StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone backed in to my bike and knocked it over on its right side.

Now the handlbars point slightly cockeyed to the left with the wheel pointing straight.

Has any had to re-align their handlebars with their forks after such an accident ?

What is the best way to straighten this out ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Start by loosening all the bolts on the triple clamp. Everything may just spring back into place. If that doesn't work, though, you may be looking at a bent bar, or worse, bent forks.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Someone backed in to my bike and knocked it over on its right side.

Now the handlbars point slightly cockeyed to the left with the wheel pointing straight.

Has any had to re-align their handlebars with their forks after such an accident ?

What is the best way to straighten this out ?
I bent my handlebars after a little get-off .

I managed to straighten the bars with a 5' length of pipe and a specially fabbed insert to fit snugly between the two to prevent pinching and left the bars on the bike. It took me and my son (who's considerably stronger than me) it was more ,difficult than I expected, but we were successful.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bent my handlebars after a little get-off .

I managed to straighten the bars with a 5' length of pipe and a specially fabbed insert to fit snugly between the two to prevent pinching and left the bars on the bike. It took me and my son (who's considerably stronger than me) it was more ,difficult than I expected, but we were successful.
Interesting idea.

Since the handlebars were struck on the right side, I think I'd have to remove the throttle assembly(or maybe just the bar-end ?) to do what you are talking about.

Not sure how you fabbed the insert, or where you found a piece of pipe(or steel rod) that would fit tightly inside the handlebar with your 5' cheater pipe slid over the outside. Also, how did you hold the front wheel when you began twisting on the forks ? Did you just lock them then have one of you hold the bike from turning over ? Please you fill me in.

Sure would be nice if I could do it that way. Hopefully the forks weren't twisted or damaged, or, have to be re-aligned.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start by loosening all the bolts on the triple clamp. Everything may just spring back into place. If that doesn't work, though, you may be looking at a bent bar, or worse, bent forks.
I think the handlebars are at least bent, and I'm praying that the forks aren't bent and unable to be re-aligned. Loosening up all the pinch bolts in the triple tree(with the wheel supported) is a good idea.

Thank you for your suggestion.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
XL,

I bent the right side (throttle side) towards the rear after hitting some ice in a turn at about 35 MPH last December.

I placed a little block of aluminum in the right-hand stop on the frame to prevent pinching any wires or cables in there, I secured it with some modeling clay.

The pipe was a 5' length of 3/4" schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe from a wide mouth clamp assembly borrowed from a neighbor.

The insert was cut from a steel tire iron, ground slightly to fit inside the handlebar. An insert made from 3/4" copper pipe fit between the cut tire iron and the galvanized pipe on the other end of the tire iron piece, just to take some slop out of the operation.

I held the bike and my son got out on the end of the steel pipe and pushed. We did it in small increments, bending slightly past the desired point to account for "spring". The end of the bar remained round, there's no difference in throttle operation and the handlebars are straight again.

It took a considerable anount of effort, the tire iron piece ended up with a little bend in it, the 3/4" pipe remained straight.

When you're done, you can use the pipe to confront the idiot who bumped your bike.

Good luck,

Norm

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

Works on the brake peddle too.

Just keep riding.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This shows the proper use of an OSHA-Approved "Ugly Stick".
Indiscriminate use will result in a motorcycle that looks like....................

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
This shows the proper use of an OSHA-Approved "Ugly Stick".
Indiscriminate use will result in a motorcycle that looks like....................
You are just jealous and you know it!

The thing is a total chic magnet.

(People throw Chiclets at me when I ride through towns.......)

Don't you think it looks better after all of the work I did to it this past winter? Or, was that last winter......

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You are just jealous and you know it!

The thing is a total chic magnet.

(People throw Chiclets at me when I ride through towns.......)

Don't you think it looks better after all of the work I did to it this past winter? Or, was that last winter......
I don't care how much you cut that thing up, it's not a chick magnet.

The only times women have approached me while I'm riding has been on my wife's Harley. I somehow managed to neglect to tell tham that it's my wife's Harley.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I don't care how much you cut that thing up, it's not a chick magnet.

The only times women have approached me while I'm riding has been on my wife's Harley. I somehow managed to neglect to tell tham that it's my wife's Harley.
The attraction is, they feel sorry for me and want to try to make things, "all better again."

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I love your style BL :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have an OEM set of handlebars if you want them. They're straight and in reasonable condition.

Or maybe I should hold a contest asking people to post funny stories why they deserve the handlebars more than anyone else. Then, after dicking around with that for a month, I'll give them to some guy who says "I don't have any handlebars."

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The attraction is, they feel sorry for me and want to try to make things, "all better again."
But the problem with that is, most often the age bracket of those well meaning, and doting females is between 70 and 85 years old....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
But the problem with that is, most often the age bracket of those well meaning, and doting females is between 70 and 85 years old....
So you're cougar bait?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
So you're cougar bait?
Depends how big the diamonds are that the cougars are wearing!

I just finished talking with Matthew and Michael Heinz, the sons of Chris Heinz, the man who has the designed one of the kit planes I am interested in building. I am at Huronia Airport located in Midland, Ontario.

So........ If the diamonds are big enough to purchase me a kit plane along with an engine, then I am in!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Free is Good

I have an OEM set of handlebars if you want them. They're straight and in reasonable condition.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what is 'reasonable condition' ?
That is, why did you change them ?

Also, what year, model and ABS/Non-ABS(there's a difference, the switch gear holes are on the other side on ABS models) ?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When you're done, you can use the pipe to confront the idiot who bumped your bike.
Tempting.

I still can't figure out what this guy was doing near my bike on his lunch break at work. I don't think his assigned parking spot is anywhere near mine, and I have not seen his vehicle on that level of the parking garage before, or since. I also think he works in the same building as a girl who might be pissed off at me. I'm think I"m going to do some more research on this guy.

First I've got to deal with the insurance adjuster on Monday.

Then I'll have to start working on fabricating that tool.

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Or maybe I should hold a contest asking people to post funny stories why they deserve the handlebars more than anyone else. Then, after dicking around with that for a month, I'll give them to some guy who says "I don't have any handlebars."

Post Whoring !

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Tempting.

I still can't figure out what this guy was doing near my bike on his lunch break at work. I don't think his assigned parking spot is anywhere near mine, and I have not seen his vehicle on that level of the parking garage before, or since. I also think he works in the same building as a girl who might be pissed off at me. I'm think I"m going to do some more research on this guy.

First I've got to deal with the insurance adjuster on Monday.

Then I'll have to start working on fabricating that tool.

Thanks.
"Chicks = Trouble" - Nikki Sixx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts