Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was camping this weekend when I needed my tool kit.
The lock would accept key and try and turn, but it wouldn't turn either way. I can't remember which direction opens seat.
I've sprayed WD-40 in key hole, forcing key close to breaking point. I've had someone sit on seat, hit it with dead blow hammer, all to no affect.
I'm thinking my air hawk under seat might be holding cable or something???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,069 Posts
Have someone sit on/beat on/cuss the seat while you hold pressure on the key. It is a clockwise turn to release on all V STroms I have had, but I don't have the new 1000's.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bugzy. I now know what I'm dealing with. I hate to drill a hole if I didn't have to. Wonder if I could pull plastic out a bit to get a screwdriver under plastic. I'm thinking a strap from airhawk worked its way under cable, so even if was to access that lever behind key hole, I would still need to clear obstruction at latch end.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See if this helps

Thank you so much for that video Bugzy. After looking at cable placement, I was sure that the airhawk was the culprit.
Was able to pry back of seat up enough to get a coat hanger with a hook on it, and to grab enough of airhawk to get some needle nose pliers on the edge of it, and then my hand on it. Was able to yank it out through crack. That freed the cable.
That was super nice of you to shoot that video. Made all the difference. I owe you a drink.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy Paco uses an airhawk. He was the number one mileage guy in the world last year. 80,000. He's tried them all, and says it works better than anything he has used. He's tried them all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm good with it. Just a word of caution. Be careful what you put under your seat.
He did say he liked the Russell Day-long as a close second.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Thank you so much for that video Bugzy. After looking at cable placement, I was sure that the airhawk was the culprit.
Was able to pry back of seat up enough to get a coat hanger with a hook on it, and to grab enough of airhawk to get some needle nose pliers on the edge of it, and then my hand on it. Was able to yank it out through crack. That freed the cable.
That was super nice of you to shoot that video. Made all the difference. I owe you a drink.
No problem, glad I could help and you were able to sort it out.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
My Terry Adcox was pretty close to a RDL I tried on a 650. I would not say the RDL was better. The wings were a bit too firm IMO.

My friends wife works at Roho in Belleville, IL (about 30 miles from me). They make Airhawk. I have been trying to get a blemished one they won't sell cheap or free. She tells me the main problem with Airhawks are they are stolen off of bikes.

I'm good with it. Just a word of caution. Be careful what you put under your seat.
He did say he liked the Russell Day-long as a close second.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
I would not say the RDL was better. The wings were a bit too firm IMO.
This has to be the first complaint I have ever read about with RDL. I had one, it was fantastic, but they are not cheap.

Perhaps you had one made for someone heavier? They have an extra strong spring they put in if you weigh more than 235lbs or something.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Its a common comment on the RDLs. The firmness makes it a bit more difficult for some to put their leg straight down to the ground. You have never heard that? :surprise: I am sure you will find it on a Google Search.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Here you go. Took 5 seconds to find. It is a pretty common complaint. I might say that every RDL owner has said this when I asked but I am sure a few have not and I have just forgotten.

"The Russell day long seems to be the best option for an aftermarket seat based ... fabric that provides some venting but might be tough to towel off when wet. ... The wings are too wide to allow dropping you legs straight down."

Russell day long seat - BMWSportTouring Forums

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Hmm interesting. I never had that problem as I just scooted forward and put my leg down. I thought you were referring to the actual comfort of the RDL. This isn't so much a comfort thing as a functional complaint. ;)

I remember a Corbin seat on my 2004 DL1000 that had that issue though, it was very hard and wide at the front, and despite being lower than the stock seat it made it harder to get my leg down.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I tried them all pretty much when I got my TA on my Wee2. I wasn't impressed at all with the Corbin (too stiff). The stock Vee2 seat is good compared to the stock Wee2 seat that was awful. For my typical day rides I have no problem with the Vee2 as is. It isn't as comfortable as a TA or a RDL but I don't have any numbness or pain after 3-4 hours. I may get a TA for it in the future just for additional comfort. It especially helped the rear seat for the few times my wife rides.

I just rode about 100 miles. The weather is supposed to be great here the next week or so.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
My Air Hawk 2 has little ropes through the loops to keep it in place and stays quite forward of the seat latch.
Musta been a fluke of interference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts