StromTrooper banner

Hand Grip End Won't Reassemble

1204 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  pso
I took off the end of the left handgrip to install new grip puppy and now it won't go back together. It is the inch and half long black metal cylinder and half inch metal washer-like piece. When I insert the long screw back in, it doesn't contact anything and just spins.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I did the exact same thing yesterday in 100 degree weather, the link greywolf posted should help you as it has an exploded view of what's going on inside that handlebar. When I did it I just had to fish out the extra parts I left behind with a magnet wand thing and then when you're about to put it back together just slide each part in one after the other. Once you have them all in just put bar end (and barkbuster spacer if you have it) over the hole and put the screw in gently while kind of screwing it in, hoping it catches the nut on the other side. Once you have it on the nut the screw will just spin for a while and eventually tighten up, and then you're done!

Hope it works out, I'm sure it's even hotter where you're at.

· Registered
493 Posts
Or, you could put the whole thing together (recommended) and then insert it in the bar and tighten. That way there is no "hoping" it catches, it is already attached and you don't have to fish loose bits out of the handlebar (again) if it doesn't catch. Tighten it just enough so that it is just snug to insert and it will tighten right away, no spinning.

· Registered
20 Posts
Or, you could put the whole thing together (recommended) and then insert it in the bar and tighten. That way there is no "hoping" it catches, it is already attached and you don't have to fish loose bits out of the handlebar (again) if it doesn't catch. Tighten it just enough so that it is just snug to insert and it will tighten right away, no spinning.
What he said, it's definitely easier if you don't have the hand guards to fumble around.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Presto. Got it done late last night. Luckily I had a long thin pick with a hook on the end so I got the last rubber piece and nut right out. Reassembled it all and barely hand tightened, slid it and turned the screw.:hurray:

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.