StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2012 DL650 in for fab work, in the past we tried to keep the bike narrow. The owners had to remove the heat shield or modify it, the 2012 rack width would be 24inches wide if you remove the heat shield or 26 inches wide our rack for the 2010 and older was 21.5. Let me know what you think we are going to production before the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ed, not much help here.... but you could always manufacture an oval slip on for a narower profile to double end the deal :jawdrop:
A plug for you: We stopped by Happy trails (you were out) this summer on the way back to Ca. to have new tires installed on our 650 and 1000. Eccelent service, price and speed :thumbup: We always appreciate you and the great people there.
Roger

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
HT

I have the HT Racks........like em. The rectangualr tubing fit my needs better than round stock would have. I believe you kept the racks "symmetrical" about the centerline of the bike (i.e. they stick out the same amount on each side)?? I don't how you could make the right side any closer to the muffler than it is now (FYI.....I made my own heat shield, put the stocker on the shelf.....wasn't ready to cut clearance slots in it just yet). The left side "extra space" gives me plenty of room to mount a 4" PVC ToolTube. You don't really see the muffler shield (or lack of) with panniers mounted. I guess you could tuck the left side in closer to the frame and delete the tooltube mounting "slot"......but then the bike would look lopsided from the rear with equal width panniers??

To answer your question: keep the racks tucked up against the muffler on the right side (i.e. deleting or modifying the shield to do so). Left side..........????????

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would think narrower is better for everyone because you don't want to limit people's options on the size panniers they can put on the bike. If the racks are too wide, many will decide on lower capacity cases, and it would even be in your interest to still be able to sell the wider cases as well as the smaller ones. Otherwise, someone else will fab narrow racks and you could lose market share.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Racks

We have a 2012 DL650 in for fab work, in the past we tried to keep the bike narrow. The owners had to remove the heat shield or modify it, the 2012 rack width would be 24inches wide if you remove the heat shield or 26 inches wide our rack for the 2010 and older was 21.5. Let me know what you think we are going to production before the end of the week.
I just got mine installed. I mounted Pelican cases. The cases got warm inside. I applied engine reflective heat shield to the bags that disapaited the heat very well. Therefore, my vote would be to keep the racks at the same width and supply/install a heat shield on both side to allow swapping sides.

BTW I did not drill the holes centered front to back. I can switch sides and move the bags forward/back for weight distribution.

I would like to echo the good job and great service. I spent several hours on the phone before placing an order. he knowledge and low pressure helped make my buying decision. Even when I installed a part wrong (real men do nit read instructions:fineprint:) they helped solve the problem over the phone.

:hurray:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the other replies. Keeping the cargo weight close to the center-line is important. I'm in the process of trading my 08 Wee for a 2012. I called Happy-Trails a couple of weeks ago to inquire about an SU-Rack for the 2012 Wee and was told that it would be in the works as soon as you could get a bike to work on. Glad to hear that this is now happening. I'll be buying 7.5" Tetons and Imnaha panniers (for day-trips) to keep the overall width as narrow as possible. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My vote is for...24" remove the heat shield.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Narrower is much better. The factory cases on the 2012 version make the bike 45 inches wide. No thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rack design

Its great to see a company looking for VOC. I spent time this fall looking at what was available commercially and didn't like any of them. My biggest complaint was the lack of symmetry for the DL650. The quest for minimum width seemed to drive this spec.
Now you must see my background. I live a moderately populated area. I think splitting lanes on expressways is nuts and there is no off road "singletrack" that a 500lb vstrom should be on (at least with me driving) that requires racks differing by three inches in width will matter. On a fire road or dirt road a slightly slimmer bike won't be noticed.
I choose to build my own and keep a few things in mind. One the heat shield is there for a reason, don't remove it. Second thing is symmetry is nice. I filled the gap on the other side with a tool tube and some day hope to make a fake exhaust tool tube setup.
As for Happy trails.... You have to make numerous customers happy with differing points of view. Would it be overly complex to carry two versions? One wider, symmetric and able to clear the stock shield and another tight as you can possibly fit design. I know in europe and other parts of the world its important to squeeze every cm out of the width and for good reason, lanes and road are small there. Many people just think narrower is better and you have to cater to that too. Even if they have no reason, you want them to buy your product.
Honestly the only place where my now wider bike stinks... is in my garage.
Thanks for listening.
:thumbup:

Hopefully the image of my bike is here. If not search my posts and you can find it...

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Narrower! :hurray: I leave them on and don't care about the looks with the boxes off.

Also, consider offering two versions...
A) Symmetric...aesthetics and room for a tool tube. For those who don't need as large of bags or don't care about width.
B) Minimum width...for those who think form should follow function and maximum storage with minimum width is important. Allows for a larger box on the left for bulky items without adding overall width. 9.5" /7.5" or 8.5"/10.5" would be good compromises...although my 9.5 X2 has only been a problem when trying to park in tight spaces like on a packed ferry (I need to be careful not to bang into stuff when it leans over on the kickstand...just because I can get it in, doesn't mean I can park :fineprint:)

Theoretically, only the left bracket would be different.:thumbup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here so far and vote to leave the heat shield on and design the rack tightly around it. The heat shield isn't for decoration...it's there for a reason. Remove it and you could get a hot pannier, and worse if you take the case off and ride you could burn yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input

Hey guys thanks for the responses, they will be symmetric so there will be room for a tool holder, we are building a pretty neat one now, I have it on my DRZ 400 and will be putting it on the Wee soon. Good riding all hope to see you at the Strom rally this year in Washington. In looking at the 2012 I don't see enough to make me want to get rid of my 08 and I will have to get used to the Miss Kitty headlights on the 2012. :bom_laugh4:
Ed

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here so far and vote to leave the heat shield on and design the rack tightly around it. The heat shield isn't for decoration...it's there for a reason. Remove it and you could get a hot pannier, and worse if you take the case off and ride you could burn yourself.
I don't think it gets hot at all...:confused: It is warm to the touch, but not hot (even after slow speed, high RPM runs). I think the shield is mostly cosmetic, although it does keep soft saddlebags of the pipe. The passenger is no where near it while riding and I don't think a momentary touch would be a problem (there are lots of uncovered spots already).

With the boxes (I have the black powder coated) there is plenty of air-gap. I have not noticed a temp difference between the sides...the sun on the black is the bigger factor.:fineprint:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new racks

Jason was able to keep them at 24.5 inches wide, they are still symmetric. Thanks for the feed back. We should have them on the web soon, we are working on instructions and web work now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Impressed to see you on here asking for customer ideas and feedback. I will definitely consider buying from you guys when I purchase a whole pannier setup for my wee.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about building both rack versions: narrow and symmetrical? Let the customer decide.
+1 on this. Would be nice to have the option. Question is if it is practical for them to be able to cost effectively offer the option. Would likely mean building two jigs.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
664 Posts
My '04 seems plenty wide with older style HT racks on it with the panniers mounted. I don't know that I'd want it to be 5 inches wider, but I figure you'd get used to it one way or another.

Maybe more of an issue for folks who really go smashing about off road, but for (illegal, so I'd never even consider) lanesplitting ;) it's nice to be on the narrow side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any update on the 2012 specific hardware?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts