StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done them yet and know how much we can go without extensions? Same as the old models or any changes good or bad?

I’m 6’3” and thinking about 2” Rox risers with Adventuretech lowered pegs might get me close if I can make it all work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have installed Rox setback risers and adv tech footpeg lowering brackets. The Rox setback risers move bars up and back approximately 1". No need for longer cables, however cables need to be relaxed by removing ties and chrome cable routing loops. This mod was a must for me....making a huge difference in comfort.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have installed Rox setback risers and adv tech footpeg lowering brackets. The Rox setback risers move bars up and back approximately 1". No need for longer cables, however cables need to be relaxed by removing ties and chrome cable routing loops. This mod was a must for me....making a huge difference in comfort.
This is exactly the setup I'm running with this week, hope its an improvement!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am trying to understand and figure out if I need this modification. Were you uncomfortable riding or experience after-riding fatigue? I

·
Registered
257 Posts
These are SW-MOTECH 30mm (1.2 inch) risers I installed on my bike, no issues with cables at all. My arms are more comfortable on long distance trips, not so much riding in the city.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just bought a pair of 2" risers from Amazon.....$70. Looks just like ROX . Same material. Great fit and looks! 10 thumbs up!

·
#motoref
224 Posts
I just bought a pair of 2" risers from Amazon.....$70. Looks just like ROX . Same material. Great fit and looks! 10 thumbs up!
Could I get a link? and for 100% clarity - this is on an 2017+ 650?

·
Registered
198 Posts
wolf , sure wish you could go into more detail and some pictures. I just installe d the same and everything is tight! Please explain and pictures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, this is Mark from Rox. Wanted to jump in and offer a bit of advice. First, here is a link to our risers that work on the Vstrom 650: goo.gl/gbxg3d

Second, here is a promo code you (or anyone else) can use to get the price down to under $70. Free shipping in the USA as well! Promo code: STFORUM

That being said, I wanted to offer a bit of a warning when it comes to those chinese risers from eBay and Amazon. I’ve attached some pictures we recently received from a customer that had them break while he was out riding. The risers must have had some kind of crack in them that wasn’t visible initially. When the guy hit some rough terrain one of the risers snapped off, which then caused a pretty nasty crash. The other riser snapped off when the bike hit the ground. Luckily he wasn’t on the highway or a main road when it happened. Could have certainly been worse!

Just want to make sure everyone is safe out there. We’ve had some guys get into rough accidents with our risers and what will happen is the bar, the faring, and everything else will bend and break before the risers ever move position. If put under a massive amount of stress our risers will bend, but they will NEVER snap off like you’ll see with these cast metal chinese risers. Ours are machined from a solid chunk of aircraft grade aluminum.

Our 2" risers will work the stock cables on all non-ABS models of the Vstrom with some minor cable rerouting. ABS models generally require a +2 brake line.

Safe riding, everyone! Reach out if you have any other questions. Always happy to chat. Our shop phone is 218.326.1794. :grin2:

Note: The forum wouldn’t let me post any images or links without having 10+ other posts, so here’s a link to them: imgur.com/a/yTxchUD

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
#motoref
224 Posts
H
Our 2" risers will work the stock cables on all non-ABS models of the Vstrom with some minor cable rerouting. ABS models generally require a +2 brake line.
After a lot of tweaking, I was able to get the 2" installed on my 2017. I cannot stand them up straight, but actually like the extra extension and less than 2" lift.

I wish I had the code on Wednesday, but thank you for your generous offer!

Scott

Reactions: rustyoletoy

·
Registered
198 Posts
I disagree with Wolfcreek comments. I just install Rox to my wife 2018 and they are all tight. Will have to add the brake cable and even all of the cables that came factory some how needs to be extended. They are stretch tight like a banjo wire. NOT GOOD. I did all of the cutting of cable ties and all that, just no more extra to be got. Still the risers is still not in the position that she needs it to be. Maybe I should have gotten less than 2" risers. But on my 2015 the 2" ROX RISERS worked except for the brake cable which I extended.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
I got 2" ROX on my 2017, but I put them "forward", so my arms are extended more. As a cyclist, that is a position I am very used to. (Honestly... if you look at them from the SIDE... they are basically just HIGHER, maybe a little forward. There is nothing tight, just re-zipped and re-aligned in a couple cases.

I will likely extend the brake lines someday, but for now, I have my bars higher and like.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi everyone, this is Mark from Rox. Wanted to jump in and offer a bit of advice. First, here is a link to our risers that work on the Vstrom 650: goo.gl/gbxg3d

Second, here is a promo code you (or anyone else) can use to get the price down to under $70. Free shipping in the USA as well! Promo code: STFORUM

That being said, I wanted to offer a bit of a warning when it comes to those chinese risers from eBay and Amazon. I’ve attached some pictures we recently received from a customer that had them break while he was out riding. The risers must have had some kind of crack in them that wasn’t visible initially. When the guy hit some rough terrain one of the risers snapped off, which then caused a pretty nasty crash. The other riser snapped off when the bike hit the ground. Luckily he wasn’t on the highway or a main road when it happened. Could have certainly been worse!

Just want to make sure everyone is safe out there. We’ve had some guys get into rough accidents with our risers and what will happen is the bar, the faring, and everything else will bend and break before the risers ever move position. If put under a massive amount of stress our risers will bend, but they will NEVER snap off like you’ll see with these cast metal chinese risers. Ours are machined from a solid chunk of aircraft grade aluminum.

Safe riding, everyone! Reach out if you have any other questions. Always happy to chat. Our shop phone is 218.326.1794. :grin2:

Note: The forum wouldn’t let me post any images or links without having 10+ other posts, so here’s a link to them: imgur.com/a/yTxchUD
I'd like to order a set Mark but neither link seems to work for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting all the feedback for others, Scott. Super helpful.

I tried to look up your order in our system in order to refund the difference in price that the promo code would have gotten you. I didn’t see anything though. Darn! Guessing RevZilla or someone else probably got you taken care of. Maybe next time though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like to order a set Mark but neither link seems to work for me.
Sorry for the trouble! If you PM me your email address I can create the order on my end with the promo code for you and then just fire you the link to submit payment. Or you can always give us a call: 218.326.1794

·
Registered
5 Posts
I disagree with Wolfcreek comments. I just install Rox to my wife 2018 and they are all tight. Will have to add the brake cable and even all of the cables that came factory some how needs to be extended. They are stretch tight like a banjo wire. NOT GOOD. I did all of the cutting of cable ties and all that, just no more extra to be got. Still the risers is still not in the position that she needs it to be. Maybe I should have gotten less than 2" risers. But on my 2015 the 2" ROX RISERS worked except for the brake cable which I extended.
This is the first we’ve heard of cables being too tight on the 2018. Is the rest of your bar setup 100% factory? On some bikes it can help to run the cables behind or outside of the triple tree itself. That generally just a matter of putting the bike on the center stand, dropping the fork tubes on each side, bringing the cables out, and then raising the fork tubes back up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info guys. I bought a set of 2” RoxSpeed risers. I put them on my 2017 dL-650 and they worked without any complications.

The perfect spot for me was with the risers directly over the factory mounts but I couldn’t snug up the bolts. I pushed them forward just enough to get my Allen key in. Then angled the bars back slightly to get them perfect. There is enough slack I could go either more back, up or forward.

At 6’3” with this and Adventuretech’s footpeg lowering kit I can stand vertical finally. It makes the bike feel bigger too which I sort of like. Pushing it into place in my garage it feels almost like a dirt bike - a heavy dirt bike.

Brake lines, clutch and throttle cables were all fine. I had to remove the bolt at the base of the front brake line for enough slack. The left side electrical wires were too tight so I removed them (two Phillips screws and unplug a connector) and was able to pass them through and around to bring them up on the other side of the bars with tons of extra wire now. A few zap straps had to be removed. The right side there are two wire guides that held the cables I found moving the cable in the center guide to the right edge guide helped there. Again I think a zap strap had to be cut.

No body panels needed to be removed or fork tubes pulled or anything more significant than reaching in with wire cutters to cut the zaps or an 8mm socket for the brake line and a Phillips screwdriver for the left side electrical.

Overall I think it was an hour or two worth of work taking it easy and testing different positions for the handlebars and looking at what was tight or loose to get happy.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Cast risers = bad. These are solid billet CNC and are very hefty/beefy. I've been using a pair of 1-1/8" on my current ride. They do come in 7/8" size in either black or silver. Just some FYI ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-8-28mm-Pivot-CNC-Handlebar-Riser-Clamp-for-BMW-R1200GS-Adventure-X-Country/162595962248?hash=item25db797d88:m:muVjcI_1_fSP8Zski6idrfA
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072QZV5FK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought these off amazon that look the same but now after seeing the post here of them snapping off am nervous to use them. I also see in the reviews someone posted about them breaking and causing a crash! it says they are cnc machined, but I think for piece of mind i'll just send them back! wish the rox were not so expensive in Canada!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts