StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 Adventure. Can anyone recommend a handguard that works best on the handlebars? Thanks everyone, and this is my first post, just joined the group today

·
Registered
2021 890R, 2012 DL1000
3,371 Posts
Welcome.

/

·
Registered
212 Posts
I put the Suzuki parts on mine. I don't need ultimate protection as I do not plan to take the bike off road very much. Also the price was reasonable and I knew everything would fit like it was supposed to. Also I had them on my DL1000 and they worked well for keeping bugs/rain/cold off my hands.

Installation was a bit more complicated than I expected, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I originally had the OEM handguards, but I switched to the Barkbusters after they finally got the fit right. A lot of folks had major problems with the Barkbusters not fitting right when Twisted Throttle and Barkbusters were recommending a different model for the 2012+ Wee. They have since changed the recommended model, and I can attest to the fact that the current TT recommended Barkbusters fit the 2012+ very well.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Agree

Barkbusters now fit perfectly. And you will drop the bike, usually in the garage or driveway and it would suck to cancel a trip because you have a busted lever. The OEM guards are plastic and provide 0 protection.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
The OEM Suzuki Guards offer wind protection......about $60 +/-.
The Barkbusters offer the same........plus busted knuckle/lever/handlebar controls protection.......about $155 +/-.

What do you want to use the guards for??........and how much $$$ are you able to spend??

·
Registered
39 Posts
The G2 Ergonomic's competition style with plastics offer the same level of protection as the Bark Busters for half the cost. They bolt on perfectly .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would go with the Barkbuster VPS version $140 I think and some of them are color coded to match your bike. Read the thread on the install and have a extra set of hands to line everything up. Very much worth it. Here is a couple of pics to get an idea of how they look (stole the white idea from SnowKarver).

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up a set of inexpensive ones from eBay for about $30 and modified the mounts to fit on the bars. In total it cost me about $40 with Aluminum stock and new mounting bolts.

·
Registered
2016 V-Strom 650X
30 Posts
Just installed the OEM handguards. Look great, fit right and lots of wind protection. And good $ value. Perfect for the street.

However if you plan to ride off pavement get the Barkbuster Storm.
I have them on my DR650 for the backroad adventures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just bought a 2012 Adventure. Can anyone recommend a handguard that works best on the handlebars? Thanks everyone, and this is my first post, just joined the group today
Unless you do a lot of woods riding, I wouldn't bother w the hand guards. Took mine off as they were deflecting wind toward my head and chest. The OEM Suzuki guards are not very aerodynamic (like the mirrors) and don't help with wind protection toward your body. Let me be fair and say they do block a bit of wind onto your hands but the trade off wasn't worth it for me. Others may disagree, but that was my 2 cents. Well, good luck anyway and welcome to the forum. A wealth of info here. Just use the search function.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I only ride on the street but fall down a lot. Therefore, I'm primarily interested in protecting the clutch/brake levers. For now, I put a layer of teflon tape under the clutch/brake to bar attachment but would like more protection.

The G2 Ergonomics look good for 1/2 the Barkbuster price but wlkjw's pictures seem to indicate the levers need to be below the handguard bars as there isn't enough room between them and the grips. Is this the case with the Barkbusters as well?

Stormyva, what was the brand name of the ones you purchased on EBay? Do you have any px?

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
865 Posts
I hand a pair of these:

ACERBIS.com

on a bike I had a low speed off on a roundabout. Stopped the levers getting broken, and keep some of the airflow / rain / bugs off my hands, but still get cooling airflow onto the gloves. Do not look as if you could do a RTW falling off every kilometre, brush boulders away from the levers etc etc, but for road use they work well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts