StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my bike for a ride, I took my arms off the handlebars while I was coasting and noticed the handlebars shaking, and it's bad enough I can't see out of the mirrors. There's too much wobble, has anyone noticed this? The bike has 500 miles, no luggage just me. Iv ridden plenty of bikes and never saw a shake like this. Everything in the front seems good.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I just took my bike for a ride, I took my arms off the handlebars while I was coasting and noticed the handlebars shaking, and it's bad enough I can't see out of the mirrors. There's too much wobble, has anyone noticed this? The bike has 500 miles, no luggage just me. Iv ridden plenty of bikes and never saw a shake like this. Everything in the front seems good.
This is happening on a brand new motorcycle? With only 500 miles on it? Heck the tires aren't even worn yet!

Your steering stem bearings are loose.

Head up to the "Google Custom Search" dialog box at the top of the page and type in, "Wee Wobble", "Decel Wobble", "Front End Shake", and "Handlebar Shake".

You will find a host of riders who have, and have had, this problem.

You will also find a host of solutions that riders use to alleviate the symptom that you are seeing and feeling.

B.L.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The bike should still be under warranty. Take it in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is under warranty, and I just researched previous threads and I guess it's not too big a deal. I'll torque everything and go over it, maybe there's an obvious problem. Did your wee 2 do it greywolf? I rode it for 500 miles and have taken off my hands plenty of times while coasting, so something must be out of adjustment, or I just didn't notice because I was so happy being on my new bike.

·
38,048 Posts
My Glee works very well. I don't have any complaints. I can ride with my hands off the handlebars and steer by moving my body on easy bends. It's shimmy free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My glee does it. I even took it in to the dealer since it is under warranty (I never let dealers work on my bikes) and their solution was to tighten the steering head bearings. They were so tight it scared me to ride home. I loosened them a full turn before they met the specs in the shop manual:headbang:. (again why I don't let dealers work on my bikes) The steering head bearings are still a little tighter than spec and it still wobbles. I can't seem to find anything wrong and I still get a slight wobble. :furious: I need to get the front wheel of and try rebalancing it to see if that fixes it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The steering head bearings are still a little tighter than spec and it still wobbles.
Tighten in 1/8 turn increments and it will go away. There are a lot of torque specs in the manual that are out to lunch.

My 2012 does NOT wobble. My 2007 wobbled until I did what I just suggested to you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can guarantee that on mine the steering stem bearing is not the issue. The dealer over tightened mine so bad it was almost unrideable and mine still wobbled. Mine is still a little tighter than I like and the wobble is still there. I need to check tire mounting and balancing on my front wheel yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tighten in 1/8 turn increments and it will go away.
A person needs to be very careful about tightening or loosening the steering head bearings. It can dramatically affect the handling of the bike. Too tight or too loose will affect how the bike handles in corners. If the bearings are too tight the bike will not properly "fall" into corners and will tend to want to "stand up".

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Johnny, I kinda agree with you with tightening the stem bearings. I will try it anyway and see what happens. My mechanic told me it's not the those bearings, he said it would be obvious and the wobble would happen at any speed. You may hear some knocking too I they were loose enough. I would like my steering a little tighter anyway. Mine only wobbles as I decelerate through around 45mph. Let me know what happens with yours.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question I have is, I have been hearing a noise coming from the chain sprocket right by my left foot, I only hear when I am giving it throttle or cruising at a steady speed. When I left off, it goes away. Is this normal, my previous bike was shaft driven so I'm not too sure. It not the engine, sounds fine when I rev it, seems like it does it when there's tension on the chain. My riding buddy even hears it when he is beside or behind me.
How do you clean and what do you use to lube the chain. Should I actually use degreaser, then relube it, or simply hose it down, then spray some chain lube.
Any help is much appreciated.

·
38,048 Posts
Chain drives make noise. V-Tom gets the best chain life I've seen for somebody who doesn't use an automatic chain luber mounted on the bike. He never cleans his chain, just lubes it every fuel fill up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
head shake

When I installed a different set of tires on my '06 years ago I got a bit of a hands off shake but my new '12 (2300 miles now) is shake free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That leads me to believe that it's the dealer and how they assembled it. They are identical bikes, they should ride the same stock

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A person needs to be very careful about tightening or loosening the steering head bearings. It can dramatically affect the handling of the bike. Too tight or too loose will affect how the bike handles in corners. If the bearings are too tight the bike will not properly "fall" into corners and will tend to want to "stand up".
I'm well aware, I bought the Suzuki tool and I've been in there a dozen times. Too tight and the bike plows, too loose and the handlebars shake. You COULD have another problem, like an out of round tire. It happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A slightly out of true rim, out of round tire, or out of balance tire can cause this. In these cases, the shake generally happens only in a certain speed range. I had a BMW K100 with a bad shake and it was fixed by trueing the REAR rim. My Wee has as light wobble now between maybe 42 to 48 mph. It's not too bad but I haven't confirmed yet the reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah some of the airpanes that I fly do this too. At a certain speed on the ground the nosewheel shakes. They have shimmy dampaners on them. It bothers me more on the bike because most of my commute is exactly at the speed it wobbles. I like to ride with one hand and it wobbles with the handlebars. I feel like its getting worse. I wish I had time to take it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts