StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general ride-ability question. I am new to the DL650 having just purchased a 2008 model. I have downsized from a GL1800 Goldwing. What do you consider minimum rpm to keep the engine above when riding? My older Japanese bikes much like life below 3000 rpm or they would lug. The v strom seems to do better but is it a good idea to let it go below 3k? Thanks. Benny

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know about good idea or not, but my 2015 650 really likes 5000+, and seems to lug below about 4000. I can't imagine riding below 4000 at anything over about 35 mph. If you keep the revs up, the bike is much livelier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I am finding as I get used to the strom. I find myself keeping it at about 4K or above. Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
it's a twin, needs some rpm to smooth everything out, unlike the fours and sixes.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Gen 1 (What you have) needed about 5k to be happy. Gen 2 is O.K. at lower revs. It really doesn't matter much as long as it's not shuddering.

Ignore the rpm/speed table in the owners manual, that's a joke ;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Compare the dyno graphs for the two bikes to see the difference. The little V-Twin has to get spinning 3-4K RPM to generate any real torque whereas the GL1800 has gobs of torque even as low as 2K RPM. Torque is turning force or acceleration and one reason people love this motor is the long flat torque curve from about 3.5K to 8.5K RPM. Torque is what allows you to accelerate quickly or climb hills and rocky trails but you gotta keep the RPMs up. Horsepower (mainly) allows you to push against the wind at speed without going WOT all the time. If you have ever ridden a little 250cc bike they accelerate like hell because they are so lightweight but on the freeway the throttle is pinned because the lack of HP. Those GWs have huge fairings and wind resistance so need a lot of HP to push through the wind while touring.

My use case is mostly twisties so I like to run hot around 6K RPM so I can accelerate quickly when coming out of turn or passing Prius. At times I'll spin it all the way to redline (don't be afraid to do that) but I can feel the torque (i.e. acceleration) fade as the torque curve falls. What people like about the GL is that in traffic or touring you don't have to "pedal" when you need to get up a hill or shoot a gap in traffic, just twist the throttle. By "pedal" I mean downshifting to get the RPMs up from the normal 5-5.5K cruising RPM in order to accelerate to shoot a gap or climb a slight grade. The 650 is serviceable for touring but the GL is optimized for that use case.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
5250 rpm.
Mathematical purity.

·
Registered
867 Posts
When out in the twisties my 2017 runs happily at 5 to 6k and still has some pull left😉. And I do love the sound when you wind it open at 6k,👍

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Depends on gear you’re in and your preferences. Lower gears, around town, I think the bike is fine above 2500 rpm. As you go up in the gears it will take some more rpm.
Personally, I don’t really think about when riding,

·
Registered
849 Posts
my '05 Wee is jerky below 3500 and needs a lot of shifting if you don't want to keep it screaming around town. If I could add some flywheel weight I would try that. a lot of shifting in the twisties is part of the fun, around town it gets old.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a 2016 650 and now a 2018 650.
Both run smooth and nicely between 4,000 6,500 rpm cruising speed in any gear depending on the speed limit.
Of course I have made it to the rev limiter, but that was only to let some posers guys in the traffic lights. Pure fun.
Yes, I know , I should have changed gears at 8,000 - 9,000 ...
Anyways .. under 3,000 rpm the engine goes, even at 2,500 rpm , but don't expect good acceleration out of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts