StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Red 05 wee. I have been looking into engine guards and decided to go with the Givi. Now I may not have enough money for the Givi's. Yesterday I was going to Home Depot to pick up a few supplies. I pulled the bike out the garage and put it on the stand. It was idling and I had to go back in the garage to get my bungie tie downs. I got back into the garage and I heard the crash. Somehow the bike fell on the side. I think that the kick stand wasn't all the way forward. First time a moto of mine has been on the ground. Here is the damage: Scratched side cover, broken shift lever, broken hand guard, broken clutch lever, and broken signal. All of this is on the right side. Total Bill: Part only about $370. I am really bummed. I have insurance with a $250 deductable. Here is the question:

Should I use insurance that and have it fixed or is it worth it cause my rate may increase?

The damage to the side cover is not major. Can plastic be repaired and sprayed or am I looking at a new cover?

Has anyone else noticed that the kick stand doesn't seem to have a stong positive position when fully extended?

Bummed out in Utah!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
To me it is worth $120 just to not have to deal with the insurance assholes, let alone take the hit on a rate jump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How did it fall on the right side? Or did you mean left?

I managed to scratch the left side fairing AFTER I had the Givi's installed. Was doing parking lot practice, got unbalanced doing a real slow turn and it fell over and hit the curb (right above the crash bar). Have about a dozen 1/2 inch vertical scratches along the fairing. Maybe I'll fix them someday, but for now I'm just letting them give the bike "character".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left side

Sorry about that It fell on the left side. My bad. The surprising thing is that it took about 30 seconds to fall after I put down the stand.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I 'd fix the stuff myself. You can probably hunt down the 370 worth of parts for 1/3 of that. On this forum, ebay, etc...

IMO, I wouldn't get insurance involved unless it's something I couldn't easily replace ie bent frame damaged engine, front end etc.

To answer your other questions, yes plastic can be repaired. And yes the stand doesn't have a good forward positive position.

I have a habit of putting my heel against the stand as I put it down and pull the bike backwards an inch or so. Been doing it for years and on all bikes I ever ridden.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good ideas

Thanks for the ideas. I do all my own oil filter and airfilter changes so the parts wouldn't be too difficult to install. I will try and source the parts on stromtrooper and ebay. I will make certain the stand is pressed forward.

I am feeling better already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry about that It fell on the left side. My bad. The surprising thing is that it took about 30 seconds to fall after I put down the stand.
I am soooo paranoid I check the stupid kick stand every time.
When I first got the bike I thought it was fully extended and it wasn't but I was lucky enough to catch the bike as it started to head over (pulled a muscle catching it)

Now I double and triple check it every time.
I know one of these times I'll forget and I too will be buying parts.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Buell Ulysses are notorious for this, but not V-Stroms.

When I asked about the scratches on the left side of the 05 I bought used, I was advised to drop it on the right side, so they would match. Depending on the color, it can be difficult to match.

Many of us swap the turn signals to Buell Ulysses (about $12) since they're cheaper and more flexible.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have developed a habit, compulsion perhaps, of putting the kickstand down and giving it a kick from behind before I even touch it to the ground. Seems to work and I never even have to remember it, I just do it by habit.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Leave insurance out of it. It's not worth the hassle for this small of an amount.
Scratched side cover - Just leave it... it adds character.
Broken shift lever - Replace, maybe with a folding shift lever.
Broken hand guard - Upgrade to something tougher like Barkbusters Storm handguards.
Broken clutch lever - Replace.
Broken signal - Upgrade to flush mounts or Buell signals. Either option is tougher AND cheaper than the OEM eggshells.

By the way, do you always put your bike in neutral when you park it? I'm willing to bet that you do. If you leave your bike in 1st gear, it won't roll and mishaps like this are far less likely, even if you don't get the side stand fully deployed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I always give the kickstand an extra little kick to make damn sure it's against the stop. I've had my bike roll off it once too.

Leave the insurance be. All those parts are easy to replace, so do it on your own. Unless the scratches are real bad, I'd probably leave the side panel for a while. Until you're really used to the bike, there's always a chance you could lay it over again.

If it makes you feel any better, both my levers are "shorty" levers due to this kind of nonsense, and I've changed my front signals over to Buell signals.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You may not even need a new shift lever. I broke the tip off mine in a fall and it left the little knob that I drilled and tapped and put a bolt in with the original rubber shifter pad on the bolt. All of $0.50 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have developed a habit, compulsion perhaps, of putting the kickstand down and giving it a kick from behind before I even touch it to the ground. Seems to work and I never even have to remember it, I just do it by habit.

At least I'm not the only one. :D It's just something that happens now... like gearing up.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm feeling better already

I will probably not replace the side cover yet. I will spend that money on a set of Givi guards... the side cover isn't scratched too badly. I will also be more careful putting down the stand.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do Buell signals look like on your bike? Any Pics?
There's a pic of me and the bike in this post: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showpost.php?p=439532&postcount=4

They don't cover the indention in the fairing, they fit inside of it. Unless people know they're not the original signals, I guarantee nobody would ever notice.

The signals are oval instead of angular like the stockers, and they're a little shorter. Much, much more flexible and less likely to break. You can twist it and bend it 90 degrees, and it'll just snap back into position.

I used the rear signals from a Buell blast. There's a left and a right, due to a drain hole on the underside. Simple upgrade consisting of splicing the suzuki wire connection onto the Buell's wires. Throw away the 11 watt bulb and the amber inner lens, put a 22 watt (or is it 24?) amber bulb in, and you're good to go.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I managed to push mine off the side stand with the mower deck on my tractor. That was the first and only time I dropped it, but it still hurt. A lot of epoxy (turn signal was in 6-8 pieces) and some hand rubbing on the fairing, and it was good to go again.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I will probably not replace the side cover yet. I will spend that money on a set of Givi guards... the side cover isn't scratched too badly. I will also be more careful putting down the stand.

Cheers.
You can fix that cover. You'll need 1 can each of Urethane Primer, Urethane Color Coat, and Urethane Clear Coat from Colorite. The scratches can be filled with glazing putty if they're not too deep, just spooge it in and let it dry. Then sand till smooth. Really deep scratches may need to be built up in a couple of layers of glaze. Then sand the whole part enough to put a haze on it. From that point follow the instructions from Colorite for finishing. It's amazing how easy it is to get a factory-look.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We're busy dropping Stroms all over Utah, so don't worry about it. Mine slid out from under me on a clay road in New Mexico and I've decided to keep the scratches as a tribute to wet mud ;)

I wouldn't hit insurance for it. They are looking for excuses to bump your rates up. It sure is a racket!

Anyway, you need any help with it just let one of us Utards know and we'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the insurance front, you could always call your agent (if you have one) or sales & service and ask them what the threshold is for rate increases (hypothetical of course!). In many cases, as long as the insurance payout does not exceed $500, there is no automatic rate increase. However, if you then file another claim, they rate for both. If you don't end up having another mishap, you might be passing up free money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts