StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into changing out my stock hand grips because I feel that they are too small in circumference and a bit hard. I would like to find a larger and softer grip. Has anyone changed their stock grips, and do you have any recommendations? What did you buy? How are they different? Where did you buy? How much $$?

Thanks,

Larry

R

·
0 Posts
grips

I bought some foam grips that slide over the existing grips.($7.95) Haven't ridden with them yet but they definately feel better. I too though the grips were small and hard, I'm used to larger grips as I have rode cruisers in the past. If they don't work out I'm only out $7.95.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grip Puppies

I had the same issue with the small diameter of the grips. I just installed a pair of "Grip Puppies" http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?

Well worth the $7.50. They increase the diameter of the grip quite a bit, and they add some cushioning. Order the small size to fit the strom grip diameter. They come 5" long, so I had to cut about 3/4" off the end with scissors. They install in about 5 seconds using some soapy water.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the Grip Puppies - since these go over the stock grips, how do they stay tight on the stock grip? It would seem like they would move around the grip?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Foam Grips

I just installed the foam "Grip Puppies" on Sat. on my DL1000k5(Black).
I've probably only done 100 miles since, but they seem to be a vast
improvement. 1 quick warning, when I removed my bar-end weights,
the nut inside the handlebar moved back and I ended up needing a
long piece of coat hanger to reach in and retrieve the nut. I do need to
say that I'm not the most mechanical person around. Long story short,
it took me an hour and 5 minutes to put the first one on and 5 minutes
for the second............

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grip Puppies

Once the puppies are slipped on with some soapy water, they dry and do not move at all. There's no need to remove the bar end weights, just slide them right over.

M

·
0 Posts
I got some barrel shaped grips. Can't for the life of me remember the name of them though... PCGrips or some such? They are for scooters, but fit great and are shaped well for comfort. They are a very soft siliconized rubber and install easily. They were about $9. IIRC.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Pro-grip #714 rally grips are a larger diameter in the middle and very soft and comfortable. I love mine. You do need to cut out the end if you are running bar weights. I have a round punch to get a perfect cut.

W

·
0 Posts
I agree with SpeedStar, the ProGrip #714 is a great choice. I have installed this same grip on my last 5 bikes. It is designed as an "enduro" grip and fills your hand very nicely. It does a nice job of absorbing vibrations, but isn't so squishy that they squirm in your hnad like some of the "Gel" grips. They only cost about $8.00, but they last very well. I have a pair for my 'Strom that I'll be installing when I change my bars and add heaters in the near future. (I figure I might as well do it all at once.)

Of course, I got black instead of red! :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Warhammer said:
I agree with SpeedStar, the ProGrip #714 is a great choice. I have installed this same grip on my last 5 bikes. It is designed as an "enduro" grip and fills your hand very nicely. It does a nice job of absorbing vibrations, but isn't so squishy that they squirm in your hnad like some of the "Gel" grips. They only cost about $8.00, but they last very well. I have a pair for my 'Strom that I'll be installing when I change my bars and add heaters in the near future. (I figure I might as well do it all at once.)

Of course, I got black instead of red! :wink:

Ditto!

Just installed the 714's over heaters, and the fit was great! Comfortable and tacky, less finger strain to hold on and way less pressure points in my palm.
Easy to cut a hole in the tips for the DL1000 bar ends, do it after you install them and use the inside lip of the bar as a guide.
Cost me $12 Canadian, in black.

Johnny

B

·
0 Posts
Just installed the 714's over heaters, and the fit was great! Comfortable and tacky, less finger strain to hold on and way less pressure points in my palm.
I will not be using grip heaters, will these fit to loosely without heaters, if so should I add some golf club grip tape?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Brian, the 714 grips will fit fine without the grip heaters installed. They are a little longer than the stock grips but not enough to cause any issue.
Just slide them on a little futher and bunch them up.

You will have to cut the end open if you have bar-weights. I have a .875" punch that I use to cut a perfect hole in the end and keep the end shape. You could just cut straight across the end and shorten the grip to suit as well.

Good grips - you will like I think.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When changing the throttle grip, how did everyone deal with the little metal edge/lip on the left side (sitting on the bike)? The stock grip had a grove that this edge fit into, but replacements don't. It does not allow the new grip's left side to fit shug against the throttle housing. It makes mine even bent inward towrads the hand. Any body else run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Lencho, some grips have a recess in the flange to fit this cone on the end of the throttle tube. My 714 grips had this, and some others I have seen have it. If your grips don't, maybe just dremel the flange off on the throttle tube.

P

·
0 Posts
Need Help

I posted in the wrong area, so excuse the repeat. I bought the grip puppies and they work great. Problem is now, that I cannot get the bar ends back on. Finding the small nut is not my problem. My problem is that the whole unit falls out. I screw the unit in place, put on my hand guards but the whole unit can litterly be pulled out with ease. Dealer is of no help. I know this has to be simple, but I'm getting a little frustrated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I put the 714's on a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with them. I picked them up at a local cycle shop in Oceanside Ca. for $8.00. There was a small learning experience involved in the removal of the stock grips which set me back about 10 minutes but I overcame that. I now know that you don't need to unscrew the screw that holds the bar weights very far to remove them! Anyway, I'm very happy with these grips. They are slightly larger in diameter than the stockers and they are more "squishy" (a technical term). With the stockers my throttle hand had a tendency to start going numb after as little 20 minutes at times. With these grips the problem is almost non-excistent. Other than having to go coathanger fishing for the nut inside the handlebars after unscrewing the bar end screw too far this was a pretty painless install. I just used an exacto knife to cut out the end of the new grips since I use bar end weights. I also used some shower calk that I had sitting around to secure the left-side grip in place. It worked pretty good but I may remove the grip and use a stronger adhesive as there is still a little bit of "play" in the grip. Anyway, I hope this helps folks who are thinking about changing their grips. It is a pretty painless ordeal.
For my fellow So-Cal riders: I realize I haven't been around too much lately. My wife is a Red Cross volunteer and I have only been seeing her sporadically on the weekends since she is busy as heck with hurricane Katrina relief. She is getting more comfortable riding 2-up so you may start seeing us out and about together sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts