StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Happy Trails Center Stand for a 2012 for $50. I've lowered the bike 3/4 of an inch. The HT ad I found said it won't work on a lowered motorcycle.

Has anyone tried the HT stand on a lowered 2012? Has anyone taken one to a weld shop to have it altered to fit a lowered bike? If so what did you do and how does it work?

Many thanks.

RR

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It just makes it a bit harder to get on the stand. Call them and ask if there is any other reason. I can't imagine what that would be. I have an SW-Motech stand on a 3/4" lower Glee.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,348 Posts
For what it's worth, getting my Glee on the center stand is almost too easy! I wonder about how well it will hold in position, but it has never even acted like it was going to roll forward off the stand.

That said, I would think that even on a lowered Glee a centerstand would still take only a reasonable effort to raise into position. At $50 you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just roll the rear wheel up on a thin board (1/2") then pull it back on the center stand............td

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have a center stand on my lowered V-strom, although I'm considering it. I do have a HT center stand on my lowered KLR 650, and with the stand being cut and re-welded it works very nicely. I see no reason why it wouldn't also work on a V-strom.

But, to get in the spirit of this thread, if you decide not to do it forget those other guys, PM me!! At least I will give you what you paid for it, plus shipping. :yesnod:

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
80 Posts
<<But I can't tell you where>>

A smart decision!! Since we both live in the Rockies I might beat you to it and outbid you!! :yesnod:

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I have 3/4" lowered 2011 on a Suzuki center stand. It's a harder pull to get it on the center stand since you are lifting it another 3/4". It's really tough with bags or gear loaded on the bike. When it's on the center stand the bike's rear wheel actually sits 3/4" higher off the floor than stock. I also cut 3/4" off of the side stand which makes it a lot more secure on the side stand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lowered by 1 inch and using Suzuki centre stand

I have the 2012 650 with a centre stand from the Suzuki dealer (presumably a Suzuki product). The bike has been lowered by 25mm. At 5 foot 7 inches I have to put a lot of effort into putting the bike on the centre stand, but thanks to the user who suggested a 1/2 inch slip of wood as a first-stage, I will try that.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You were correct as usual

It just makes it a bit harder to get on the stand. Call them and ask if there is any other reason. I can't imagine what that would be. I have an SW-Motech stand on a 3/4" lower Glee.
Called them as you suggested and HT said lowering the Glee just makes it a little harder to get up on the stand.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow-up for those considering HT centerstand

Well, it's on, but that install was a bear on the muffler side. Had to cut down a number 6 and number 8 hex key to tighten the bolts. After a couple of hours of struggling I put it on wrong, so beware. I stepped back and look at it and behold there was only about 3 or so inches of ground clearance. Believe it or not there are two sets of holes, I didn't even see the other set until I was trying to figure out what had gone terribly wrong. I managed to correct my error, but it took another hour. I was thinking SW Motech the whole time I was struggling.

It tucks away nicely now, but it's a bear to get up on the stand. I got a 3/4 inch board like some of you fine folks recommended and it popped up just like advertised. I'm going to ride it for a while and decide if I have it cut down and re-welded or just live with it.

$50 for the stand, $500 my labor.

RR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts