Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mr. Suzuki,
Why does my new 2012 V Strom DL1000 wobble at 90 mph? This thing is dangerous and you are open for lawsuits. Do you need a recall? From reading posts its a common problem. Note: I rarely do 90 mph but I think the bike has a problem...
Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sometimes the steering head bearing can get loose out of nowhere, but it is noticeable at almost any speed, try raising your front forks a little in the triple tree. The strom catches a lot of air that lifts it up, making it unstable at high speed. My steering head bearing needs to still be tightened more, I can self induce a tank slapper at speed over 80, but it would be better to switch to an aftermarket bearing so it doesn't get loose and wear.

Also fork brace and rear lift help as well, and many people use a steering stabilizer too, but they are pricey.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
These bikes do suffer from an aerodynamic lift.

Raising the fork tubes about 3/8" can make a noticable difference.

A steering stabilizer is the magic bullet.

Were you running luggage at the time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

Hey all, thanks for the replies. Seems the Scotts Steering Stabilizer is the preferred fix. Hummm $475 dollars! Ouch. Rouge Reaper you said Suzuki put one on your bike, I guess you paid for that? Seems Suzuki should foot the bill for this on all VStroms.

Stormin Nroman, yea I have a Givi E55 topcase and Givi tall windshield. I was thinking removing the windshield for a test run someday.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The Scotts is the ultimate protector from tank slappers. However, the bike should not wobble. The steering head bearings and front tire are the usual culprits. Lowering the front or raising the rear 10-15mm and adding a fork brace help handling a lot, but the stock bike should not wobble. With new tires, look at the steering head bearings. How I Adjust The Steering Stem Bearings | Black Lab Adventures

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If your bike was shod Bridgestone Trailwings (AKA wooblewings) that is causing it. My 03 had Tourance tires , and now my 2012 has Shinko 705's on it. Tracks straight as an arrow......like my 03 did,

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
If memory serves me all the luggage I've ever had on a bike also advised against exceeding 80mph.
At 90mph, sparky, you are violating every known states rules and regs. Oh, Closed course, of course!:green_lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yup, no wobble here at stock height with Pirelli Scorpion Trails. In fact no wobbles with the Trailwings either up to about except slowing down through 30 mph with no hands on the bars.

Get it looked at before you see your back wheel passing you on the freeway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a 2002 Vstrom 4 months ago with 32k miles on it.

I just discovered this 90mph wobble today as well!

Earlier this week I swapped out my tires from dead Anakee 2's and put on Bridgestone BW502's (battlewing?). I also changed the sprocket/chain (now 16/43). I also ride with one Givi bag on the back.

On the highway I had some space so I wanted to see what this new 16/43 ratio was like and gassed it. Freaked myself big time just as I hit 90mph and the bike started wobbling/shaking bad! I thought I had lost a bolt somewhere!

After that I did a few more runs just to make sure it wasn't in my mind - and yes, 90mph is the magic wobble number. 89mph - bike is smooth. I did get to 100 mph just to convince myself that despite the wobble the bike still holds together (would hate failing that test).

Unfortunately I can't really remember if I hit 90+ while I had the Anakee's on. I guess the good news is I don't hit 90+ very often at all on my morning commute.

edit - I'll be using some of the suggestions (lots from greywolf) from the "speed vs wobble" thread to make small adjustments to the bike if necessary

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Happy trails panniers on and a shad trunk on the back......110 MPH per GPS and mine was rock solid smooth. NO it is not stupid confidence inspiring smooth like a Concours 1400, but mine was smooth none the less "lots more to go too". I do believe tires, air pressure, raise front forks, fork brace, everything is good and tight" and better handlebars goes a long way with smoothness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sure that in that thread it discusses checking the wheel alignment (suspect due to recent work) as well as too tight or loose steering head bearings.
I'm suspecting the loose steering head bearings as I've always had the "no-hands" wobble at lower speeds since I first got the bike.

I haven't lowered the forks yet either, so I might try that first as it's easier to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts