StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a compass that will mount to my handlebar, like this one.

Not looking a GPS or anything, I kinda' like the low-tech approach. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm looking for a compass that will mount to my handlebar, like this one.

Not looking a GPS or anything, I kinda' like the low-tech approach. Any ideas?
I had one of these. The indicator used to spin constantly when the bike was on. Pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I tried a suction cup mount compass from walmart. Always said I was going north. I think the vibration makes them useless.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The vibration, metal and electrical fields from a bike pretty much make the cheap liquid filled compasses useless. I tried the type you linked to and it never worked unless I took it off the bars and walked away from the bike. Digital electronic compasses are supposed to be able to compensate for the electrical fields generated by cars. The one that was built into my Dodge truck worked great, but I'm not sure how reliable the aftermarket ones you can buy are. They can be found for anywhere from $25 - $50.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Get rid of your speedo and it'll work fine.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get rid of your speedo and it'll work fine.
How does what I'm wearing affect the compass?
LOL!! Good one!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
compass ?

Don't waste money; forget the compass and get an inexpensive Garmin Etrex.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is practically the only place I could find on my KLR, still within easy sight of the rider, to mount a compass without it being effected by nearby ferrous metals or magnetic fields and read true.

Works great. Mounted with heavy duty velcro.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I like having a compass on my bike. When I'm sitting at the gas station and I need to remember north or south, unless you're moving, the GPS is useless. The compass also confirms what the GPS is telling me.
I've used this compass. Remove the clip, JB Weld the little nub to a 1"X1" piece of plastic and velcro it to your instrument panel. It does't spin or vibrate. I was shocked at how well it worked.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
On the dirt bike I used to wear a wrist compass - that did the job.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could you fasten one to the handlebars if you have aftermarket bars made of aluminum? Those shouldn’t attract the magnet, I reckon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I like having a compass on my bike. When I'm sitting at the gas station and I need to remember north or south, unless you're moving, the GPS is useless. The compass also confirms what the GPS is telling me. View attachment 273627 I've used this compass. Remove the clip, JB Weld the little nub to a 1"X1" piece of plastic and velcro it to your instrument panel. It does't spin or vibrate. I was shocked at how well it worked.
I have this same compass pinned on my tank bag. It's great. The rest of this thread is 11 years old, pretty sure the OP found a solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts