StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved my H4 headlight relay kit today from EasternBeaver.com. It was shipped direct from Japan and took about 2 weeks.
I have not installed it yet, but it appears to be of very high quality, something like a factory componant.
Cost incl. shipping to Canada was about 65.00cdn.

Will update once installed.

Cheers

FYI
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
You'll like it, Bro. It works as advertised, and very well at that. I've installed them on my cruiser and the Wee, and am very satisfied with the results. I also use Sylvania 9003 STs instead of the H4s. . . same bulb, same specs, lower price.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very good to hear, havnt installed it yet, still 4ft of snow on the ground... ;(

Cheers

·
0 Posts
I'm going to be ordering a BUNCH of stuff from Jim in the near future.....but I've got to ask.....

Is there any benefit for using this harness if your keeping your stock bulbs?

If so....How?

I'm just curious....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The stockers will be brighter because they get more juice through the shorter, heavier wires. I haven't heard of any widespread Hi/Lo beam switch problems but the relays will take the brunt of the switching current instaed of the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I'm going to be ordering a BUNCH of stuff from Jim in the near future.....but I've got to ask.....

If so....How?

I'm just curious....
Yeah, the juice goes straight to the bulbs rather than through a convoluted mess of wires, which means brighter bulbs, no matter what bulbs they are. Or so the theory goes.

If you're thinking about relays, you might consider Jim's relay/modulator combo, which is what I have. It gets lots of attention from people on cell phones.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Jim's also got a headlight cutout-to turn off ONE of the headlights to save some juice. It'll work with the relay kit.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts

If so....How?

I'm just curious....
YES! The fact is the VStrom stock bulbs are excellent bulbs. You won't need to change them after installing relays.

I'm not sure what the stocker compare to but they're German made Osrams. Not sure if they're the same as a silverstar or not.

I replaced my stock bulbs PIAA super brights and couldn't really tell a difference. The PIAAs are the brightest bulbs I've ever tried and I've tried a lot of bulbs. Well now I've got two good spare bulbs :)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I replaced my stock bulbs PIAA super brights and couldn't really tell a difference. The PIAAs are the brightest bulbs I've ever tried and I've tried a lot of bulbs. Well now I've got two good spare bulbs :)
+1. Extra bulbs here too.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I installed the kit. Pretty straight forward, I removed the left side of the fairing for easy access to the headlights. Wired directly to my junction block that I have near my battery.

I am pretty certain the lights are indeed brighter, but will have to wait until I drive it and if I can remember enough to be able to compare.

One thing I have noticed though, and I have contacted the fellow that makes them, is that when I switch from hi beam to lo beam, both turn sig indicator lights on the instrument panel flash for a very brief second. The signals themselves do not.

This would indicate a momentary loss of ground within the instrument panel indicators.

Will see if this is a normal phenomina or if there is a problem.

I have double checked my connections, and the power is direct to the battery.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I've had Jim's relay kit on my Wee for about 2 years & haven't noticed that at all...

·
Registered
376 Posts
<snip>
One thing I have noticed though, and I have contacted the fellow that makes them, is that when I switch from hi beam to lo beam, both turn sig indicator lights on the instrument panel flash for a very brief second. The signals themselves do not.

This would indicate a momentary loss of ground within the instrument panel indicators.

<snip>
The relays act like ignition coils when the power is removed from their coils, and this transient spike can cause the turn signal indicator LEDs to flash. Good explanation is at http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf (scroll down to Voltage Spikes) I was playing with making my own H4 kit, installed large (40 amp) Bosch style relays on my K5 1000, and noticed the same thing. You might have a bad relay?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts

I have double checked my connections, and the power is direct to the battery.

Cheers!
Mine does the same. Probably normal.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recieved very prompt attention from Jim at Beaver, I am satisfied with his response, it is something he is looking into. I appreciate dealing with a manufacturer or dealer that responds quickly.

For the time being, I'm not going to worry about it. The nice thing about this set-up, is that should there be a relay failure, you can just unplug and hook your lights back up the original way.

Cheers

·
Registered
376 Posts
<snip>
For the time being, I'm not going to worry about it. The nice thing about this set-up, is that should there be a relay failure, you can just unplug and hook your lights back up the original way.
Cheers
Laid awake this morning (5 am) and got thinking about this - the relays are spiking because there is absolutely no load on the relay when the switch is opened. The energy in the coil has to go somewhere when the switch is opened - on Hi beam it can go to the Hi beam indicator, but Lo has no path. I disconnected one lamp, and plugged the spare connector orphaned by the relay kit onto the lamp - no flashing turn signal indicators. (plugging a spare lamp into the open connector would have also worked). I would guess any load put on the spare connector (very small lamps, or backward diodes) would stop the flashing.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I was also thinking the same thing, and that a diode in the system would take care of it.
Will see what Jim comes up with. As it is, its not a big deal, the indicators light up for only a millibleep of time.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Yes, I was also thinking the same thing, and that a diode in the system would take care of it.
Will see what Jim comes up with. As it is, its not a big deal, the indicators light up for only a millibleep of time.

Cheers!
I'm pretty sure that when the indicators light up the high-beams are not yet on, which means a delay between switching between low and high and actually getting the high-beams on. Not a big deal unless you really need those high beams in a hurry, like if you're flashing at someone with the little red flash trigger.

On my bike, it's a little longer than a millibleep. Maybe two or three tenths of a second, which is about how long you would flicker your high-beams for.

Thanks for bringing this issue up. I'm very curious (especially since I'm electronically retarded).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm pretty sure that when the indicators light up the high-beams are not yet on, which means a delay between switching between low and high and actually getting the high-beams on. Not a big deal unless you really need those high beams in a hurry, like if you're flashing at someone with the little red flash trigger.

On my bike, it's a little longer than a millibleep. Maybe two or three tenths of a second, which is about how long you would flicker your high-beams for.

Thanks for bringing this issue up. I'm very curious (especially since I'm electronically retarded).

It only occurs when switching from HI to LO, and there is absolutaly no delay in beam change.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
It only occurs when switching from HI to LO, and there is absolutaly no delay in beam change.

Cheers
Hmmm. Maybe the modulator makes a difference. It's got a little light senser thingy that tells the system if it's light or dark out (shuts the modulator off and gives you high beams).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts