StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a bike with hand guards so what am I missing on the pricing? OEM for around $45 but the after market ones run between 100-150. Is there that big of a difference?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've never had a bike with hand guards so what am I missing on the pricing? OEM for around $45 but the after market ones run between 100-150. Is there that big of a difference?
The Suzuki ones that many of us have, are somewhat decorative, in terms of serious protection from a spill, but they are easy to fit, cheap, and do a pretty decent job of blocking the weather.......all depends on what you want them for?

For the type of riding I do, the OEM's are just fine. If you are a serious off-roader, or want that extra protection, to both you and your bike, there are other choices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought my hand guards at dealer for $62. Searched this forum for info on how to install them, which was invaluable. Install went well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Stock one should be called a wind guard. The aftermarket one is a true hand guard if it has the aluminum backbone to keep your levers from getting broken. Both of our vee's now have those on them after an incident that resulted in a broken lever.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Stock one should be called a wind guard. The aftermarket one is a true hand guard if it has the aluminum backbone to keep your levers from getting broken. Both of our vee's now have those on them after an incident that resulted in a broken lever.
Actually the OEM are good protection from brush and stone that might be kicked up by who's riding ahead of you. OH!! And the occasional Nissan Maxima mirror that gets in your way while lane splitting. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Actually the OEM are good protection from brush and stone that might be kicked up by who's riding ahead of you. OH!! And the occasional Nissan Maxima mirror that gets in your way while lane splitting. :mrgreen:
That has been no where close to my experience. They fold like paper mache at any type of firm contact.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Someone knocked my Wee off it's sidestand in a parking lot.... broke the stock hand guard and the clutch lever. I ride zero dirt so I found another stock guard.
Any dirt riding with a Wee would mandate aluminum braced guards, IMO.
dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts