StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This seems to hit all the buttons

Has an off switch that looks to be nicely protected.

Dual USB out and a Voltmeter. After two stator failures last summer a Voltmeter was on the must have list as an early warning.

Handlebar mount too.

I don't need the 12 V socket but might come in handy for a small compressor and the unit is fused. cable was long enough with some to spare. Like that type of open connector so did not have to take the battery bolts out to connect.
Came with 4 handy tie wraps for the cabling. Getting the handlebar mount on was fiddly ....the unit clips on and off the handlebar mount.......you need 3 hands to compress the clip and then get the screw ( finger screw ) lined up. Will have to check

https://www.amazon.ca/BlueFire-Waterproof-Voltmeter-Cigarette-ATV(Black)/dp/B075D7SQ1F/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525456277&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=usb+motorcycle+handlebar&psc=1

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wasn't sure about all the lights and gauges so I opted for the bare bones, no lights or switches. I've hooked it up and left it to see if I get any drain which it doesn't seem to. It's an incomplete circuit till you plug something in right? So unless I forget I'm charging something I should do ok. Thinking I may get a volt meter to check the voltage on occasion. Kinda like this one.

USB Car Charger With Voltmeter - Dual Port 3A

·
Registered
466 Posts
A 12V cigarette lighter doesn't have any parasite drain whatsoever, but a 5V USB does. How big the drain is, depends on the quality of the internal circuits.

I tested my el cheapo 12V to 5V converter for a cigarette lighter socket, and that one will drain the battery in about a months time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nice to see it comes with ceramic pad cigarette butts. Lol.

I have a similar one on the Gixxus, wired to a switched circuit on the fuse block.

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
A 12V cigarette lighter doesn't have any parasite drain whatsoever, but a 5V USB does. How big the drain is, depends on the quality of the internal circuits.

I tested my el cheapo 12V to 5V converter for a cigarette lighter socket, and that one will drain the battery in about a months time.
Yup which is why I mentioned that, I've heard of some draining in less than a week.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My testing tells me quality USB ports have a drain because of the way they drop the voltage from 12v to 5v.

The elcheapo ones have no drain.

My Zumo cradle has a 0.02amp draw so it would take a long time to drain down a healthy battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My testing tells me quality USB ports have a drain because of the way they drop the voltage from 12v to 5v.

The elcheapo ones have no drain.

My Zumo cradle has a 0.02amp draw so it would take a long time to drain down a healthy battery.
The cheap ones may have no drain when not in use but can potentially heat up in use or if you have a funky electrical system they may result in your charger/device not doing so good.

The best option long term is to buy a decent one which should use less power (when in use) and then wire it up properly.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
My shameful brain can and will forget to turn the switch off, so the charger/accessory circuit on all my bikes is powered by a relay. That way, I get full voltage and it shuts off automagically.

Also, if you plan to run an air pump through one of these circuits, install a bigger fuse. 10 amps will blow sometimes, 15 should be OK and still plenty safe if you get a short.

That particular gadget seems ridiculously large, and the lights would be distracting, but I guess that's a matter of personal taste. There are lots of neat USB charging widgets on Amazon and Fleabay.

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
Your steering stem looks crowded. I have enough trouble reaching the key without another box in front but it's great to have all the gadgets you can get!
There ought to be an award for anyone who can out do Greywolf for a busy cockpit!

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's actually not all that bad. Another rider set one up.

and mine from a better angle ...in practive I really don't notice the key as they have to go straight down anyways.

My cockpit is small compared to most adventure bikes as the CBF1000 is quite compact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts