StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 wee started to experience poor running until point that it hardly ran at all. Knew it had to be a fuel problem (many thanks to this forum) so took the tank off and found the fuel pump full of rust along with fine rust in the tank. Cleaned the low pressure filter and bottom of the tank went riding ran much better. To be sure I took it down again and rust was already starting to collect in the low pressure filter so decided more work needed to be done.

After much cleaning the rust is out of the tank and since I knew the high pressure filter had to need replacing I followed the steps referred by this forum to bypass the internal high pressure adding an external, whole conversion including new seals was less than $50, much less than the almost $300 for just the filter from Suzuki not to mention how much easier and less expensive future filters will be to replace. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/board,15.0.html

Bottom line my bike runs so much better there is no comparison. Crack the throttle and red line is there in an instant, something that never happened before. Love your wee or vee, trust me you can love it even more! Thanks again to all you folks! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
What caused the rust in your tank? Seems like there is some other underlying problem beside the fuel pump.

·
Registered
543 Posts
payman,

Getting back to the original issue of rust in the tank, that's not a good thing.

Do you store the bike with a partially-filled tank over the winter? Somehow air and moisture are combining on the interior surface, and chances are the situation won't get better.

There's a thread on ADV about removing tank rust using an electrolytic process:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581870

Might be a good idea to attack what's already there and then work on prevention.

BTW, thanks for the external fuel filter info...something I've been thinking of doing also!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts