StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellow StromTroopers... I have a problem.

I changed out my handlebars to the MSR Dominators... adjusted them to what "feels" like a comfortable position but my right hand still goes numb, not falling asleep numb (no pins and needles) just a tingling numb after about 30 minutes.

I have the bar weights and handguards on, I feel virtually no vibration in the bars (especially compared to the steel stockers). I also have neoprene wraps on the grips to keep my big-ass hands from cramping up on the small diameter bars.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Give us some details on the bars... I'm not familiar with them.
I know that the CR-Lo I had on mine were causing me a lot of the same problems. I think it has to do with the straightness of the bar ends. I needed more turn-in.
I took them off this past weekend and put the stockers back on. They have never felt more comfortable.
Do you cover your clutch and brake most of the time? I think we tend to forget to account for that hand position when choosing or adjusting bars. With the straight CR bars, my wrists were always angled out because I ride convering the clutch and brake.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the ATV High bars... 31.5" Wide, 6.00" High, 3.94" Pull Back. They are really close to the stockers, with a better feel at the ends (the stockers always left my wrists bent, which is what I was attributing to the hand numbing).

·
Registered
704 Posts
OK, have you tried adjusting your levers down some? This helped some for me.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I was able to trace my hand numbing to a seam on the inside of my tour master glove that was running along the heel of the palm of my hand.

It wasn't too noticeable at first but on long rides my fingertips were asleep. I guess it was cutting off circulation ever so slightly.

Changed the gloves, problem gone.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Changed the gloves, problem gone.
Same here. I was using Icon Heavy Duty gloves and they're about as comfortable as a baseball mit. When I switched to a soft pair of Olympia gloves, my hand pain went away.

<edit> You could also look at how tight your elbow pads fit. There's a nerve in your elbow that can get pinched and cause numbness in your pinky and ring fingers.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I would say to check out all of your riding gear also. I had a pair of glove that made my hands sleepy if I at all thought about tightening the strap on the back of the wrist. I have also found the wrist cuff on a jacket can have an effect on the awake state of your fingers also.

DESTRO

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish equipment was the case... my test run the other day (while adjusting for position comfort) did not involve any gloves.

I have the bars positioned so that I can sit straight up (no slouch unless I want to) and arms in a relaxed, "chicken wing" capable position (loose elbows).

Funny thing, the left hand doesn't go numb. I was thinking maybe my back needs a good crack visit... but I don't numb out at all on my cruiser (except the arse).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a throttle rocker, but it wasn't on the bike while I was adjusting the bars.
It's back on there now since it helps me flex the feeling back into my fingers while riding.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
JFunny thing said:
Same here. I think a throttle lock is the key. I previously had a cruiser and a throttle lock was the key. I think the problem we have is that as relaxed as we think our grip is, we probably hold on with our right hand way harder than the left. Having to hold the throttle just makes us keep our right hand at awkward angles for a long time.

DESTRO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lately I have been getting the same thing. I started noticing it after installing my in bar grip heaters. So, I think I just put the bars a little bit too high when they went back on. I am gonna make an adjjuustment and try that for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Same here. I think a throttle lock is the key. I previously had a cruiser and a throttle lock was the key. I think the problem we have is that as relaxed as we think our grip is, we probably hold on with our right hand way harder than the left. Having to hold the throttle just makes us keep our right hand at awkward angles for a long time.

DESTRO
Maybe it has to do with the size of your hands, but every time I've tried a throttle lock, it gets in the way when I need to brake quickly. I end up braking okay, but the damn rocker gets in the way and the throttle stays open. It's a little scary. I've tried both large and small rockers.

I bought the Audiovox cruise control to solve the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you ever feel inclined to take your bars off again, try this, worked for me.

a) Dump a bottle of that rubber hand tool coating goo into the bar (close one end off with tape) available from hardware stores.

b) Tip the bar back and forth coating the insides with the goo.

c) Dump out the excess, let dry.

d) Fill the bar with fine sand (leave room for the bar end weights), and enjoy the freedom from the jingle-tingles!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the size of your hands

That is what I am starting to think. I remember back a while when I used to pedal a mountain bike for fun that too small of a diameter grip was bad. I am going to go the cheaper route and try some grip puppies for now. Cruise control someday.

DESTRO

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just installed the Dominators, but the stock bar ends don't fit. What was your solution? Before I take a dremel to the stockers, I'd like to know how you got them back on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sounds like carpal tunnel impingment. If you are right handed it will be worse in the right, consult an orthapeadist but try manipulation therepy before surgery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sounds like carpal tunnel impingment. If you are right handed it will be worse in the right, consult an orthapeadist but try manipulation therepy before surgery.
That certainly could be a possibility. If you work alot with your hands, and as mentioned, are right handed, it could be the onset of CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) It is more common than one might think.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Motorcycling and drumming for my entire life, and heavy computer work for the last 20 years SHOULD have contributed to major CTS, but it hasn't. I've always, every day, stretched out my arms and hands. Takes 5 minutes to do a few simple exercises:

1) Hold your arms straight out in front of you and open your hands completely so that all fingers are also pointing straight out. Gently make circular twists with your hands and repeat a few times. Bonus hippy-dippy move: Turn your left hand palm-up and your right hand palm down. Close your eyes and think about the good energy entering your body through your left hand, and the bad energy leaving your body through the right. Focus on your breathing and visualizing this.

2) Shake out your hands and wrists, like you would if you hit a bad baseball and got a "stinger" from the vibration. Again, palms open and fingers outstretched. The key is to get the blood flowing (bad circulation = tingling).

3) Get a dyna-flex ball. www.dynaflex-intl.com

Bottom line: stay strong, and stay loose...

·
Registered
38 Posts
well i had my hands go numb after 1 hr of riding What remedy that was grip puppies. the larger bar seamed to help allot. But what helped with right hand the most is a Throttle Rocker. On highway i just rest my wrist on it and don't have to squeeze my hand to apply throttle. My hand is relaxed all the time and that contributes to pain free ride. Best $18 for both i ever spend on the bike.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts