StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some scratched and dented handguards from someone online. The lower holes in each guard were torn out, and the longer brake/clutch lever pin bolts were not included. Determined to make my $30 investment work, I took apart my bar end weights, milled off about 25mm of the metal shaft/rubber so that when I added in the requisite guard bar-end spacer, I'd still be able to get the rubber donut to expand when I tightened up the bar end - it worked, and I didn't have to buy longer bar end bolts. Thanks to all you who posted that thread about NOT removing the bar end bolt all the way! I didn't have to fish around for the rubber nubbin bolt inside the handlebar!

As for the busted plastic guard mount holes, I fashioned up a crude aluminum bracket that I would use the clutch pivot bolt as an attachment point. The other end of the bracket would bolt to a new hole drilled into the bottom of the handguard plastic [blue loctite used!]. Bolted everything so, and the guard is rock solid! Did the same in a similar style for the brake side. Glad to that everything lined up and I didn't have to worry about infringing on the clutch saftey switch's airspace.

I'm pretty happy with the results!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, but I can't understand why you'd spend $30 and who knows how much of your time to kludge together something you could have bought new for about $20 more. I do understand the "more time than money" syndrome, but for me the spread was usually much larger than $20.

Then again, if you had just bought new ones, you wouldn't have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself.

In any case, enjoy your new handguards!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I bought some scratched and dented handguards from someone online. The lower holes in each guard were torn out, and the longer brake/clutch lever pin bolts were not included. Determined to make my $30 investment work,
I can't get over the fact he charged you $30.00 for them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts