED - front view.JPG aux front LED - side view.JPG

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
What Gert Said!

There is not room under the headlight. Crunch, damage, etc. I have looked at it and talked about it a lot.

However, ... as you move forward the arc of the fender starts to move away from the horizontal line of the bottom of the headlights. You might be able to put a thinner light along the front edge under the headlight.

Or just use one of our light and light bar kits.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Yup, mind the fork travel. A high mileage rider i know didn't figure fork compression and totaled a really pricey set of lights that way. I mounted a set of lights to the reflector boss on the fork.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Tenere guys mount a 7 inch light a lot about that position,
But think it’s a single row light bar.
You might look into that and see if it would work, not sure how much clearance a Tenere has for clearance when bottomed out.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Pelonmelon

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be conserned about how much clearance there is, during a full fork compression. Do you have a fork brace fitted on your K9 Wee or the forks raised in the triple tree / yokes? Perhaps a single row LED light strip may be more suited idepending on the clearance that you have to work with.
Yes, I do have a fork brace and wondered if clearance would be an issue. Thanks for the info and advice.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE="richlandrick, post: 5505251, member: 17723"]
What Gert Said!

There is not room under the headlight. Crunch, damage, etc. I have looked at it and talked about it a lot.

However, ... as you move forward the arc of the fender starts to move away from the horizontal line of the bottom of the headlights. You might be able to put a thinner light along the front edge under the headlight.

[/QUOTE]
What Gert Said!

Thanks, Rick. I'll check them out.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I would the strongly recommend mounting pod lights to the forks. The 2 main reasons are safety and legality.

Reactions: Pelonmelon

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would the strongly recommend mounting pod lights to the forks. The 2 main reasons are safety and legality.
Advantage to fork mount is light is always aimed direction of travel.
We did that on handlebars of quads for better reading the trails at night before you got body of machine pointed that direction.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
If you are going with budget LED's (I'm a big fan of them) Amazon is a much better place to get them. HF's 3" pods are $27 each on Amazon they are $26 a pair.

The advantage of 2 pods are you can aim them to either side to illuminate the side of the road and be able to see glowing eyes before its too late. If you get side shooter they cast light forward and also to with side for a broad arc of illumination ahead and to the sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts