StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Happy Trails plate arrived a few days ago and today i tackled mounting it on the bike. The instruction say this is only for the Happy Trails crash bars or the OEM crash bars.

The back plate was easy enough to install although i did have to tie my handlebars up to the roof and put a couple of 2X4's under the crash bars on each side to keep the bike upright while i removed the bolts for the kickstand on the left side, and the right side center stand bolts. The rear plate fits under both sides and the original bolts go back in. Perfect fit.

The skid plate was then attached loosely to the back plate and i attempted to mount the bracket to the Givi Bars. The idea is you are supposed to place the included U-brackets behind the bar, the plate goes on the front, and two bolts to hold each side on, but the Givi Bars are too close to the engine for the U bracket to fit on the right side of the bike.

There were not a lot of options there except to use a smaller U Bracket mounted from the other direction, and this worked perfectly. It is hard to even tell unless you look for it. I was considering buying a second U bracket so they matched, but the included one is so nice i decided to leave it mismatched, makes the bike unique anyways right. ;)

This is one heck of a plate, solid construction and looks great. This plate could really take some hits and keep on going

Bracket on left (right side of bike) doesn't fit under that "Magnesium" thingamabob (engine part that looks like a motor?). It IS possible to get the bolts in, but then the plate is not centered.

The other problem I had involved the holes in the plate which were wrong for this setup. I had to drill two 5/16" holes exactly in between the other two holes to be able to mount the bash plate to it.

Once it was all together and I tightened up the bolts the whole assembly was rock solid.

I think it looks pretty good actually.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice review with great pics:thumbup:..I been wanting to get the Givi engine guards..Now I know what skids to get..they look robust..do you know what your ground clearance was before and after install?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is 7-5/8" at the back now, close to 8" at the front. I didn't measure before putting the plate on, maybe you can measure yours and then we know?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is 7-5/8" at the back now, close to 8" at the front. I didn't measure before putting the plate on, maybe you can measure yours and then we know?
Did you take that measurement with the bike on the centerstand? I have the HT skid plate also and I don't have that much clearance.

Nicely done with the pics, etc. I've been meaning to post pics of mine with the OEM bars, but work has kept me out late. Will get to it soon... hopefully

·
Registered
172 Posts
The u-bolt you used in place of the u-bracket is the way the Enduro Guardian plate mounts. I had one on my old Vee and it was the only thing I didn't care for, why make such a nice plate and then bolt it on with ugly u-bolts that will mar the finish on the engine guards?
I like my HT plate. I would like it a little better if the front wasn't quite so wide. I definitely prefer the mounting system vs the Give, SW-Motech and EG plates. Overall I think it's a winner but it would be nice if it was made specifically for the new Vee so it could have a tighter look at the front. The new Vee doesn't have the oil cooler in front like my old Vee did. The oil cooler took up a lot of the unused space behind the plate and head pipe.

Ride Safe!
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you take that measurement with the bike on the centerstand? I have the HT skid plate also and I don't have that much clearance.
Yes this was measured while on the Center stand, it just means when you see that log you need to climb over you have to do it while on the center stand. ;)

I'm too lazy to go and remeasure it now. :)

The u-bolt you used in place of the u-bracket is the way the Enduro Guardian plate mounts. I had one on my old Vee and it was the only thing I didn't care for, why make such a nice plate and then bolt it on with ugly u-bolts that will mar the finish on the engine guards?
I like my HT plate. I would like it a little better if the front wasn't quite so wide. I definitely prefer the mounting system vs the Give, SW-Motech and EG plates. Overall I think it's a winner but it would be nice if it was made specifically for the new Vee so it could have a tighter look at the front. The new Vee doesn't have the oil cooler in front like my old Vee did. The oil cooler took up a lot of the unused space behind the plate and head pipe.

Ride Safe!
Dan
I am in agreement with you, but function over form, the plate is securely mounted. I am not really bothered by scratches on the Givi bar since it is covered up anyways, it seems to scratch just by looking at it.

The plate is full coverage on the bike, it covers the muffler and everything in behind, and then presents a uniform shape. I don't think it looks too bad, and for the price it is a good deal. Any kind of custom shaping would only raise the cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will later

Sorry I cannot measure it..I tried holding it to measure without having a center stand but my eyeballs aren't long enough to read the tape measure :jawdrop:
I'll try again when I can get help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
HT Site is confusing

My Happy Trails plate arrived a few days ago and today i tackled mounting it on the bike. The instruction say this is only for the Happy Trails crash bars or the OEM crash bars.

The skid plate was then attached loosely to the back plate and i attempted to mount the bracket to the Givi Bars. The idea is you are supposed to place the included U-brackets behind the bar, the plate goes on the front, and two bolts to hold each side on, but the Givi Bars are too close to the engine for the U bracket to fit on the right side of the bike.
What is included with the happy trails skids when you order them? They show the plate for $166..then the drop down shows hardware +$88 or you can choose don't need hardware I already have.:headbang: sounds like buying obama care:thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was puzzled by that as well. The way it should read is that you can buy the plate separately for $166 (no hardware included), or you can buy the hardware separately (for $88), or you can buy them together for $254.

You need the hardware kit to install this unless you are good at fabrication.

Note they ship the plate and the hardware kit separately, or they did for me at least.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks

I was puzzled by that as well. The way it should read is that you can buy the plate separately for $166 (no hardware included), or you can buy the hardware separately (for $88), or you can buy them together for $254.

You need the hardware kit to install this unless you are good at fabrication.

Note they ship the plate and the hardware kit separately, or they did for me at least.
You make a lot more sence then they do..thank you..I mailed HT about it and here's what they said:
Daniel, all hardware is included after you select the mount kit. So what it is saying is select the color: black or bedliner material and then it is confirming you have engine guards on the bike and that you need the mount kit. I hope this helps. Thanks for your inquiry. Kurt Simpson

·
Registered
666 Posts
Of all the kits that go all the way out in front of the head pipe, this is the best looking kit so far. Nice work.

That thingie that says magnesium on it is your front valve cover. ;)

I would try to mill off the excess material on the clamp they sent with it and see if I can get it to work, but you did fine by substituting the u bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts