StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my DL1K for almost a month and noticed it right away when i started riding it. My left hand kind of cramps up. It's like a dull ache really. Not sure if its the position of the bars, or the size of the grips, or if it's the extra tension from the clutch. I suspect it's the thinner bar grip doing it.

I was thinking of adding some foam grip covers.

Will these negatively affect my grip warmers?

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the same problem with my sausage fingers. I put HD oversized grips on my Road King and it cured my hands cramping. I think grip puppies are the cure for my V Strom. I have heated grips too and don't think they will heat them up though.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Grip puppies slow down the transfer of heat from the heaters, but still work ok. They do help with the cramping,but so does resting a finger or 2 on the levers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definitely spring for some grip puppies. They really add to comfort. Year round comfort.

I've found that with heated grips, they're good to around freezing. Below that, I strap on the hippo hands and can go all day.

The grip puppies also help me because I don't have a throttle lock or cruise. I just keep changing my grasp on the throttle, letting different parts of my hand take the pressure, and have gone 6-hours + without hand cramps. And good gloves help as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I had the same problem at first on the Vee coming from a CBR that had larger grips. I found that my problem was simply that I was gripping the bars too tight. Really, that's all it was. I didn't change anything, but as I got more comfortable on the bike, my grip relaxed and the numbness stopped happening. It still happens once in a while, but only when the riding is stressful (freeway in high traffic, but all moving 70+ or in inclement weather).

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to order some of the Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring but their website keeps throwing errors related to picking the shipping method, and yet i don't see any way to select a shipping method. Wierd. I guess i will have to call them later unless someone knows of another source for these?

I tried Adventure Motostuff but they want $13.29 for the same item. Why should i pay an extra $4 for the same thing.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
grips and cramps

Yeah, I had the same issue with my paws. Bigger grips and cramp busters and I am all set. No need for cruise control. Now if only monkey butt was as easy to cure...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had grip puppies because of all the positive reviews. Ditched them halfway through a 2,000 mile tour because they totally killed the steering feedback. I like to feel what is coming through the bars. YMMV.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Put a pair of bar risers on. They really improve the feel and cut down on hand and arm fatigue. I bought the ROX 2" and there is no need to replace any lines or cables. Just reroute them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put msr low bend atv bars ( dirt cheap) on top of Rox pivoting risers(not cheap) , less bend and adjustable position a bit leaning back,, the comfort difference is soooo good , this has been the best change I've made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts