StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years and 12,000 miles ago I put a HT center stand on my new-to-me 2012 wee2. I haven't ridden in the winter on salted roads and seldom in rain and it's been garaged. The price was considerably less than an OEM Suzuki stand. At the time, I thought the gauge of the steel tubing was pretty minimal but it's functioned properly since then. All the fasteners on the stand and those provided to bolt it to the bike were unplated steel and began to rust almost immediately and now after 3 years were severely rusted - to the point of almost not being able to get them off. In addition, the stand itself was rusting badly. I planned to remove the stand, take it down to bare metal, prime, and repaint with a good quality paint. Also I intended to replace all the fasteners with stainless, using anti-seize. When I got it off, on closer inspection, the rust on the stand was bad enough that I decided to just throw the whole mess out. Also, there was one badly rusted pivot bolt that was a custom machined part that wasn't replaceable with stainless. My gripes are that either the surface prep, the priming, or paint was poor and secondly, the fasteners should have been stainless. I can't imagine that it would have increased the cost of production much to make these improvements. Long story short, I have an OEM stand on order and hopefully it'll last longer than the HT. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Three years and 12,000 miles ago I put a HT center stand on my new-to-me 2012 wee2. I haven't ridden in the winter on salted roads and seldom in rain and it's been garaged. The price was considerably less than an OEM Suzuki stand. At the time, I thought the gauge of the steel tubing was pretty minimal but it's functioned properly since then. All the fasteners on the stand and those provided to bolt it to the bike were unplated steel and began to rust almost immediately and now after 3 years were severely rusted - to the point of almost not being able to get them off. In addition, the stand itself was rusting badly. I planned to remove the stand, take it down to bare metal, prime, and repaint with a good quality paint. Also I intended to replace all the fasteners with stainless, using anti-seize. When I got it off, on closer inspection, the rust on the stand was bad enough that I decided to just throw the whole mess out. Also, there was one badly rusted pivot bolt that was a custom machined part that wasn't replaceable with stainless. My gripes are that either the surface prep, the priming, or paint was poor and secondly, the fasteners should have been stainless. I can't imagine that it would have increased the cost of production much to make these improvements. Long story short, I have an OEM stand on order and hopefully it'll last longer than the HT. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I have an OEM center stand in the classifieds with all the hardware that will save you $100+ over new.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/416445-dl650-center-stand.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't check with HT. I figured what are they going to say after 3 years? Even if they offered to replace it I wouldn't have wanted another one.

I never thought to look in the classifieds, bummer. I got a good discounted price on a new one but yours would have saved me $40. Thanks anyway!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
No, I didn't check with HT. I figured what are they going to say after 3 years? Even if they offered to replace it I wouldn't have wanted another one.

I never thought to look in the classifieds, bummer. I got a good discounted price on a new one but yours would have saved me $40. Thanks anyway!
I'll echo zener here - I've had the same problems with my Murphy stand that he's had. (And the feet of the stand are narrow enough that I find it barely stable enough even on a flat surface.) Haven't replaced mine yet, but I will soon.

I should have spent more the first time around for a stand that was more stable and would last longer than 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts

Fair enough. I thought maybe HT could have improved their process since you bought the first one, but it's understandable not to want to screw with it again. May I ask where you got your OEM stand?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ordered it on ebay (buy-it-now) from an OEM parts supplier - seller name ocp-parts-warehouse. The stand was available from a lot of different sellers but this one was least expensive and had good feedback. And I called them and they were very helpful on the phone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered it on ebay (buy-it-now) from an OEM parts supplier - seller name ocp-parts-warehouse. The stand was available from a lot of different sellers but this one was least expensive and had good feedback. And I called them and they were very helpful on the phone.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

If for some reason it doesn't work out let me know. I can save you closer to $80.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received the OEM center stand today and I wish I had been able to compare the OEM to the HT before I bought the HT three years ago. The OEM stand is so much better quality than the HT it's not even close. Way more heavy duty and the width between feet on the OEM is 4" wider than the HT making it much more stable. Before I install it, I'm going to give it a couple coats of Rustoleum satin black just to give it extra protection so it'll probably be a week before it's on. I'll add a review when that gets done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I received the OEM center stand today and I wish I had been able to compare the OEM to the HT before I bought the HT three years ago. The OEM stand is so much better quality than the HT it's not even close. Way more heavy duty and the width between feet on the OEM is 4" wider than the HT making it much more stable. Before I install it, I'm going to give it a couple coats of Rustoleum satin black just to give it extra protection so it'll probably be a week before it's on. I'll add a review when that gets done.
Great review, thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After giving the new OEM stand a couple coats of semi-gloss black Rustoleum and letting it dry for several days, I installed it today. I probably didn't need to put on the extra paint but I wasn't in a hurry and stands usually take a beating under the bike.
Mounting took about an hour because I was being careful and there were several different sizes of bolts with different torque specs. I did use the instruction booklet that came with the stand which is remarkable because it seems like nothing comes with printed instructions anymore. More often than not, you need to check out instructions online. So it was nice having the booklet. If I had it to do again it would take about 15 minutes. But that's not going to happen because this stand will last the life of the bike because the quality, weight, and ruggedness is far above that of the HT. The only difficult part was the attachment of the springs. There are two, one inside the other. I had to make a spring puller which was pictured in the instruction booklet. It's basically like a T-handled meat hook - with a 10" shank and a small hook on the end to pull the U hook on the end of each spring over the attachment point on the stand. It would have been nearly impossible to do without this tool or something like it - the springs were very strong so I had a friend help me. After the stand and all the bolts were installed and torqued, I wired the stand into the up position. Then I pulled the springs (with great effort!), one at a time, while he guided them onto the attachment lug. I started with the smaller diameter inner spring first. The stand comes with a thick rubber bumper which works great. Glad to get it done!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the review! I also have a HT centerstand on my 2015 that I'm not too happy with. No corrosion (I live in the desert), but the springs no longer hold it up tightly and the pivot hardware has developed quite a bit of play. 11k miles on my 2015, so similar usage to yours.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
spring failure

I purchased the HT centerstand about a month ago and a spring pailed within a week. I replaced with a spring from ace hardware but it is not as firm or thick as the one from HT. I emailed them and they sent me some replacements. I will probably be upgrading the bolts as well before it's too late.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts