Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deposit on a new 650 Adventure model, hope to get it soon. I plan on getting a set of Suzuki hand guards. Suzuki's website lists two different sets under accessories, one for $60 and one for $77. Do they both work on the 2012 model? Is their any difference between the two sets?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought and installed the new set. Compared to the old set, there's a slightly different clearance on the clutch side. I don't know whether that's critical, but it might be an issue. (I still own both bikes with handguards)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone successfully installed any aftermarket handguards? I like the Cycra ProBends but not sure they can be fitted....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was thinking Bark Busters but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd love to hear feedback from someone who went with non-OEM handguards.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I had a set of Suzuki handguards on my 2009. They worked fine as wind blocks but broke when I dumped the bike a couple of times. So I installed the Barkbusters and like them mucho bettero.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It takes the more expensive Suzuki items to clear the clutch switch. I just put a pair on today.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a set of Suzuki handguards on my 2009. They worked fine as wind blocks but broke when I dumped the bike a couple of times. So I installed the Barkbusters and like them mucho bettero.
My point exactly...I intend on some nonpavement adventures and need a good handguard with a backbone to hopefully save the levers in a getoff......

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I was thinking Bark Busters but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd love to hear feedback from someone who went with non-OEM handguards.
Don't think it's possible without taller bars. I have barkbusters, but they are on Pro-Taper bars which are about 2" further back than stock.

Pete

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just bit the bullet and ordered some Barkbusters VPS from TT (they show them as fitting the 2012), not cheap at $155 but I figure they are going to see the ground eventually, so might as well get a set that can take some impact. That way maybe I don't have to replace them later.

I got word that they have shipped, so I'll post up some info and pics after I get and install them. (and a fender extender...)

·
Registered
281 Posts
As noted by Greywolf, I recommend you buy the more expensive OEM Suzuki hand guards. Mine went on with no trouble at all. Fit and finish were fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just put the Suzuki hand guards on my 2011 yesterday. They went on without any problems and they look good. Suzuki part number 57300-27825-291 I got mine more for wind protection to keep my hands warmer. Wasn't happy with the dealer though when I got a call from them that they were in after waiting a week and I got there and they couldn't find them. Waited 15 minutes while they were trying to find them. The one guy in parts wanted to reorder them again and I said no I think you need to keep looking. They finally found them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Touratech hand guards for the V-Strom don't fit the 2012 version.

A couple of days ago I recieved a delivery from Touratech - Skid plate, radiator guard and hand guards.

The first two items fitted nicely but the hand guards didn't.

They mounted up nicely, but as the fairing is closer to the handle bars on the Wee2 the hand guards made solid contact with the plastic around the instruments (enough to make marks in the plastic) when turning the handle bars all the way left/right.
I tried to move them around a bit, but there are just not enough room.

I contacted Touratech and explained the problem. The answer was that according to the manufactorer the hand guards fits the Wee2 just fine, and the contact with the plastic on the bike is acceptable and normal :confused:

When I told them that I didn't buy that bull shit (it's not acceptable that hand guards damage the bike under normal use), they agreed to take the handguards back and have another talk with the manufactorer :argue:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Handguards

The Bark Busters form Twisted Throttle do fit and with the stout alumium re-inforcement rod, it's the top of the line. Yes, 155 dollars is steep, but it's the best that I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts

I contacted Touratech and explained the problem. The answer was that according to the manufactorer the hand guards fits the Wee2 just fine, and the contact with the plastic on the bike is acceptable and normal :confused:

When I told them that I didn't buy that bull shit (it's not acceptable that hand guards damage the bike under normal use), they agreed to take the handguards back and have another talk with the manufactorer :argue:
might be acceptable for a home made job- not if you are paying top dollar for it.

i dont know what needs to be done with Barkbusters to make things work - my 2008 needed some adjustments with washers to make things fit - but's its way better than suzuki's. First drop on the factory cracked the corner. A few drops on barkbuster will scrap the plastic bit but no other damage. Fit barkbuster if you can. Of course as many pointed out, the factory does provide better wind protection in cold weather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Installation of OEM hand guards

I installed a set of OEM hand guards today and had to remove a significant spacer on the end weight of both L and R side to get it the end weights to go back in.
Did anyone else have to do this as well?
Greywolf??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I installed a set of OEM hand guards today and had to remove a significant spacer on the end weight of both L and R side to get it the end weights to go back in.
Did anyone else have to do this as well?
Greywolf??
I was about to do that when I checked the instructions. I thought something was different when I saw the new bolts were shorter than the old ones. The new setup doesn't use an internal spacer. The weight, external spacer, and nut with rubber expander are all that get installed.

The old weight assembly was harder to wiggle out too. The expander with enclosed nut was a much tighter fit than before. I think Suzuki noticed how many people were taking the bolt all the way out and stranding the expander deep in the bar so made a change to help keep the expander and nut in place if the screw was removed entirely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So what is the part number of the more "expensive" suzuki hand guards...the ones that fit.... and what did they cost?

Thanks,
ROB RAY

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I received my Barkbusters from TT and got them installed today and thought I'd share a few photos.

The installation was pretty straight forward, they fit just fine and don't hit the stock windshield, or anything else. I did need to loosen the brake and clutch lever clamps and rotate them out of the way to fully assemble and install the Barkbusters. The brake hoses and clutch cable do fit tight up against the clamps. I needed to slide the right hand brake lever clamp over to the right (outboard) about a 1/2", so the brake line connections weren't jammed into the Barkbuster clamp, but it doesn't seem to change things much.

The wind shielding part of these seems a little small and I can see ordering the "Storm" plastics for the winter months, which are interchangeable with the VPS shields.

I'm not real crazy about the white lettering either, I thought maybe it would be an easily removable sticker, but no, it's a molded white plastic lettering that looks pretty permanent, I think some black spray paint might take care of that...

I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet though....I'll let you know how that goes, but I'm sure it will be an improvement over the stock nothing.

Oh, and also, these things are really solid when installed and tightened up, a lot of protection to the handle bar ends.

And a fender extender I also got form TT. I have one on my other bike as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a set of wrap-around Acerbis but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I'll post pictures if/when they're on the bike.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts