StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please post a close up picture of the left and right grips with a view from the front of the bike looking back?
I am specifically interested in seeing how the cables are routed through the hand covers. I have a suspicion that my hand covers are upside down for some reason.

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Pat, are those the stock Suzuki hand gaurds? They look quite different to the ones I had on my '09 650... I opted for a set of Barkbusters this time around for my '11...

·
38,103 Posts
The OP has a 1000 but didn't specify the year. Those pictured are the earlier models. I'm guessing that would be why he's thinking they look different. I didn't find pics from the front but here's a rear look at the '04 and later style.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I don't have any close-up shots, but these should give you the general idea. I originally bought the handguards for my 05 wee. When I put them on my 09 (pictured), I cut a notch in the right one so the throttle cables cleared it more easily. I seem to recall reading that the guards were updated when the ABS bikes were introduced in 07, but don't quote me on that.
I think it would be pretty hard to install them upside down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry fellas, the bike is an 05 Vee. Here are a couple of pics that show what I am refering to:

This is the right grip (as seen from the front of the bike). It has a grove to allow cables to clear but it is not really necessary for the clutch cable. It also seems like it is missing a screw at the top.

This is the left grip (as seen from the front of the bike). Notice the throttle cables where I am pointing at. They seem a little stretched and one is showing signs of wear due to rubbing. This cover does not have a grove to allow cables through. Is this correct? :confused:

·
38,103 Posts
You have a DL650 hand guard set. It won't fit the DL1000. Suzuki has that wrong in the literature. Hand guards come stock on the DL1000 and replacement parts are the way to go if the originals were lost. The right side will fit but not the left. The throttle reel on your pic is rotated down too far. It should be higher.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
What greywolf said. The DL650 has a cable-actuated clutch instead of hydraulic, which is what you correctly guessed the groove on the left guard is for.

That bolt that's missing a screw on top should be on the right side. The long hex barrel is a spacer and should be inside the guard, with the missing screw holding the top of the guard in place.

Even when you have the right set of guards, the installation is kind of odd. The bar end part is the same on each side, but the inboard mounts are totally different.

By the way, the instructions (and the manual, and pretty much every other reference) refer to left and right when facing the direction of travel -- so the clutch lever is on the left grip, you operate it with your left hand.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like now I am in the market for the correct set of guards. I knew something looked odd. Just searched eBay and have not found a set yet. There is one that says it's for both the 650 and the 1000. I won't trust them.

·
38,103 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like now I am in the market for the correct set of guards. I knew something looked odd. Just searched eBay and have not found a set yet. There is one that says it's for both the 650 and the 1000. I won't trust them.
That's wise. It's a repeat of Suzuki's wrong info. DL1000 guards do not come as a set. Only individual replacement parts are available.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's wise. It's a repeat of Suzuki's wrong info. DL1000 guards do not come as a set. Only individual replacement parts are available.
Any recommendation as to where to get them? Would I have to go through the dealership?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Purchased from Mr. Cycles :thumbup:

Thanks GreyWolf!

·
38,103 Posts
You may have noticed the fiche pictures look like the 2002-2003 guards regardless of year. Rest assured the later models do not look like the drawings and are correct.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I even called them up to verify cause there were 2 sets on the fiche.

The parts guy looked it up and told me the fiche number 1-1 and 2-2 on the fiche were listed as OEM for the 05 Vee.

10 bucks shipping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New (and correct) hand guards are installed. Took a little bit of work as I had to swap the hex screws from left to right but I ultimately got it.

Thanks to all for your help! :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
PhotoRyder: Windscreen question for you? What is the make of that windscreen? VSRI? How do you like it and do you have a source, price? Looks like your Vstrom is pre 2004? Mine is a 2003 and I'm interested in changing the windscreen from stock. Thanks from Atlantic Canada.

Oops! Those pics just below your original post may have been from GreyWolf and not yours... sorry for asking. Maybe the owner of the VSRI windsheild can respond. Thanks all.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The VSRI logo seen on the windshield in those photos is a sticker advertising the bike owner's membership on the VSRI forum. As GW said, it's not the windshield brand.

·
38,103 Posts
It looks like an 002 below the VSRI. That would make it Peter's old bike. Login
He rides a BMW GS now. That goes back to when the stickers came with 3 digits. My number is 3777. I joined four years into V-Strom availability. The latest person to register is #20,628.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts