StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a lot of searching on here and can't quite determine how necessary this is. What is the downside of NOT shelling out the $65 for this? What are the chances of that downside coming to fruition?

Anyone have any issues installing with the H4 coupler connection?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
We had to do a parking lot improvise (hot wire the lights with a toggle switch straight off the battery) about 1,000 from home last year on our 4,000 mile road trip. Sucked , but worked. E/B fixed that when we got home. That was on a buddies 05 650.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
There was a poll of owners who have had issues with headlight problems: http://www.stromtrooper.com/information-vault/71046-headlight-problems-not.html.

That thread also covers some accounts from people who have had headlight problems.

The downside for not installing a relay would be the failure of your headlights if the stock wiring in the starter switch failed. I don't know how likely that is to occur, but 41 people who responded to the poll said they had starter switch problems. I just installed an Eastern Beaver relay. Seemed like a relatively inexpensive preventative measure to take, and it was recommended by guys who are a lot more knowledgeable about this bike than I am.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Did a lot of searching on here and can't quite determine how necessary this is. What is the downside of NOT shelling out the $65 for this? What are the chances of that downside coming to fruition?
I look at it as preventive maintenance. The EB harness is well-made and easy to install.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
See the poll at http://www.stromtrooper.com/information-vault/71046-headlight-problems-not.html and figure if you feel lucky. If you know how to wire relays, you can do it yourself for under $10 if you don't mind cutting in to the stock wiring.[/QUOTE

Never like to push my luck. Is the do-it-yourself method the one described by Unicacher? That looks pretty involved...and may justify the extra $55. Any recommendations (anyone have any problems) using the H4 coupler connections?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Never like to push my luck. Is the do-it-yourself method the one described by Unicacher? That looks pretty involved...and may justify the extra $55.
I figure by the time I went out and bought the parts, the EB harness was a better deal. I don't like to cut into harnesses and prefer to make connector adapters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
See the poll at http://www.stromtrooper.com/information-vault/71046-headlight-problems-not.html and figure if you feel lucky. If you know how to wire relays, you can do it yourself for under $10 if you don't mind cutting in to the stock wiring.[/QUOTE

Never like to push my luck. Is the do-it-yourself method the one described by Unicacher? That looks pretty involved...and may justify the extra $55. Any recommendations (anyone have any problems) using the H4 coupler connections?
The EB headlight relay was one of the first farkles on my bike. The H4 coupler makes it plug and play, just wrap it and the spare coupler with electrical tape. That said, after a year I tidied thingd up by removing the male and female couplers and replacing them with EB insulated bullet connectors and removing and taping up the left over H4 connector.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
I look at it as preventive maintenance. The EB harness is well-made and easy to install.
Same here. Pretty much plug and play.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I would rather deal with a known issue now at my convenience than some random time when I'm far from home. If it happens I'll likely not notice the problem until night time so I could be effectively stranded. As far as building your own harness it is hard to beat the EB plug and play for quality and dependability, especially if you value your time. Easy to transfer to your next machine also.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. Easy install. I consider it a must do before it fails type of thing.
It is one of a few "Known issues" with the DL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
69 people indicated a problem relating to headlight issue in the poll. There are 35,353 registered members on this site. The numbers do not suggest any known issue regarding headlight wiring.

·
38,048 Posts
The number of people with problems visiting the poll is a small fraction of those who have had problems. The number of people who know the poll exists is a tiny fraction of the total membership. The real fun is if you lose the ground connection to the fairing. Then you lose all the lights up front and use of the instruments.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
69 people indicated a problem relating to headlight issue in the poll. There are 35,353 registered members on this site. The numbers do not suggest any known issue regarding headlight wiring.
The poll isn't scientific, and I think you're misinterpreting the data that it provides. Your assumption would be relevant if all 35,353 members had been directly polled and responded; then, 69 would be an insignificant number. The poll is informal, and was phrased in such a way that only people who had problems would be able to respond. The fact that 69 people reported problems with headlight issues (of which 41 said the issues were directly related to starter switch wiring) may or may not be statistically significant. However, the explanation for why some of these starter switches burned out was significant enough for me to address the issue. The fact that more expensive motorcycles have headlight relays does indicate to me that the engineers do recognize that routing the amperage of the headlights through the small contacts of the starter switch is not the best design.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just wanted to point out that the number is low and are many reasons why a contact can go out. Our headlights are rated at 55/60 watts. That's maybe 4.6 amps max on that circuit. 24awg wire is rated for 4 amps, 24awg is a thin wire. I don't know the precise size of the wire going to the our headlights, but it is much thicker than 24awg. Come to your own conclusions. I hate to see good money thrown after bad.

·
38,048 Posts
It's not the wire, but the contacts and connectors that perish. Tests show the headlights get about a full volt more with relays. I want that going to light rather than heat in the electrical system.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 28 Posts