StromTrooper banner

Happy Trails Rocks!

793 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  EC90T
Ordered HT teton pannier set from website. Three days later boxes showed up.

Three minutes later, boxes opened. Packaging was excellent and everything well protected.

About 1hr to install and everything was fairly simple. Instructions are OK but do need some editing. Not rocket science to install so no problem. Rack and boxes are well constructed. Bomb proof is a good term to use.

Happy and now loyal customer. Good job Happy Trails.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,783 Posts
Keep an eye on the welds on the racks, I had one break after about 8 months - 1 year of use.

If you had the boxes pre-drilled, they do the holes a bit oversize, so be careful the pucks don't "walk" a fem mm in that hole and you lose a bag.

· Registered
177 Posts
Keep an eye on the welds on the racks, I had one break after about 8 months - 1 year of use.

If you had the boxes pre-drilled, they do the holes a bit oversize, so be careful the pucks don't "walk" a fem mm in that hole and you lose a bag.
Ouch. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. So far I love mine. It's been about a year now with no problems.

· Registered
371 Posts
What size Teton kit did you get, the 7.5 or the 9"W? I'm thinking of picking up a set in the spring time and looking for some pictures on them. Could you post a couple more pictures on what they look like on the bike, I want to see how they look from straight ahead and straight behind.

For the entire kit, they are not priced that bad.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
What size Teton kit did you get, the 7.5 or the 9"W? I'm thinking of picking up a set in the spring time and looking for some pictures on them. Could you post a couple more pictures on what they look like on the bike, I want to see how they look from straight ahead and straight behind.

I would get the 9" wide ones. I have the Denali's with the narrower top and they take more fussing to pack them my wife's 9" Teton bags. Though I do like the larger capacity of my Denali Bags.

· Registered
3,783 Posts

You realistically lose about an inch of space with the metal lip that goes around the top. The bags might still be 7.5" wide but the mouth is 6.5" wide, see? For that reason alone I would go with the 9" wide version. 9" is pretty big, but it still doesn't exceed the width of the handlebars, which is an important consideration.

I have some pics that were taken just to demonstrate the bags on the bike but I am at work and can't access photobucket. If you care to see them, search photobucket for username: "MeefZah", they are in there somewhere...

If I remember I will post them later on, after work.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
Ouch. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. So far I love mine. It's been about a year now with no problems.
To be fair, I did a lot of rough road riding with them, and dropped the bike a few times, which may well have contributed to the weld break.

The bags worked 100% on pavement and smooth gravel, but when we did the trip out west last year, the washboard type stuff in Wyoming and the rocky routes like Engineer Pass caused the pucks to walk in the oversize holes and I lost a bag. It was scooped up by my buddy. Once I loctited the bolts, I had no more issues.

· Registered
371 Posts
Ah ok MeefZah, thank you for the references to the bags. I knew that they would loose some space at the top (the lip), but I did not know how much. Also I did want to know how wide they would make the back of the bike, knowing that they would not exceed the span of the handle bars helps alot.

I'll do the search on photobucket later on.
Ty

· Registered
371 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information and pictures on the Teton Pannier set. It looks like the 9" will make a nice addition to the bike.

· $tromTrooper
1,733 Posts
Tim Bernard runs one of the best Motorcycle Accessory companies on the planet. Anyone wanting farkles that will last and carry a great warranty....you should dive in!!!!

By the way, Tim recently crashed his KLR, fracturing his neck. He is ok, but is confined to the house for a few months.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
OK, here's the 9" wide:

· Registered
96 Posts
I've had the pleasure of visiting the HT shop a few times (just a few miles from my folks house), it's always a pleasure. Solid prices, great products, and fantastic service. I just got "scratch and dent" Cascades for my DL1000 (completely clean, look like new) and forgot to add the engine guards I wanted to my order, they were nice enough to cover the shipping on the guards even though it was my mistake. They've got my business.

· Registered
522 Posts
I took advantage of the smokin' sale H-T has on their silver painted 9" Tetons ($586 w/ mount for my DL1000) and couldn't be happier. The mounts went on without any drama and fit very well. The panniers are well made and the tops latch down nice and solid.

Consider me one very satisfied customer:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.