StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is an H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit, either from Eastern Beaver or a home made verison worth the money or effort? I understand the theory is to got more voltage to the light. I did it to to my old (1986) VFR and I don't recall being a notable difference.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Test it for yourself. Rig a voltmeter across the headlight bulb terminals with a pair of jumper wires and compare the voltage at the burning bulb with the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running at the same rpm...or the engine off. The only way a relay kit brings more voltage to the headlight bulbs is if the stock wiring is way too skinny and causes a voltage drop. I don't think this is the case. If you test it, please let us all know. By the way, my Vstrom headlight wiring is bigger gauge wiring than my Toyota Tundra headlight wiring.

I don't think the relay kit is worth it with stock wattage headlight bulbs. Yes with over wattage bulbs. I'd rather use high output stock wattage bulbs, although those have a shorter life than stock bulbs.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A big benefit of a relay kit is to prevent problems with the stock wiring. Many troopers have had problems with the normally closed contacts on the starter switch, the connector under the rubber boot, the connector behind the radiator or the hi-lo switch contacts. Add a relay and all those potential problems go away. The energy going into overheating and compromising those connections goes to the lights instead.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The justification for a kit on these bikes is that on the stock set up, all the voltage (and amperage) that powers the headlights also runs through the tiny contacts in the flash-to-pass, high beam, and headlight cutout on the starter switch. When these contacts make or break over hundreds of cycles, they can arc and become pitted to the point of failure.

Search for 'sudden headlight failure' and you'll see that it's bad contacts that caused it.

With the relay kit, you're using the existing circuit as trigger voltage for the relays (substantially less current draw), and the power for the headlights comes right off the battery.

Will a headlight relay kit alone make your lights burn brighter? Hard to tell with mine installed, but the peace of mind knowing that they won't face sudden failure is worth it to me!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Will a headlight relay kit alone make your lights burn brighter? Hard to tell with mine installed, but the peace of mind knowing that they won't face sudden failure is worth it to me!
Yeah, they are brighter if you compare one bulb with the stock connector and one with the relay, but as you said, that isn't the main justification for the kit.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Test it for yourself. Rig a voltmeter across the headlight bulb terminals with a pair of jumper wires and compare the voltage at the burning bulb with the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running at the same rpm...or the engine off. The only way a relay kit brings more voltage to the headlight bulbs is if the stock wiring is way too skinny and causes a voltage drop. I don't think this is the case. If you test it, please let us all know. By the way, my Vstrom headlight wiring is bigger gauge wiring than my Toyota Tundra headlight wiring.

I don't think the relay kit is worth it with stock wattage headlight bulbs. Yes with over wattage bulbs. I'd rather use high output stock wattage bulbs, although those have a shorter life than stock bulbs.
It is the case, there is a very measurable voltage drop. I found out when I wired my voltmeter into the headlight wiring instead of directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Just wanted to point out that VFRs have factory headlight relays so not much to gain there. That's one reason Hondas cost more.

The H4 Dual Relay Kit is the first thing everyone should put on their VStrom.

Consider that when you press the flash to pass button, all four filaments light up. That's 20Amp running through all them skinny stock wires, connectors and switches. Something is going to burn up eventually, and maybe even sooner.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,
Is an H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit, either from Eastern Beaver or a home made verison worth the money or effort? I understand the theory is to got more voltage to the light. I did it to to my old (1986) VFR and I don't recall being a notable difference.

I did this and the difference is huge. My lights are much brighter, and now I worry about the guy in front of me being pissed off.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry to Zombie-resurrect this thread, but I was curious whether the draw on the battery is higher with the relay kit installed, or does it just eliminate wasted current?

i.e.: if you put the relay on, are you drawing more power or about the same wattage from the electrical system compared to the stock installation?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
More power goes into the lights instead of heating up the wiring and regulator heat sink. If there is worry about powering heated gear, switch to HID lights. They take less power while providing more light, don't pulse with the heat controller and the kits include a relay.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
ZZZtttttt.............

Just last night, I ordered Jim's EB PC-8, H4 Relay kit with 1-sided cut-out feature, a rocker switch to engage the cut-out mode, and an accessory plug kit going to the dash area. Been waiting for all this so I can wire up:
1. GPS
2. Heated Vest
3. Heated grips
4. Accessory Plug (for running an air pump)
5. Digital Gear Indicator

I can't wait to run some "war".............:mrgreen:

·
Registered
359 Posts
installed relay kit

Just want to say thanks for all the great info. I do lots of night riding and had no idea what a difference this upgrade makes with just stock bulbs. Lights used to dim when using rear breaks even with new battery. I would not have done this upgrade without reading the stuff on this forum. Thanks again everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts