StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding some of the complaints kind of funny. The new modern bikes are so good these days that reading about a weave or a bike following a crack in the road is quite entertaining to me. If you think you bike handles funny. Go find a 1972 Kaw 750 H2 to ride or a Old 903 Z1. These bikes of old had wiggles wobbles & shakes you would not believe. Those bikes had frames that were so bad that you would think the frames were made of alum. lawn chairs.

Just an old guy that has been behind the bars too long
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I also remember that years ago we didn't have a dozen different windscreens or seats or tires to choose from. We rode the seat that came on the bike on the tires that our dealer had available and we sat behind the screen that came on it (assuming that it even had one). We either adapted to what the bike offered or we didn't enjoy the experience.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
In my day, we used to snicker at the old geezers who started conversations with "in my day..."

:biggrinjester: :green_lol:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If you start to get nostalgic for that you can always.....................

Not that there's anything wrong with it...........................

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snicker away I deserve it. LOL My wee handles so good I would be really hard pressed to produce a tank slapper from it. Now the kids are going to want to know what a tank slapper is. Dam, some of the kids these days are amazed when they see a kick starter. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
My GS1000S was the pattern for the race bike for it's day. Mine has a V&H exhaust, 29mm smoothbores, additional ribs welded into the backbone of the frame, Works shocks, etc., etc., and when you hit 120mph you had better be hanging on, because here comes the weave. That was the norm and you just rode through it. Like you other old timers, I have to chuckle when someone is bothered by the rain grooves, vortices coming off of the semis, crosswinds, et all.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Twas even more glaring for me. I went from a 1984 Gpz750 to a 2006 Wee. It was like getting drop-kicked into the Future. As fun as those ol' classics are, I don't ever want to go back, at least not for a while!

And yes, that 120 mph hinge that appears is quite entertaining - good thing I had strong thighs to grip the tank and become my own steering damper! Noodle-city!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I remember the old days too. The good old days weren't that good. My only wish would be for a new young body to replace this old worn out one. Then I could see what the next 50 years brings about in motorcycle tech. Now that would be exciting.:thumbup:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I remember the old days too. The good old days weren't that good. My only wish would be for a new young body to replace this old worn out one. Then I could see what the next 50 years brings about in motorcycle tech. Now that would be exciting.:thumbup:
I agree. We might not have survived if we had crotch rockets and mono shock dirt bikes with real suspension travel to learn on back then, lol. Back then. SHIT, I sound like my dad.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Speaking about patterns, my old Velocette was one down and three up, on the right.
My Lightning is one down, three up, on the right,too. As a younger man I made the switch to left shifting more or less OK. I still have the BSA, and still have fantasies of restoring it one day. As an ( ahem ) older man, I wonder how it might be to switch back now...Drum brakes, a clutch pull that almost requires two hands, carbs that need to be tickled before they acknowledge my efforts to start the thing, kick start, manual choke, etc. Not that I am complaining, mind you...I had more dam fun on that thing... ! Luckily, it handled better than many of it's contemporaries, and never wobbled !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts