StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'd like to add a pair of handguards to my new Wee. Anybody have any experience with the OEM type. Price isn't bad but if they're poor quality I'll look at aftermarkets. How tough are they to install?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hey guys,
I'd like to add a pair of handguards to my new Wee. Anybody have any experience with the OEM type. Price isn't bad but if they're poor quality I'll look at aftermarkets. How tough are they to install?
Thanks.
Depends on what you are planning to do (what kind of riding). I have them and really like them. They were not terribly hard to install although I had some difficulty figuring out what I was doing from the original instructions. They block the wind well and are handy in the rain. I wouldn't expect them to be a lot of good off road as they are made of plastic without a metal frame. But, they weren't very expensive and do what I ask of them just no where as strong as my friends Acerbis handguards.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with Doug. The OEM handguards are just what I need. I mainly got them to block wind in the winter. They might keep some tree branches from hitting your hands, but I'm sure they will crack if you go down in the woods.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed the heated grips and hand guards in one installation. If I remember correctly, the bar end weights are removed as an assembly (do not simply unscrew the weight) and extra pieces are supplied to add to the assembly so that the plastic hand guard bracket has something to clip onto. The (already wide) handlebars are then even wider, sticking out as far as the side view mirrors. I considered cutting an inch off of each side of the handlebar tube while the thing was apart to make the bike fit into tight places better. The guards are simply plastic, offering decent wind and rain protection for your hands but they may not stand up to being struck my stiff brush, and may need to be replaced in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you are looking for cheap hand guards with a metal frame, give these guys a look at

Cycle Gear - TRACKSIDE: Aluminum Handguard Kit with Shields, BLACK

The price is right, but I don't know how fitment would be, but it looks like it could work.

I would have considered these if I would have found them before I brought the Acerbis Multi Concept hand guards.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Hand Gaurds

I'm happy with the suzuki hand gaurds. Even have a set on the wifes Versys. We do not ride thru bushes and tree's , maintained county dirt roads are as daring as us old folks want to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi, i got the barkbuster storms from twisted throttle. they have the aluminum backbone. i like the wind protection on the road and the added security if i ever drop my bike on the trail. anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi, i got the barkbuster storms from twisted throttle. they have the aluminum backbone. i like the wind protection on the road and the added security if i ever drop my bike on the trail. anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

I put these on the KLR and Wee. I love em.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Barkbusters

Get Barkbusters man. They are the real deal !!! easy to install too. Only problems I found is that they are not as wind proof as OEM, but the backbone won't move an inch when you drop the bike, or when I did :green_lol:.

Another problem is that the grip lock won't fit anymore, so if you have it you will have to find another way to lock your bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with chino, if you're going to have handguards, you might as well add back busters too, and get some crash protection out of the deal. Even if you're never offroad, it will protect levers and such if you take a spill. I know mine have come in very handy :green_lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Barkbusters

CHINOTAKER:
Get Barkbusters man. They are the real deal !!! easy to install too. Only problems I found is that they are not as wind proof as OEM, but the backbone won't move an inch when you drop the bike, or when I did :green_lol:
MiteyF: I agree with chino, if you're going to have handguards, you might as well add back busters too, and get some crash protection out of the deal. Even if you're never offroad, it will protect levers and such if you take a spill. I know mine have come in very handy.
+3. Mine have survived a case of the "dropsees" lately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My OEM left side handguard cracked when the previous owner :yesnod: layed it down.:mrgreen: They are fine for everyday commuting, but not so good for anything more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So the result of a search is a dead thread revival! Has anyone tried to fit the Barkbuster backbone on with the OEM handguard? I figure it doesn't matter what plastic shield is on, if/when the bike gets dropped it'll break and you'd have to order new ones anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I figure it doesn't matter what plastic shield is on, if/when the bike gets dropped it'll break and you'd have to order new ones anyway.
Not necessarily. I've had Barkbuster VPS guards on my Strom for over eight years and experienced several tip-overs. Sometimes, in hard hits, I would have to re-adjust the backbone alignment and mounting nuts but the plastic always survived. They even survived a low speed crash on loose gravel. Just a few scratches. :laugh2: If the scratches bother you there are ways to buff them out, or, just order a new piece. But, the aluminum backbone attached to the handlebar always survived the worst impacts. They are tough. Mind you, the force on the end usually pushes the handlebar sideways in its clamps but that is a fairly quick fix too. :smile2:

I always thought those OEM guards were garbage and couldn't wait to replace them with the Barkbusters (or any other brand like Cerbis, etc.) :grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts