StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any feedback on the Happy Trails Skid plate for the Suzuki V Strom 1000 2019 ?

I will not be doing any heavy off-road riding, gravel roads at best. I have the SW Motech crash bars and the OEM stand so my question(s) - will the HTP skid fit with these items on the bike/also how easy is it to remove when doing your oil changes ?

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
99 Posts
The HT skid plate is very heavy duty, made of 3/16" aluminum. I think it's overkill for anything other than serious off-road use.

·
2015 DL650
187 Posts
I have the Happy Trails skid plate and crash bars. The Skid plate is beefy, just as stickerbush describes. It also works with the Suzuki center stand.

You can lift the bike from the skid plate, without any issues or second thoughts

Happy shopping!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have on on my 19 1000 Adventure. Its solid and super heavy duty. If you unbolt the rear bolts it swings down for oil changes. Its pretty easy. Local company. Made in Boise. Idaho

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Loved my HT on my 2014. I have slid over logs with it, and lifted the bike under it. Very solid plate, and the mounting points are perfect. It is also easy to take off to change the oil (4 bolts).

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys thanks for all the feedback - one more question regarding the installation. Do we have to remove the center stand for the install - their customer service eluded to adding a washer to the center stand ? I know the side stand is in play for the install that I know .

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for all the questions - their install instructions do not reference the side stand in any way. So would we be able to put the bike on the center stand and install the unit ?

·
2015 DL650
187 Posts
As I recall, going from memory which can be dangerous, the center stand and rear support brackets do share common bolts. It wasn't a terribly hard process, otherwise I am sure I would remember more.

I have the Suzuki center stand

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'm gonna pass on the HP Skid plate too complicated to install - thanks for all your input !

·
Registered
99 Posts
So I'm gonna pass on the HP Skid plate too complicated to install - thanks for all your input !
Most if not all skid plate installs will require removing at least one of the side stand bolts. I just installed Ravetech skid plate on my 650, it wasn't that difficult. It took some grunt to remove the sidestand bolt due to the threadlocker on the bolt but I was able to do it with the bike on the centerstand using regular tools.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stickerbush - thank you very much the, Ravetech is one of the options I'm looking at as well as the SW Motech. If I'm not able to work on the bike while on the center stand its a no go for me!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I'm not able to work on the bike while on the center stand its a no go for me!
I don't know about the 1000s but the recent model 650s do not share mounting points between side and center stands.

Whenever working on a bike that is supported by the center stand you should secure the stand with a tie-down strap from the center stand to a secure point near the front of the bike. This will prevent the center stand from retracting while you're working on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought the happy trails skidplate and crash bars. Couldn't be happier. Quality product well thought out. Just enough holes to cool but not spray the engine with road grime. Super easy to install. Just a matter of removing bolts and putting them back. I love being able to jack the bike up from the skidplate. Even if I never offroad, I like having the oil filter and engine totally protected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do not have a Rave tech skid plate, but do have a couple of other of their pieces, and the work and fit very well.
HOWEVER, if you are in a rush, you may want to think again. When I ordered, the shipping took a LONG time. Parts were shipped, and tracking number was sent, but the actual time to receive the package was about 6-7 weeks. And this was Pre-COVID.
Now, to be fair, there may have been quicker (more expensive) shipping options, so you may want to look at that while you are on the web site.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Busted - yeah read that their delays are long somewhere. Also the Happy Trails product is on sale right know I will rethink all my options and pull the trigger this week !

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ordered a skid plate from Ravetech at the end of January, it shipped the same day I ordered it and I recieved it in about a week. The wild card with shipping from outside USA is how long the package sits in US Customs. Mine must have gone through very quickly.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i placed an order for the HT Skid plate - their customer service was great to deal with. Thanks for everyone who provided me their input !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts