StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering trying to mount LED turnsigals to the handguards on my 06 Wee. PO installed flush mount LED signals on the fairing and they are just to hard to see so close to the headlights.

Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. My idea is to make my front turn signals more visible to the cages.

I do see a bunch of led turnsignals on Ebay, are they any good?

06 Wee well farkeled

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
DIY from pieces.

I have done this, and I like it. There are 6 bright yellow LEDs in each guard.

Parts: twelve yellow LEDs and four resistors, plus wire and tape and some brush-on insulation. When you buy the LEDs, learn the voltage each requires, and the current each LED draws at that voltage. It's a good idea to add two plugs and two sockets so you can unplug the guards while servicing cables or controls.

Here's how to calculate the resistance and power of each resistor.
You are going to put one resistor and three LEDs in series across 12 volts,
doing this twice for each guard. In each guard, two circuits are in parallel.
If each LED wants 3.2 volts at .02 amperes (= 20 milliamperes), 3 LEDs will drop 9.6 volts,
so the resistor will drop about 3 volts (12.6 minus 9.6).

Resistance = 3 volts / .02 amps = 150 ohms, a standard value.

The resistor will turn this energy into heat, and dissipate this much power:
Power = 3 volts * .02 amps = .06 watts, a very small amount of power,
so tiny resistors of about 1/8 watt will be sufficient, and larger resistors
will work fine but be more difficult to conceal inside the guard.

Remember LEDs are polarized (they work in one direction only), so wire up a couple of 1.5-volt batteries and check each LED after you have poked it into its hole and before you have soldered it to its neighbor, resistor, or wire. You can peer into the LED and see the different size electrodes inside, but it is easy to goof and easy to check and a bitch to fix if you solder and glue it wrong. Yes, I did, but you don't need to.

I drilled six holes for the LEDs, glued them in place, and bent LED wires and resistor wires and lead-in wires to be tight to the inside of the guard, then soldered them up, winding up with two wires leading out of the guard near the place where it bolts to the control. Then I brushed on gooey black insulation and let it dry. I attached plugs (male) to the guards.

Inside the left rear tupperware is a cable that leads to the rear turn signals. It is more tiresome to connect to this than it is to connect to the front signals, but I think this is the right place to pick up the signal and ground connections. We do lots of maintenance to the front of the bike, replacing air filters, checking valves, and installing spark plugs, etc. So any custom wiring up front is likely to confuse a mechanic, who may cause damage through ignorance of your astute modifications, or charge you extra for figuring out how to adapt to your changes.

I have left out some details, and it is not convenient for me to provide photographs, but I think I have given you some guidance, and I can answer some questions if you ask them.

Keith

·
Registered
19 Posts
mirrors

I have been considering trying to mount LED turnsigals to the handguards on my 06 Wee. PO installed flush mount LED signals on the fairing and they are just to hard to see so close to the headlights.

Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. My idea is to make my front turn signals more visible to the cages.

try mirrors w turn signals maybe works better, i didnt try them yet but they look nice

·
Registered
168 Posts

try mirrors w turn signals maybe works better, i didnt try them yet but they look nice
Steer clear of the cheap mirrors with LED signals inside of them....especislly the oines from Hong Kong on Ebay. These are terrible quality and look even cheaper than thery cost. Trust me, they are TERRIBLE!!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Here's the setup I had with Barkbusters and amber LED kits from an autoparts store:

I've been complimented by this setup's visibility by wary pedestrians.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
For those who have done this, what did you use to fill the hole in the cowl where the OEM turn signals were?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
suggest you buy some high power LED lights intended to be used as strobe lights by emergency vehicle - Anything less than at least 3W is useless in daytime and amongst other strong lit conditions.

Be wary of pictures and video taken in dark or dim conditions or where the light seem to overwhelm everything else - it's all camera settings. there should be a known light source reference point so you know how it compares.

This is a pic and video of my setup, not the prettiest by highly effective. - 3W power, but wish i bought the 4W power ones although space is getting to be an issue then.

a video of the lights in use
VStrom Operation Visibility - YouTube

Note the lights at bottom is my effective Daytime Running Light, the top one is turn signal light which doubles as a strobe light when a couple buttons are pressed.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Holy Moly, AceRider! You are using those Whelen emergency strobes as turn signals?!! Two on each side?!! You must be blinding oncoming traffic, then turning while they are paralyzed with pain.:mrgreen:

I have ONE pair (constant on) that I use as running lights, and they are brighter than my headlights when viewed straight on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nroman,
What autoparts store did you find your LED strips at. I was in O'Rielly's last night and I could not find that type of strip.:confused:

06 Wee, well farkeled and snoozing for the winter

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
local shop which fits a lot of strobe lights for emergency services. just cheap chinese knock offs:mrgreen:

any will do - as long as they are rated at least 3 watts per light

1 - 16 of 16 Posts