StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So it happened, bike fell over and bent the bars. New ones have been backordered for two weeks and dealer has no idea when they can get some. Are the bars off of the First Gen Vee the same?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I like where i sit and how the bike feels with the oem bars. Any suggestions for aftermarket?
Sorry, I don't have personal experience, but there are lots of threads on it I believe. Big B I think has Tusk ATV on his older 1000 and there is another brand ATV mid and high that seem to be popular. It might be MSR. I think Rocky Mountain ATV is a popular vendor for both the Tusk and MSR?

The most common complaint on the stockers is grip angle and flex. I can relate to the angle, but my wrists don't hurt from it. I'd like to try a set myself just for the added stiffness.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me and I just ordered a set of Tusk T-10 aluminum KX High bars off amazon for $27 shipped. It was either these, or the CR highs as I don't want to lengthen cables. These are .25 higher, 2+" wider and 3" swept back. I'm pretty narrow, so I might cut an inch off each side. Anyway, something like these may work. They should improve feel being less flexible.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Tusk ATV sport bend, plenty of room for cables and controls.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Surprised they would bend so easy just falling over. Guess adding a brace might be preventative medicine. Hey, but wait! Your right. At twenty or thirty bucks you might as well just throw on a stronger set.:thumbup:
Again, tho. Any cable or hose probs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Surprised they would bend so easy just falling over. Guess adding a brace might be preventative medicine. Hey, but wait! Your right. At twenty or thirty bucks you might as well just throw on a stronger set.:thumbup:
I was looking at the aftermarket bars because they are powder coated instead of painted and they are way better quality! Post pics please.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I cannot speak for the Vee2, but on the original Strom I had zero issue with cable routing using the Tusk sport bend bar. Strong aluminum and the added center brace makes them pretty stout bars.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Surprised they would bend so easy just falling over.
I'm not. Not at all.

When I first sat on a '14 V-Strom at a bike show, I could visibly flex the bars with my bare hands. Same junk bars that have always been delivered on stock V-Stroms.

Replace them with any decent set of dualsport bars with a cross bar (MSR, ProTaper, Renthal, whatever).

Also consider doing away with the completely unnecessary bar end weights. They just exacerbate the flexing of the stock bars, and are just useless after replacing the stock bars with decently stiff aftermarket bars. The V-Strom is plenty smooth; it doesn't need dead weight vibration dampers.

JET

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I find the stock bars too wide. I'd order something stiffer with the same rise, but more narrow by an inch or so. I assume they make them that wide to act as "feelers' for the hardbags so you don't get caught when filtering or something.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I installed my MSR ATV bars on the weekend on my old Vee. That cross bar makes all the difference. For me, the rigidity of the aftermarket bars made more of an improvement to handling than the fork brace (YMMV).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I find the stock bars too wide. I'd order something stiffer with the same rise, but more narrow by an inch or so. I assume they make them that wide to act as "feelers' for the hardbags so you don't get caught when filtering or something.
They are a pain when filtering between the mirrors of taller utes and such like, not a problem with normal sedans. If I could lose the bar weights and put on Barkbusters that might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Barkbusters come with weights and have to be used with the V2. They are smaller, tho. I figure there still may be some vibe that needs absorbing.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Could probably just cut a half inch off either end of the bar and see what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd be a little wary about sticking on very rigid bars, as its possible that it might expose some vibration issues as Toady suggests. In addition, I can't really see an issue with a little flex in the bar and its only very slight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts