StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any hams on the board? I know "Whynot?" is, any others? Stop in and say hello.

I don't have a burning desire yet, but I was just curious if anyone has tried or looked into mounting up a 2-meter system. I was thinking a handheld in a pocket on my tankbag or backpack with some sort of headset up into the helmet. Any other ideas?

I suppose I could just cruise the Internet all day while here at work to find out how other riders are doing it.

Steve
K6OST

·
Registered
383 Posts
i got my tech no-code back in middle school, it lapsed when i went to college and the world of women and beer came in to play, my call was N2UAG, at the time since i was so young it stood for Under Age Gigolo....not too bad eh? I have thought about getting back in to it, since I still have all my of 2 meter equipment, just haven't had time yet. . .i'd like to get my old sign back, i don't know if the fcc would do that or not.
alex

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not a ham but use my Yaesu VX-6R (modified) with a Motocomm headset when officiating professional bicycle races that have commercial band radios for the cage and stage-bound officials and we piggy-back on their frequencies. Using the commercial band radios on a motorcycle without a headset and PTT connection is a real PITA and dangerous to the riders and others involved in the race.

At lesser races and when traveling to and from races we're usually on FRS or GMRS radios that work with the same headset.

A number of the officials have gone the Autocom route but since I'm a parsimonious SOB and the Motocomm works quite well for me, I've elected not to spend the money.

Since the only time I use this gear is in races with licensed radios I've not taken the time to get a license. I don't think I've ever used a pure 2-meter frequency.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just say hallo again for the Ham's as KF6RYV. I do not have yet to install any of those but was thinking about a Yaesu VX5 which I have try earpiece/VOX capabilities. As of now I ordered the Nolan N-Comm system which I will connect (using multimedia vire V) to my Zumo 550 and that will be connected to the phone. Once this works I am planning on building on this system and see if I can connect the ham radio to the ear piece and microphone already in the helmet and if use a PTT button on the left handle bar....

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Yup, another one here. WA4TTK - first licensed as WN4TTK in '76. I've been inactive for the past few years but still have my stuff stuck in a closet.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See? I just knew there were a few hams here. Hello to all!

·
Registered
383 Posts
just an FYI to all, this thread made me want my license back, i picked up the ARRL book up for my technician license as soon as i posted on this thread, and i am testing on 4/21....picked up a yaesu vx-7r today as some motivation and i'll be reapplying for my old call sign (N2UAG) as a vanity call sign....I'm excited, thanks for the motivation and stirring up an old interest! It's amazing, I got my license at 13, and i'm 27 now, kind of regressing maybe???
either way, i was STUNNED to see that code is no longer required to test!?!?!? amazing, i guess it is a way of streamlining things, yet parts of the bands are still CW only...hmm....
alex

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yep I'm ham too. Have not ever operated on the bike, but will be interested to see what you come up with :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another Ham

Yep, I might as well join in to. Callsign: N7IBC. Location is McCall,Idaho.
I have the VX6R. I am trying to adapt it to the bike, and have a bracket that I ordered from Sportsmans Guide that fits the handlebars.
It's a butt-ugly mount, and large, but the radio is solid once strapped in.
I bought the CT-19 adaptor that goes from the radio to a Pryme SPM-800 closed face helmet speaker/mic system.
It receives well, but when I transmit, it does so a moment, then unkeys.

I have not yet figured that one out.

I am just using the handheld antenna on the radio as it is in the clear, and not touching anything.

If anyone of you has any ideas in that area, I'm open to suggestions.

I am also on HF radio if anyone is so inclined to try and contact each other that way.

crash50

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I'm going to bet that you can find a pretty decent ram mount solution for your handy talkies. I'd also try remote mounting the head units (if you can do that) to the handlebars, and have the radio on the tail rack or under the seat (heat permitting).

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm going to bet that you can find a pretty decent ram mount solution for your handy talkies. I'd also try remote mounting the head units (if you can do that) to the handlebars, and have the radio on the tail rack or under the seat (heat permitting).
I tuck the Kenwood D700A under the seat with the head unit in the tankbag. No problem except draining than battery when I set the APRS beacon at 30 second intervals in cold weather -- if I'm using heated clothing. I added a Kisan charge guard a month ago so I can keep an eye on the charging system.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KA1TOX-10

·
Registered
115 Posts
N9XPP here. I have thought about it but haven't gone any further. I've played around with APRS a bit too. That would be cool on the bike also. My brother is also a ham. He is looking into getting a bike. We thought it would be great bike to bike simplex.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mounted my VX6R on the handlebars using a RAM mount with the top component being a RAM111B plate with heavy duty Velcro (the coarse side). I put the soft side on the back of the VX6R. When it's on the bike I loop the tether (wrist strap) over the mirror. Works like a champ and has never fallen off the plate in 15K+ miles.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts