Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I went out for a good 60 mile ride to check things out. The Barkbusters are nice, they shield the wind off the hands just right. It's a small envelope of protection, but my hand felt no wind at all. If you raise or lower your hand an inch or so you can feel the air stream, but not on the grips.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OEM handguard install pitfalls

I was about to do that when I checked the instructions. I thought something was different when I saw the new bolts were shorter than the old ones. The new setup doesn't use an internal spacer. The weight, external spacer, and nut with rubber expander are all that get installed.

The old weight assembly was harder to wiggle out too. The expander with enclosed nut was a much tighter fit than before. I think Suzuki noticed how many people were taking the bolt all the way out and stranding the expander deep in the bar so made a change to help keep the expander and nut in place if the screw was removed entirely.
This gave me fits for a while during the install. I took the screw out entirely without pulling out the expander. They could have shown an expanded view of the stock handlebar and expander to help illustrate the process. But when I got stymied, I did a search and found Pat's notes above.

This is where I went wrong, thinking the rubber flanged spacer near the bottom of this photo was the expander... WRONG!

To the contrary, this photo shows the real "expander" attached to the bar end (far right with nut attached) and ready to install with the handguard. I hope this will help someone else who might make the same mistake I did:

So thanks Pat... you've helped me again! I'm glad you're a week or two ahead of me in this acquisition and setup! :hurray:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I received my Barkbusters from TT and got them installed today and thought I'd share a few photos.

The installation was pretty straight forward, they fit just fine and don't hit the stock windshield, or anything else. I did need to loosen the brake and clutch lever clamps and rotate them out of the way to fully assemble and install the Barkbusters. The brake hoses and clutch cable do fit tight up against the clamps. I needed to slide the right hand brake lever clamp over to the right (outboard) about a 1/2", so the brake line connections weren't jammed into the Barkbuster clamp, but it doesn't seem to change things much.

The wind shielding part of these seems a little small and I can see ordering the "Storm" plastics for the winter months, which are interchangeable with the VPS shields.

I'm not real crazy about the white lettering either, I thought maybe it would be an easily removable sticker, but no, it's a molded white plastic lettering that looks pretty permanent, I think some black spray paint might take care of that...

I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet though....I'll let you know how that goes, but I'm sure it will be an improvement over the stock nothing.

Oh, and also, these things are really solid when installed and tightened up, a lot of protection to the handle bar ends.

And a fender extender I also got form TT. I have one on my other bike as well.

What kind of handgrips are those?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Grip Puppies over the stock grips. They are great! Provides a nice thick grip and takes most of the vibes out. I love them.

$13.00 at California Sport Touring.

Grip Puppies - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at California Sport Touring

I also got lever grips that slide on.

And speaking of sliding on, use hair spray to install grips, it makes it super slick, they just push on, and then when it dries, it leaves some sticky residue that keeps the grips nice and tight.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The Barkbusters have paid for themselves already.

While prepping for last weeks' road trip (1000 miles and some awesome mountain twisties) I managed to drop my bike in the garage while maneuvering it up on the rear center stand. The right spool wasn't lined up right and the tangs on the stand missed it as I lifted up and then proceeded to slam the bike down hard on the right hand side. Doh'!$%[email protected]

Fortunately the right Barkbuster took the brunt of the crunch and a cardboard box also helped cushion the blow some. But no body work touched the floor!

The right Barkbusters' aluminum frame took a good whack and bent a bit. I took it apart and thought I'd bend it back, but wow that's some tough aluminum. I think I'll leave it be for awhile as a reminder of stupidities past!

Compared to this (unbent)..

·
Registered
237 Posts
As I am preparing to install the OEM guards, I have been reading thru this thread, have noted other posters problems with the install. I also found this on youtube, and although it is shown on a pre 2012 strom, I think it is about the same. The guy making the video makes a couple of mistakes too, so it is very helpful to watch if you are going to use these guards, here it is;

V-Strom Hand Guard Install Part 1 - YouTube

V-Strom Hand Guard Install Part 2 - YouTube

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a deposit on a new 650 Adventure model, hope to get it soon. I plan on getting a set of Suzuki hand guards. Suzuki's website lists two different sets under accessories, one for $60 and one for $77. Do they both work on the 2012 model? Is their any difference between the two sets?
I think the more expensive one is the 2012 version, the cheaper is for earlier models. I got mine at Motogrid for the same price as the dealer but they shipped it to my house. Saved me a trip!

http://www.motogrid.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SUZ#/Suzuki/DL650AL2_(2012)/KNUCKLE_COVER_SET_(OPTIONAL)/023340001/56023340076

·
Registered
4 Posts
potential problem

When installing my OEM hand guards this morning, I found a potential problem other less experienced bike mechanics like myself should check.
The L handguard's lower connection point, which basically gets pinched between two washers (on the clutch bolt), is forked. If you tighten the last nut too tight the fork will spread apart as the washers come together damaging the guard or at least creating a weak point.
I held the ends of the fork with needlenose pliers and tightened the last nut to where I'm comfortable with it.
Good luck with yours and if anyone can point me to a good tutorial on adjusting the clutch cable, I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Just can't do the barkbusters at $155.

I have a set of Moose Contour Guards with the Contour shields from Happy Trail on the way. Not specifically for any bike, but lots of room to work with and they've fit well on the Protaper ATV High bar which is basically the same as our stock bar. Will post up when they are mounted. Total price with shipping is under $100.

DSR650

·
Registered
986 Posts
I love my standard plastic handguards on my Vee a lot. I tried them on my KLR650 and the right one was a near bolt-on. The left one I had to make a bracket to space the guard out from the bar around an inch--and then it was a bolt-on from there.
I like the wind protection mostly, and after four years they still look great and work fine. If I fall on my side they withstand hits of that type, no problem.
I realize many want SUPER-strong handguards, but I am enjoying the stockers on both bikes just fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Checking with my dealer he says the OEMs are sold individually (new guy in parts) and they cost $69.00 a piece. Doesn't seem right that they would be sold individually but what the hell do I know. For those who purchased OEMs did you have to purchase the left and right individually or as a 2 pack and at what cost?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Knuckle(hand) guards have always been sold as a complete set for Wees and Glees. That's what causes a problem if only one needs to be replaced. I've never found a way to get a left one. The right one on earlier Wees before 2010 can be replaced by the DL1000 right one which is easy to find as a part.

·
Registered
128 Posts
o.e.m. vs. barkbusters

hello,

i switched from o.e.m. 2012 version hand guards to barkbusters. the o.e.m. are decent for the money and wind protection but not for crash protection. the barkbusters have a steel/alluminum inner piece to guard hands from crash. the barkbusters are easier to install and work with the kaoka throttle lock and heated grips. o.e.m. are more of a pain to install. just as a note the barkbuster storms that i have can not add on an extra "lip" to the top for added coverage, but the regular barkbusters you can, something to think about.

in summary i am using barkbuster storm guards with kaoko throttle lock and oxford heated grips.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the BarkBusters with the VPS plastics, but the Storm plastics are bigger and provide more wind and weather protection than the VPS, even with the extra shield raised up to the top notch.

The VPS plastics do good job of keeping the wind off the hands, but I haven't ridden with them (or the bike) in cold weather yet. I'm thinking I might get some Storm plastics for the winter, you can change them around anytime.

My BB's already saved the bike from damage from a garage tip over, so it was $155 well spent.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have armour plated hand guards and have an off, surely all it will do is transfer the damage elsewhere? So instead of the brake / clutch lever being ground down a bit / handguards having a "used" look you'll end up damaging the handlebars / their mounts more.

I've got some Acerbis dual road guards on mine, had them on the Gladius I own, and in a slow speed spill helped protect the levers etc. I know that if I hit a tree at 40mph they won't stop me getting hurt, but would bark busters etc?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wow, the price of the handguards has jumped in the last few years--I bought my new pair for under forty bucks four years ago, shipping was cheap too, but seeing the new prices just reminds me of the economic troubles we live with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Checking with my dealer he says the OEMs are sold individually (new guy in parts) and they cost $69.00 a piece. Doesn't seem right that they would be sold individually but what the hell do I know. For those who purchased OEMs did you have to purchase the left and right individually or as a 2 pack and at what cost?
The only ones sold seperately are the older DL1000 ones that came stock on the bike. Those are $25-$30 each side depending on the year. $69 each is wrong or they are trying to charge way too much. I work for a Suzuki dealership and just looked them up. Any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Got the Moose Contour bars in from Happy-Trail and they fit very well. I was able to keep the stock bar ends and all. I did have to remove the ball end off the Clutch lever due to the shape of the lever around the large switch assembly, no way to move the lever in without it hitting the switch housing.

Here's a couple of shots:

First the Moose Contour inner bracket clearing the Front Brake Line.

The Clutch Lever clearance that limits the ability to move the lever in:

Front Shot of showing the bar end and all.

The Moose handguard fits over the steel sleve inside the bar end retainer, allowing me to keep the whole assembly with no mods, just like the OEM guards I believe. This retains the rubber sealing gasket on the handlebar end and the weighted bar ends. I did not like the bar end clamps that came with the Moose kit thought they would have worked, just would have left the end of the bar open.

Here'e the finished shot with the matching Countour handguards installed:

The guards clear the fairing and windscreen at full lock both ways.

The guards do come with some Big Moose decals on them which thankfully peel off easily and look much better on my tool box than the bike. This setup cost $98 delivered to my door.

I dumped my KLR in loose gravel with these on that bike and have full faith that they do infact serve well to protect both bike and rider. The bars are so wide on the bike they appear to be a primary contact point, just like the KLR. I fully expect to need them when I take this beast on Jeep trails, and the weather protection should be just enough to keep my mits from freezing in the fall.

DSR650

21 - 40 of 102 Posts