StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first bike; a brand new 2008 DL650 ABS and it currently has 300~ or so miles on it. I placed an order for a H&B centerstand (plus a few other things) from Adventure MotoStuff. After it arrived, I tried to install it following the instructions posted bu Scubadvr on vrsi (http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=121170707212). The only difference I found is that all 4 of the spacers are the same height instead of the 2 for the smaller bolts being 2mm shorter. (The parts sheet lists them as the same piece 150.982 size 18x11x9)

The install went fine without any hiccups until the end where I noticed the foot of the centerstand on the left side comes into contact with the chain when in the up position. I pulled it apart thinking I may have made a mistake and put it together again to find the issue is still there. I have taken it off for now, but am still curious as to what the problem may be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I did take some pics, and can post them. Unfortunately I forgot to put the camera in macro mode so they came out a little blurry. If need be I can put the stand on again and take fresh ones if it would help.

Thanks in advance all.

-pop'

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I recently purchased my first bike; a brand new 2008 DL650 ABS and it currently has 300~ or so miles on it. I placed an order for a H&B centerstand (plus a few other things) from Adventure MotoStuff. After it arrived, I tried to install it following the instructions posted bu Scubadvr on vrsi (http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=121170707212). The only difference I found is that all 4 of the spacers are the same height instead of the 2 for the smaller bolts being 2mm shorter. (The parts sheet lists them as the same piece 150.982 size 18x11x9)

The install went fine without any hiccups until the end where I noticed the foot of the centerstand on the left side comes into contact with the chain when in the up position. I pulled it apart thinking I may have made a mistake and put it together again to find the issue is still there. I have taken it off for now, but am still curious as to what the problem may be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I did take some pics, and can post them. Unfortunately I forgot to put the camera in macro mode so they came out a little blurry. If need be I can put the stand on again and take fresh ones if it would help.

Thanks in advance all.

-pop'
I noticed the same thing on mine. Well, almost. It wasn't quite touching, but closer than I liked. I had some hard rubber laying around and cut out some disks the same diameter as the rubber stop on the H-B stand. Glued them together and and then glued them to the stop. That was enough to keep the chain out the centerstand foot, as long as I don't let the chain get loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the same thing on mine. Well, almost. It wasn't quite touching, but closer than I liked. I had some hard rubber laying around and cut out some disks the same diameter as the rubber stop on the H-B stand. Glued them together and and then glued them to the stop. That was enough to keep the chain out the centerstand foot, as long as I don't let the chain get loose.
I thought about doing that, but was concerned it would would hit the chain at some point. I took a measurement and about 4mm of the right side of the left foot comes into contact with the chain. Right now I'm tossing around the idea of returning/selling the H&B one and going with another one that might have more clearance. On that note, does anyone happen to know if the Suzuki OEM or SW-Motech centerstands have more clearance than the H&B one?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I just installed a SW stand and it has much more clearance......must be an inch or so anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave Adventure Moto Stuff a call and spoke with them about the clearance issue. They said that it is fairly common, and that when you put the bike in gear; the chain will tighten up and it will not be an issue. They actually went and double checked on their strom to confirm theirs to was hitting the chain. I think I may do what Rich did and keep it for now.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I gave Adventure Moto Stuff a call and spoke with them about the clearance issue. They said that it is fairly common, and that when you put the bike in gear; the chain will tighten up and it will not be an issue. They actually went and double checked on their strom to confirm theirs to was hitting the chain. I think I may do what Rich did and keep it for now.
I've got 10k on the setup now, no problems. FWIW :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Mine rubbed a bit to, but no problem so far:D

Jerry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reassuring posts guys. Tomorrow morning I'll reinstall it and then begin working on installing all the other goodies I recieved in the mail :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts