StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade to reinforced aluminum handlebars on my DL650. I have the stock steel bars right now, and I am just tired of how flexy they are. Everything else on my front end is very stout, very tight, and really nice.....'cept these damn stock steel bars. So I got a couple of questions:

1. What bend is close, or as close as I can get, to the stock bend? I like the reach, pullback, height, etc. of the stock bars, so I am not really looking to change that. I don't want some real wide bar, or some other bend....as close to stock as I can get.

2. With an aftermarket aluminum handlebar (such as Renthals, Pro Tapers, etc.) can I still use the OEM original bar end weights, Suzuki hand guards, and all the other OEM stuff? I really like the handguard setup that I have now, which requires the OEM bar end weights.

3. Are there any concerns that I haven't covered, that I should consider, before making the change?

Thanks for any help or comments.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just today I installed the Pro Taper SE (7/8th) ATV High Bend bars (and oxford heated grips). These Pro Tapers are almost exactly the same as stock, but have less pull back (which was what I was after).

They come wider but have cut down marks on the ends. A Dremel with the right cutting wheel will trim them down in no time. Don't cut too much you need room for all the hardware.

The interior diameters are smaller. I re-engineered the internal bar end pieces with some washers and a piece fuel line as the expanding "grabber." As good as stock now. I'm using the same OEM bar ends and guards.

I'm real happy with Pro-Tapers, the pull back is much more natural.

Here is a good discussion of bar options:
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,936.0.html

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps alot. Great link you gave me too. I think I will like the ATV High bend too....I usually want just a little more height, these look like they will do the trick. I will take some measurements tonight.

Did you re-engineer the bar end weights as others have here, as shown in that link you provided?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did you re-engineer the bar end weights as others have here, as shown in that link you provided?
Yes and no. I cut my bars down to the "#3" mark on the end of the bars (don't trim too much you need room for everything). The stock bar end bolt WILL go in all the way, but with the fuel hose expander it will NOT go in all the way. It will got in about 2/2.5 inches before hitting something (that's w/ a washer and nut). Believe me that seems short, but my modified bar ends are not coming out... very secure.

If you get to that point and you want me to pull mine and photograph it next to a ruler so you can fabricate something similar, let me know.

The ATV high bars are about the same height as stock. I have 2 inch risers (Rox) and I had to put longer (2 inch+) clutch and brake lines on from SV Racing with Blair's help. Blair has them already made up at +2 for the Stroms.

If you don't have heated grips, when installing new bars, this is the time to install them.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts