StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for good, reliable hard side cases for my darlin '06. Have any of youse guys had experience with Happy Trails gear?. Right now, they're having a sale on their 39 liter sidecases and mounting hardware for a little less than 6 Benjamins. What say you?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a set. They are well made and the hardware, etc fits right on. I kind of wish I would have gone with a smaller set, but am setting the bike up for a trip to Alaska and may actually need the additional space. These are the Cascades. I really like the Tetons that are on sale right now. When I got mine, they had the black color, locks and brackets on top free at that time. Locks are great - I highly recommend them.

My centerstand, skid plate, bags and highway pegs are all from Happy Trails. I like their service (may take a little while to get things) but service is great and the guy I have spoken to rides a Wee.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm looking for good, reliable hard side cases for my darlin '06. Have any of youse guys had experience with Happy Trails gear?. Right now, they're having a sale on their 39 liter sidecases and mounting hardware for a little less than 6 Benjamins. What say you?
I thin Happy Trails are great from what I've read and seen. And like the Cascades as shown. But, just looked at the sale and it's on the 9inch models only. They make the bike pretty wide!!! Might not be an issue for you. Also looks like they are non powder coated as well. Which without using bag liners the aluminum can stain things black. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Yea...Happy Trails is good stuff. A lot of us on here have their stuff. I have the Teton Bags and they are great.

As far as staining things black, that can happen. Get a roll of clear shelf linner and coat the inside of the bags and no more black marks. Cheap and easy to do.

Do a search...there are lots of threads (and pics) about Happy Trails Bags.

Here's a pic of mine.

I highly recommend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, wish you guys would not have directed me over to their site. Just added more stuff on the credit card. :jawdrop:

Pannier liner and a Laguna tank bag. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I got the 9 in Tetons in black for $699+shipping when they were on sale a couple of months ago. Good quality and shipped pretty quick.

If I had known I could get them for $125 less in silver in a couple of months, I would have waited. I needed them before a trip. The ones on sale appear to be silver powder coated and not plain aluminum. If they are coated, I'd say this is a very good buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got a set of black 7" tetons and su racks, went on without a hitch! The bags came with the locks, tie downs on top and pre drilled, so all I had to do was mount the pucks and put'em on the racks! Super easy, took about 45 minutes total! Great service also, I ordered them and didn't use the coupon code from FB, because I didn't see where to put it in ( BTW it's on the cart page), called them and they were happy to adjust the pricing! Saved me about $130!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy Trails

I just installed the SU racks. They seem to be very sturdy and well built. They are very easy to install (after reading the instructions!!!). The only issue is that the muffler heat shield really must be discarded because of the tight tolerances.

For hard cases I bought a set of Pelican IM2400 cases on Ebay for $30 each plus 10.00 shipping. These are 7" wide and have an internal capacity of 30 liters. In total I spent 400.00 for everything.

I also ordered the skid plate, nerf bars and Madstad bracket. The skid plate requires the HT Nerf Bars for installation.

I chose HT after several weeks of reading and comparing. I looked at actual installs of Givi, SW Motech, Moose, and Caribou. All did the job of mounting the luggage. What convinced me re the HT racks was the internal release process. Also I did not have to relocate the tail lights. The rack extends slightly past the lights and will give protection in a layover even if the cases are removed.

BTW I have not installed the cases yet. I am conserdering installing them with the lids facing inward to facilitate opening and removal with everything still in the cases. There are no lid braces so I am going to fashion one from steel fishing line and shrink wrap. Fastening the braces to the cases will be the only problem. I am also going to attach a backing plate to the cases with glue to offer greater structural strength at the mounting point.

For a top case I am using a Givi E45NJ with the Givi mount to the OEM rear rack. The top case cost 125.00 plus 75.00 for the Givi adapter. The case was bought at the dealer and will hold 2 full face helmets with room for small items. I am going to get some bags to fit inside for storing the contents. When on the road at a camp site the top case will convert to an ice chest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had the 9" Tetons on since right after I bought the bike in 2010. They are a good size and I have them on most of the time. They are off of the bike right now because I'm only using the bike for work commuting whenever the weather is conducive to riding. You will be happy with the setup (get the toplocks).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A local friend of mine has the big Happy Trails panniers on his Wee and loves them. He opted for the silver after hearing others talking about having the black rub off. Took his bike to Alaska and back after buying them and they held up very well. I really like my Givi bags on my Wee but those Happy Trails are tempting. Tried to swap with him, no deal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thin Happy Trails are great from what I've read and seen. And like the Cascades as shown. But, just looked at the sale and it's on the 9inch models only. They make the bike pretty wide!!! Might not be an issue for you. Also looks like they are non powder coated as well. Which without using bag liners the aluminum can stain things black. Just my 2 cents.
I just bought and installed these Teton's that are on sale. They are powercoated - silver instead of black. Before the sale I was on the fence and couldn't make up my mind on color. The black is a little hotter, but looks a bit better IMHO. $150 off made up my mind. Plus when I lay it down offroad and scratch them up it will be less noticeable.

The 9" Teton's do make the bike wide, but the 7.5" model is only 3" narrower - not much of a difference.

Super quality. The rack was perfectly to spec - no prying/stretching to make it fit as others have reported.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Guys, is it necessary to relocate the rear turn signals when installing the Happy Trails? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
signals

No need to move the signals. Everything fits well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As 568V8 said, no need to remove turn signals. Bracket bolts on. You will have to remove and replace some bolts (included in the pannier kit). Instructions are easy to follow.

I also did not have to bend/adjust the racks as reported by others - fit right on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Strider, you've got that Wee lookin' good. You're not neglecting "Traveler" are ya? I'm also a VRCC member......six2go#152. See ya.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have an older version of the racks and cases on my bike, installed by the prior owner... they are reassuringly solid, and easy to put on and take off. Mine happen to be silver.

The company is really responsive, though I can't say I've needed much from them.

Mine are (I believe) the "clif cut" where the bottom wraps around, which makes them a little more compact without taking quite as much of a hit in terms of volume. I'd give them a thumbs up, and would buy from them again if I were in a spot where I needed to replace my cases.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts