StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from Hippo hands, which look enormous, are there any hand guards that will fit over my stock hand guards?

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
kolpin atv......
Kolpin Geartector ATV Mitts - ATV - Motorcycle Superstore

with some mods for the strom's mirrors....I modified the zippered opening by slicing the thin nylon expander panel down the middle, then adding in some velcro to close the opening around the mirror stalk. And, I think I might be running the left mitt on the right side, visa versa....can't remember! They do fit over the stock Suzuki guards, but crowd the turn signal/switch pods a bit - not enough to prevent easy useage, but there you go.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I came to the forum this am thinking of starting a thread on this, but here it is... why re invent the wheel?

I have been thinking about this, too, as my hands are hard to keep warm as I get older. My likely course is to buy some xxl mittens, and wear them over my gloves... Perhaps some waterproof mitten covers, but then you approach the cost of the hippo hands.

For my riding, I am likely doing longer distances when its cold, so the hassle of layering the gloves is not a huge issue... For my neck, I went to ebay and searched "neck gaiter" and found a gal making and selling fleece gaiters for $9. I tuck it into the helmet and it works very well...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Hippo Hands myself and have about 6-7 pairs of them to fit various bikes. :yikes: They have gotten quite a bit more expensive than what they used to be, but I guess so has everything else. Overall, though they work awesome and they keep their shape which is important to me. I bought my first pair used many years ago and then decided to organize a group buy where about 8 of us picked up various Hippo Hands. That was right about when the Vstrom and big Dual Sport Hippo Hans came out. I think I bought 2-3 different pairs for the various bikes I had at the time new. I have since picked up a few used pairs including another big DS set for my wife's BMW F650GS. If you can find them used, that seems to be the way to go since they usually go much cheaper.

So basically we have 2 pairs of the big DS ones, I have a pair that fits clip-ons well, and then various smaller ones, some with mirror cut outs, some with out. I really like them on small DS bikes where its just not convenient to run heated gear or heated grips. I did a 3-4 day DS ride with a few other friends the week between Christmas & NewYear and everyone else kept trying talk me out of my Hippo Hands. :mrgreen:

My wife absolutely hates thick gloves, so between her heated grips and Hippo Hands, she wears thin pairs of gloves in the winter time and keeps her hands nice and warm. I use mine on the Vstrom almost all winter long when temps call for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here's various pics of Hippo Hands.

When I first bought by DL1000, I flew to PA in February to ride it home. It was below freezing for a lot of that trip and the HH were invaluable

I was so glad I had brought them on this trip to Canada in July. I didn't have heated gear with me, but I brought the Hippo Hands. The guy on the BMW had just mailed his home a couple days earlier as it had been warm and then we hit the cold front in July and snow. I was the only one with warm hands!

HH's on a Ninja 250

My wife with the DS Hippo Hands on her F650GS

This was my very first pair if HH's, but weren't made as stiff as today's models are made. They still worked good and sold me on the importance of having them. I rode this dirt bike from Detroit MI, to Atlanta, GA over 3 days and hit temps down to 24 degrees.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
If you think Hippo hands are pricey compare with Gerbing gloves and a controller. Thems some bucks.
I saw similar devices at a big R Farm and ranch store in Oregon. Mostly for ATV's but it could work.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I went to a surplus store today, bought these for $20. Look brand new, the monster mittens. They fit over the black gloves on the left, which are already xl's. The gauntlet on the mittens goes nearly to my elbow.

They wont be worth much in the rain, but should be great for the warmth as long as its dry. Fit my budget, and the hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think i've seen some guys "winterize" their handgaurds by adding some material to more fully enclose their hand. Not insulated, but might bock enough cold air for you not to need big ugly muffs. Winterizing the OEM Hand Guards

I bought some $19 ATV mits two winters ago. Very warm, but downright dangerous trying to get your hand in and out.

A guy on ADV makes them custom. Custom Sewing and Cordura Items - ADVrider

·
Registered
598 Posts
I still like my HH's. I don't care how ugly they are. Riding a V-Strom strengthens my immunity to vanity. Wearing summer gloves year round (with heated grips) is very nice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
thanks for link sitting duck

So I go to link and site has gloves for $8 on sale and free shipping until midnight.

I figure for $8 to door worth a try. I honestly cannot tell much from tiny picture as they look bulky for for 8 bucks they could even double for pot holder:yesnod:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hippo Hands WORK ! No more cold hands ! Not that expensive when compared
to good winter gloves or electric gloves. Now, if I could only find Hippo Feet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
cold MCY gloves from Princess Auto

Ones from link by sitting duck just arrived today and they seem pretty well made. It is raining all week here so I won't get to try them until the weekend [I don't ride in rain] but I was shocked at the $8 sale price [probably becasue end of season I may not even have need for them this year] off regular $20 and free ship I lucked into.

I don't think they would fit over hand guards but I had taken guards off anyway as I did not notice that much cold protection from them. The test will be actual riding with gloves on as far as room to operate switches as that is not clear. Just stationary they seem like they will just fit. My guess is they will be real warm and might even help quite a bit if I got caught in rain :yesnod:

If they worked for SD for couple years I expect this was a real good deal..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought "Classic Accessories 78137 QuadGear Black ATV Mitts" from Amazon.com and with some modification it fits great and works great. For $12, you can't go wrong.:thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I don't think they would fit over hand guards [...]
If they worked for SD for couple years I expect this was a real good deal..
I have them over my stock 650 handguards; they fit.
They're on their third winter, and I fully expect them to last the lifetime of the bike.
You have to tuck the excess strap material in though (unless you like them flapping in the wind and wrapping around your mirror stalks). I tuck mine in front of the handguards so they can't jam anything; they're bunched between the handguard and the cloth.

Install them with the opening facing UP so you can fit the mirror stalk through it; don't worry, no significant amount of water gets in.

You have to completely undo the strap to fit them over the handguards; strap them shut after they're on the bike.
Like I said, they fit perfectly over the stock handguards, and I wouldn't recommend using them without the guards as they may put pressure on the brake/clutch levers at speed (or worse, get caught in them and interfere with their full release).

·
Registered
353 Posts
over the guards

thanks Sitting Duck.

I will get my guards back on now that i know they will fit. I figured out they go well over mirror with opening and strap without the guards on (still can't ride yet given all the rain) but agree - will be best over the guards.

What a deal!

·
Registered
267 Posts
After looking (.)(.) at the pictures here I don't see a genuine original set of Hippo Hands. I bought what I thought were the original Hippo Hands from Vetter w-a-y back in the early 80's. As a matter of fact Bruce Vetter gave them to me and told me to try them and if I liked them send him the money and if I didn't send them back to him. I was lucky enough to know both Craig & Bruce Vetter and visit Craig at his factory. Growing up around central IL it was very common to walk into the Honda dealership in Champaign, IL and catch one of them getting the new model line fitted up for their fairings etc.

I still have my Vetter's Hippo Hands ....:thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
thanks Sitting Duck.

I will get my guards back on now that i know they will fit. I figured out they go well over mirror with opening and strap without the guards on (still can't ride yet given all the rain) but agree - will be best over the guards.

What a deal!
If you don't ride in the rain, why'd you get the muffs?
I got them because I'm Vancouver's winter rain all the time (and they're great; I wear mesh gloves underneath).

·
Registered
353 Posts
guards for rain

I got them for the 40 deg riding for warmth. I live in CA where easy to pick my riding times and weather is predictable and don't enjoy rain riding. Also - If I take a long trip they would be handy if I get caught in the rain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts